Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Official Discussion 7x06 - The Crack in the Code

layle1

[1]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 72
    Sorry for the late post, everyone. I've gotten spoiled here . Please use this thread for discussion of the final (sob) episode before the long hiatus, The Crack in the Code.
    Edited on 01/12/2012 6:40pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Watashii

[2]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 2
    I liked the episode because its not the typical procedural episode. It actually is a story arc, but the criminal being intellectually superior and deceptive is kinda "been there, done that" for Bones, although making the killer a computer genius is kinda new. I really like how the bones were able to download a virus on Angela's computer. Quite ingenious. But other than that, its been done.

I love Bones but so far, I don't like the character interaction especially between the couples. Bones and Booth are like googly eyes with one another. I thought Bones would be more apprehensive about being a couple. And as for Booth, I've made a thread about Parker. It is like he never had any history before the pregnancy. Where is Jared? I don't know. I know Booth and Brennan have to end up together but I thought it would have been extremely difficult being together. Like there is no longer any couple tension in the lab. Angela and Hodgins are together, Booth and Brennan are together, Sweets and Daisy are together. Camille is always going to be alone, I blame the writers.

I think something else big should happen, other than the pregnancy. For example, the Jeffersonian stops being an FBI consultant or something. I think they have run out of ideas. I know this may sound mean but if Emily didn't get pregnant, they would have nothing new to add.

Last rant, and it is off-topic. I don't like the new intern. I'm tired of genius delinquents. Him having a questionable past is so similar to Wendell. I'd rather have Wendell be a permanent intern.

blackmage8472

[3]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 15

I was kinda excited for a new villain... until he crashed a computer by carving on bone. It just seems a little too much in the realm of science fiction for me.

LindaDykstraH

[4]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 1

I am sad, the time changed and now I can't watch it. I have to wait until it is released on the internet. I would race home on Thursday night just in time to catch Bones. Now when I get home it's over

BarryWeen3

[5]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 14

blackmage8472 wrote:

I was kinda excited for a new villain... until he crashed a computer by carving on bone. It just seems a little too much in the realm of science fiction for me.

It actually isn't that too far-fetched of an idea. Fractal patterns are generated in nature and you can create fractal patterns yourself also. For example, drip artists create fractal patterns in their artwork.

If you remember in the episode, Angela mentions that the edges of the ribs, I think it was the ribs, all had fractal patterns on them. The new villian had encoded his worm into those fractal patterns and as soon as Angela's computer program read those fractal patterns into its system it started running the worm program which caused her computer to crash and burn.

A computer worm is just code and codes can be made up of fractal patterns, so the idea that the 'bones' contained a computer worm isn't too much of a stretch for me.

I liked the episode and I think he'll make for an interesting villian, especially if he's as smart as I think they're going to write him, he'll be like a master chessplayer and be 3-4 moves ahead of everybody as they play catch-up.

I kind of wonder if they weren't forecasting how this new villain will be caught when he has that conversation with Booth where he states that by making things more complex to make them secure, we actually make them more insecure and then Booth answers it's simple guys like him that catch people like him.

So I'm thinking it's going to be something simple and non-techy that will trip the villain up, just a feeling.

Good episode. I do also echo other people's sentiments about why isn't there any mention of Parker?

Looking forward to the return of this villain, or as he calls himself The Hacktivist.

Now another 2 and 1/2 months or so till the next episode...sigh...well, at least there's still Castle, Once Upon a Time, and Person of Interest.

nhcool_007

[6]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 8

This episode was actually quite interesting.

When I first saw the murder scene and human gut being used, I was like uh oh another cannibal sort of thing.

but I think the whole tech savvy super intelligent antagonist is quite an interesting arc.

I loved how Bones kept reiterating that he couldn't be smarter than she is.

"I don't know anyone whose smarter than me" LOL

BarryWeen3 wrote:

I kind of wonder if they weren't forecasting how this new villain will be caught when he has that conversation with Booth where he states that by making things more complex to make them secure, we actually make them more insecure and then Booth answers it's simple guys like him that catch people like him.

So I'm thinking it's going to be something simple and non-techy that will trip the villain up, just a feeling.

And I agree with this speculation.

Plus the virus on the bones was genius. And again as above explained, its not entirely impossible.

And now the long wait.....Sigh.

D_S1985

[7]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 5

I love Bones and I think last night's episode was great and very smart. But I have one problem with this season, Parker. They only mentioned him once and not once did they tell us how he reacted on the news of Brennans pregnancy. It's like Parker doesn't exist any more and I really that.

elle_elle213

[8]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 4

First off, I hate that they moved Bones to 8 so they can make room for a show I can already see is not going to make it. Mostly it's annoying because 30 Rock and Parks and Rec are on at the same time and to be honest the way this season has been going I'm more likely to keep tuning into channel 4 instead of channel 5.

I thought the case was interesting and I like that they've begun a story arc with a new villain. It's also interesting that we already know who the killer is. This arc is all about how they end up bringing him down and how many more people die before they do. I wonder how long he'll be around. He hasn't really gone up against Brennan yet and given the size of this guys ego he's going to want to go up against the good doctor.

Now, I've been trying to give it a chance, but I have to say it. The magic...the spark between Booth and Brennan is gone. There is no tension between them. HH said the new tension would come from the couple stuff BB have to deal with and I think they could have pulled it off. It's pulled off in fanfiction-shout out to my favorite author va32h(Seriously check out her stories on fanfiction.net-It's like reading the perfect episode of Bones). It could have been pulled off, but they're just a boring couple now, shopping for a house, sitting in the living room talking about a case....There's no more banter. It all seems a bit forced, even on David and Emily's part. Sigh-I didn't want to say it, and I'll still watch the show on Friday when it's on hulu because I'm loyal, but I'm hoping everyone gets it together before this great show officially jumps the shark.

Jemadari

[9]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 12

I've never though Emily was a bad actress, I just never thought she was anything special, anyways that look that Brennan gave Sweets when he compared finding a gift for Daisy to her search for a home was damn near oscar worthy, compared to her other displays of emotion, imo

Really looking forward to the new villain, they went all out with this one and he seems to have designs on getting in the heads of every member of the team so this could be fun

evil_guru23

[10]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 7

oh c'mon! that URST thing is ancient! i for one has been so tired of it, and glad that phase is over. now, can someone mention that this feels like old Bones again?! Ska-doosh!

Edited on 01/13/2012 9:02am

bmoshier

[11]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 46

Watashii wrote:
    I really like how the bones were able to download a virus on Angela's computer. Quite ingenious. But other than that, its been done.

Up front, I really like the episode and the new direction the writers are taking us both at the business and personal level for the characters. I enjoy how the current suspect (OK, the villain) has a reasonable and honorable goal. It is his obviously bad choices of method that make him evil. One can pity him for not seeing he's as bad (if not worse) as the people he tries to expose.

Sigh, though. Your comment on the virus points out the one part of the episode that really got me upset. Many people are going to believe they/you/someone can scan a virus or Trojan Horse into your/their/any computer. You can't!!

I'm not saying something you scan can't cause your computer to act incorrectly, as it can. What I'm saying is the computer isn't misbehaving because you uploaded/scanned a virus, Trojan Horse, or malware. Why? What you scan is data and computers don't execute data - unless someone sabotages it in advance.

So while it is possible for what we saw to occur, it isn't for the reasons given in the story. The reason it is possible is because someone sabotaged the computer (built and cocked the gun) in advance and the scan "pulled the trigger."

What makes this even more "scary" are the possibilities this sabotage method gives to its user. While Angela says the "bone" added a zero to the fan control, how do we know that is all it did? Maybe before it added the zero it affected other computers on the network, including the security system or even set itself up to access the home computers of people working at the lab!!

How might it really work? Given our new "super villain" already showed he can break into computer systems, it is reasonable to have had him previously break into (one or both):

1) The lab where Angela works or
    2) Into one of the software companies that makes products used by Angela.

In either case the guy (or gal) would create a program to look at each image entering the computer by whatever means (uploaded/downloaded) and look for a predefined image. Think of this like being an username and password. When the code sees the proper image, it would then break apart the rest of the fractal for additional steps / instructions. The implications are:

1) This image analysis code could be in more than just the computers used by Angela.
    2) The code before it it added the zero to the fan control was able to affect other computers at the lab. NOTE: This is an assumption given most companies don't firewall each computer and the internal network. Firewalls typically are external. Even very security minded sites using compartments don't firewall each computer or even each application.

NOTE: The concept and usage of sandboxes is the closest one can get to really providing application level security. Yet, a really good villain can get past this by affecting the sandbox code, itself. My Senior college project was on operating system security and how one can bypass most if not all security by getting access to the hardware thus bypassing any designed security, audit trails, etc. Id' be happy to discuss this offline should it interest someone.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing where the writers take us with this villain. Hopefully they'll take us on a wonderful roller coaster ride that doesn't end as quickly as real roller coasters seem to end, but give us a long line of twists and turns. Who knows maybe this villain can end up helping them with a serial killer or two or three before he's put away.

Oh, here's a thought! Once caught, he's judge mentally defective for some reason and ends up with Zack, who notices ... well, another wide ride could start ... just a thought.

bonebooth

[12]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 5

I loved this episode. Actually, my favorite of this season. They finally have an interesting case, and a very challenging killer. Great to see Caroline again, more interactions with all the other characters too. Loved when Sweets couldn't believe that Bones was actually listening to me, so funny! It just really felt like the old Bones again to me. I'm glad Bones was pleased with that house, it would scare me!! Way too much work!! The only down side to me is that we have to wait until late March or April for the next episode. Very happy with this one though!!

lei_006

[13]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 9

I guess the thing I liked about the new bad guy is that he is

smart/resourcefull enough to challenge Brennan,

"antipatriot" enough to make Booth furious,

artistic enough to compete with Angela,

and brings the cospiracity nut-case that is Hodgkins alive... (always fun to watch)

So the entire team of the Jefersionian is challanged... that is what kept the episode entertaining. They know (at least for now) who the killer is but they can't prove it.

Aside from that, the episode had just the right amount of B/B. "You found our house" was a sweet moment as well as "Our daughter just kicked because she likes her room". I think was cute, but as soon as Brennan said it I was frowning. It was wierd coming from her. Guess that shows how much she is grown.

Fav lines.

"I don't know anyone who is smarter than me"

"Mr. Lincoln seems to be intact" (I cracked up when she said that).

"Don't mention Booth to Booth, he will shoot you"

Geri08

[14]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 31

Review...The Voice of TV...

http://thevoiceoftv.com/recaps-and-reviews/bones-review-the-crack-in-the-code/

Geri08

[15]Jan 13, 2012

Review...TV Fanatic...

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2012/01/bones-review-death-goes-digital-house-hunting-remains-in-paper/

Geri08

[16]Jan 13, 2012

GMMR...

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2012/01/13/bones-recap-the-crack-in-the-code/

Geri08

[17]Jan 13, 2012

Buddy TV...

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/bones/bones-recap-cryptic-message-in-43455.aspx

and

Cliqueclack...

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2012/01/12/bones-crack-in-the-code-review/

Geri08

[18]Jan 13, 2012

Paul Levinson...

http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2012/01/bones-76-reassember.html

Geri08

[19]Jan 13, 2012

Overnight Ratings...

http://thevoiceoftv.com/nielsen-tv-ratings/thursday-january-12-2012-overnight-broadcast-ratings/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Bones did well but not Finder...

CrazyAsian1080

[20]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 7

Watashii wrote:
    Angela and Hodgins are together, Booth and Brennan are together, Sweets and Daisy are together. Camille is always going to be alone, I blame the writers.

She technically has a child and is dating that guy. She just isn't involved with someone in the lab.

I personally don't like the main villain. I don't mind you find out right away who it is. The idea behind the character isn't bad. I just don't like the performance. There is just something off about the acting or the writing.