Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Official Discussion 7x06 - The Crack in the Code

Krissy24

[21]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 10
    2 1/2 months to a new Bones ...at least there is the Finder...I think it could be a good show..But it's no Bones. Does anybody know how many episodes are they doing this season?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Justlikeheaven_

[22]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 33
    layle1 wrote:
    Sorry for the late post, everyone. I've gotten spoiled here . Please use this thread for discussion of the final (sob) episode before the long hiatus, The Crack in the Code.

I did not realize that it was going to be the last episode for awhile. It was just off on hiatus for the holidays. boo. that stinks. When does it come back???

BarryWeen3

[23]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 14

Krissy24 wrote:
    2 1/2 months to a new Bones ...at least there is the Finder...I think it could be a good show..But it's no Bones. Does anybody know how many episodes are they doing this season?

If you mean the Finder, it's a 13 episode season, so I don't think Bones won't return any sooner than April.

If you mean Bones, there's a total of 17 episodes ordered but the Bones crew was set for 13 episodes as the extra 4 episodes was ordered later. Don't know if the extra 4 episodes air this season, be a mini summer season which was the original idea, or be folded into the next season. HH has said that they had prepped the season finale for the 13th episode.

BarryWeen3

[24]Jan 14, 2012

Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    layle1 wrote:
    Sorry for the late post, everyone. I've gotten spoiled here . Please use this thread for discussion of the final (sob) episode before the long hiatus, The Crack in the Code.
    I did not realize that it was going to be the last episode for awhile. It was just off on hiatus for the holidays. boo. that stinks. When does it come back???

The Finder is 13 episodes, so assuming a possible 2 hour season finale, the earliest that would return Bones is April 5.

The Finder (1/12, 1/19, 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/22, 3/29 (2 hour)).

Edwinhubble

[25]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 1

blackmage8472 wrote:
    I was kinda excited for a new villain... until he crashed a computer by carving on bone. It just seems a little too much in the realm of science fiction for me.

I agree with blackmage here. Bones is Fiction, and as such, I expect them to make certain stretches in order to produce a good show, but sometimes they cross a line. It seems that the show is always crossing this line with horrible misrepresentations of technology. That is not how computers work.

bmoshier wrote:
    Sigh, though. Your comment on the virus points out the one part of the episode that really got me upset. Many people are going to believe they/you/someone can scan a virus or Trojan Horse into your/their/any computer. You can't!!

I'm not saying something you scan can't cause your computer to act incorrectly, as it can. What I'm saying is the computer isn't misbehaving because you uploaded/scanned a virus, Trojan Horse, or malware. Why? What you scan is data and computers don't execute data - unless someone sabotages it in advance.

bmoshier definitely knows what he's (she's?) talking about, and everybody should read his post again. Perhaps if somebody like bmoshier were a writer for Bones we wouldn't have so much bad science hoisted on the viewers for no reason.

I made this account today because of what I saw on Bones. I'm not trying to troll or anything, I just don't know why the writers, who seem so clever sometimes, resort to such terrible science. I hope that whomever sees this stuff can realize that the characters and story arcs aren't the only fiction in the show.

BarryWeen3

[26]Jan 15, 2012

Edwinhubble wrote:

I made this account today because of what I saw on Bones. I'm not trying to troll or anything, I just don't know why the writers, who seem so clever sometimes, resort to such terrible science. I hope that whomever sees this stuff can realize that the characters and story arcs aren't the only fiction in the show.

Terrible science for the most part doesn't bother me as much anymore, such as the those extremely fast GC-MS instruments they have in the CSI shows. Man if I had machines that worked as fast and were as accurate in identifying substances as they have on the CSI shows, I sure could have gotten my chemistry degree much easier.

There have also been a few instances in movies where the chemistry terms or science is so bad it does bother me. A really bad example, forgot which movie it's from, was they had written the chemical structure of ozone as 3 oxygen atoms in a triangle all double bonded to each other, which would never exist, I just think they just liked the symmetry of the impossible structure they drew.

moustasch1

[27]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 3

I loved this episode and the new villain. While not on par with The Gravedigger (my favorite), yet, I'm excited to see where the story goes. To me Bones was always best when they had an antagonist who was on the same level as the they are.

TV takes a lot of liberty with time-lines. The characters and story can't wait a couple of weeks for a DNA test or show us how they spend every working moment examining tissue or other evidence, or questioning suspects and alibis. If you want to see reality watch The Discovery or History Channels. Only a relative few know the actual science of trojans and worms and computer hacking so the "bad science" aspect doesn't concern me as much as the story-line does. It's just a quick way of moving the story along and for most of us it works.

Supposed "bad science" aside my only complaint about the episode would be that if the guy's so good at hacking stuff why hasn't Booth figured out yet that he must have done the same to his ankle bracelet and try to resolve that?

What I really don't understand though are the complains about Booth and Bones' relationship. For years everyone wanted them to get together and now they're complaining because they are. Before they were stuck just talking about the cases because they couldn't talk about anything else because they didn't want to, or couldn't, acknowledge any kind of relationship between them. Now it's a mixture of both their cases and their personal lives, as it should be with them as a couple. The writers are just experimenting with the relationship and, in time, will settle on the perfect balance.

RajivC

[28]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 2

Personally, I liked the episode a lot. I have no quarrel with the couples behaving like couples. I think that it is quite normal, and frankly, I am happy that they have moved from this "will they-won't they" phase to the part where they are real couples. Now, catching criminals can be a family business! The interaction between Bones and Booth is perfectly normal and natural, and this is brilliant.

The case itself is intriguing, and it introduces a new criminal of exceptional intelligence and cunning. The scene at the end, where Booth's and Bones' names are circled in the article points the way forward, and I am quite excited to see what will come.

Dreamlorde

[29]Jan 22, 2012
    • level: 1
    I came here and registered specifically to complain about this episode and a disturbing trend I'm seeing. Not because I expect any regulars here to care what I think, but in the hope that if enough people speak up the writers will catch wind of it and change the direction they're taking this in.

I haven't seen every single episode of Bones and I haven't committed to memory all the episodes I HAVE seen - but I've watched a fair amount and I'm a pretty big fan. If I weren't, I wouldn't care enough about a bad episode to come here and write about it. In my time, I've noticed little in the way of logical errors on the show and it's one of the things I dearly love about Bones. I absolutely hate it when writers can't even get their own facts straight; when they contradict themselves, forget or completely drop the past, and so on. You create a fictional world, I agree to understand that it's fictional and suspend my disbelief as much as I need to. But fictional worlds still operate within a set of rules and those rules are created by the writers. So don't expect to be able to break your own rules and get away with it. That's not asking for a suspension of disbelief anymore, it's asking us to excuse bad writing. We never saw Superman munching on Kryptonite cereal for a reason - it would have totally violated the rules of that fictional universe.

I'm not a physicist or a forensic anthropologist but I *do* have an IQ somewhere between 145 and 150, so I'm usually able to smell BS when it's right under my nose. Although I've never seen computers that work exactly like those on Bones do, I haven't seen them do anything with computers that can't be done. And the technology as a whole has seemed to be within the range of modern possibility. Until now. Writing code on bones and then scanning it into a computer to create a virus = flat-out impossible, for reasons already stated by other posters. I don't know if the writers underestimate the education and intelligence of Bones' fans or what, but personally I'm insulted. The world of Bones that I know is NOT anything like Stargate and I would hate for it to become that. I have a feeling that there are more fans of Bones who pore over the details and appreciate the accuracy of them than there are blind devotees who simply accept whatever they're fed.

I remember the first problem I had with the show - I don't remember which episode it was, but Bones made herself a microwave meal. And I thought - wouldn't a woman who knows everything about virtually everything be well aware of BPA? And even allowing the infinitesimal chance she had no knowledge of it at some point during the show, does anyone believe that once she became PREGNANT she wouldn't have learned about it while researching health and nutrition? No way.

The next issue I had was with Finn. I've been around the world and met a lot of people. Most people are in most ways more or less the same but there ARE some who break from the common rules. There are weird ones, inspired ones, psychotic ones, and even a minute few who are not EXACTLY the person they appear to be. But just as all those foolish women and girls looking for a 'player with a heart of gold' out there are sure to be disappointed, there is no such thing as an ultra-genius who talks like an uneducated hillbilly with a criminal past and a heart of gold. Yes, television shows abound with characters that simply do not exist in real life - but not Bones. I'm glad we only saw this fella once.

BPA - a big deal, really. I couldn't believe that Bones would not know about it or accept that she'd know about it but not protect her and her unborn from it. But I kept watching. Finn - utterly ridiculous; made the whole show a joke with his presence, but they got rid of him so I kept watching. And now viruses written on bones activated by being scanned. At this point, I'm watching with a wary eye. There are a lot of things I still love about the show, but they don't excuse getting stupid, silly, or sci-fi on us. I hope they straighten it out.

josiebelle

[30]Jan 27, 2012
    • level: 9
    Wow, seriously? Ok, so the bone-virus thing is a bit of a stretch, but forget it and move on. Nothing you can do about it, anyway.

But the other things... are you for real? Who says you can't have a highly intelligent person who made mistakes when he was younger, is a good person and has a strong accent? Are you saying smart people do or don't talk in certain accents? Is no one with his kind of accent intelligent in your eyes? I just can't fathom what you are saying without interpreting what you said to mean that people with strong accents like Finn's are stupid. Which is extremely closed minded.

As for the BPM thing. I had never heard of that once in my life.. And I just researched it (albeit briefly). From what I saw it's still unclear what exactly it does, or how, or what levels of exposure are a concern. I live in Australia and apparently no one here currently thinks it's much of a concern, as long as you follow manufacturer instructions on baby bottles. And the only reference to a microwave I saw was a suggestion that microwaving baby bottles isn't a good idea. So I'm not entirely sure your outrage over a microwave meal is all that well-placed. It really only seems to be an issue with baby bottles, if that. And besides, we all survived. If pregnant women followed all the advice thrown at them about what to eat or not to eat, what to do or not do, they'd be stuck in a ridiculous bubble wrapped limbo. I agree that I certainly raised my eyebrows at the virus-on-the-bone thing, but I love this show, and I'm not going to let a few creative liberties for the sake of story telling get my panties twisted. I thought it was a great episode and I can't wait for the return.

Justlikeheaven_

[31]Jan 29, 2012
    I just have one small question.... Does anyone know when Bones returns for spring?

BarryWeen3

[32]Jan 29, 2012

Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    I just have one small question.... Does anyone know when Bones returns for spring?

It's looking like probably April 19, I think, extrapolating from the number of episodes left of The Finder yet to air and the fact that The Finder is airing with a few repeat weeks and also assuming the final two episodes will air back-to-back. That will allow for the 7 remaining episodes of Bones they already planned for this season to air from April 19 to May 31. Don't know if they will then continue with the 4 extra episodes that FOX ordered.

For Bones to come back earlier, either another show has to finish airing earlier (or cancelled)and/or Bones airs on another night.

FOX's schedule is very crowded right now.

Justlikeheaven_

[33]Jan 30, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Justlikeheaven_ wrote:

It's looking like probably April 19, I think, extrapolating from the number of episodes left of The Finder yet to air and the fact that The Finder is airing with a few repeat weeks and also assuming the final two episodes will air back-to-back. That will allow for the 7 remaining episodes of Bones they already planned for this season to air from April 19 to May 31. Don't know if they will then continue with the 4 extra episodes that FOX ordered.

For Bones to come back earlier, either another show has to finish airing earlier (or cancelled)and/or Bones airs on another night.

FOX's schedule is very crowded right now.

Thanks for the info. It is sooo far away, but atleast there is something to look forward to.

sasilik

[34]Jan 31, 2012
    • level: 8

BarryWeen3 wrote:

blackmage8472 wrote:

I was kinda excited for a new villain... until he crashed a computer by carving on bone. It just seems a little too much in the realm of science fiction for me.

It actually isn't that too far-fetched of an idea. Fractal patterns are generated in nature and you can create fractal patterns yourself also. For example, drip artists create fractal patterns in their artwork.

If you remember in the episode, Angela mentions that the edges of the ribs, I think it was the ribs, all had fractal patterns on them. The new villian had encoded his worm into those fractal patterns and as soon as Angela's computer program read those fractal patterns into its system it started running the worm program which caused her computer to crash and burn.

A computer worm is just code and codes can be made up of fractal patterns, so the idea that the 'bones' contained a computer worm isn't too much of a stretch for me.

It isn't possible to carve some code to the bone and then expect that you get exact same ones and zeroes on computer when you scan it. If you get even one bit wrong then your code is useless. And even if you somehow manage to get code intact then it's still only image data. It never will be treated like executable code. I quite don't understand how just the image can do something bad in computer... Program, that loads the image can do something but then there already was some virus/malware in the computer and the code in the bones was just unnecessary boasting.

BarryWeen3

[35]Jan 31, 2012

sasilik wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

blackmage8472 wrote:

It actually isn't that too far-fetched of an idea. Fractal patterns are generated in nature and you can create fractal patterns yourself also. For example, drip artists create fractal patterns in their artwork.

If you remember in the episode, Angela mentions that the edges of the ribs, I think it was the ribs, all had fractal patterns on them. The new villian had encoded his worm into those fractal patterns and as soon as Angela's computer program read those fractal patterns into its system it started running the worm program which caused her computer to crash and burn.

A computer worm is just code and codes can be made up of fractal patterns, so the idea that the 'bones' contained a computer worm isn't too much of a stretch for me.

It isn't possible to carve some code to the bone and then expect that you get exact same ones and zeroes on computer when you scan it. If you get even one bit wrong then your code is useless. And even if you somehow manage to get code intact then it's still only image data. It never will be treated like executable code. I quite don't understand how just the image can do something bad in computer... Program, that loads the image can do something but then there already was some virus/malware in the computer and the code in the bones was just unnecessary boasting.

It was still interesting.

But I can sympathize that people that know computers and programming are probably annoyed/irritated with the liberties taken in thisepisode, the same way as somebody who has studied chemistry and forensics could get irritated with shows like CSI and NCIS. If my instruments had worked as fast and gave as much information as theirs did, I would have gotten my degree so much earlier...

Ingelief

[36]Feb 17, 2012
    • level: 7

New episode on 3 may??????????????? Thats 4 months???

BarryWeen3

[37]Feb 17, 2012

Ingelief wrote:

New episode on 3 may??????????????? Thats 4 months???

No, new episode on April 5.

Ingelief

[38]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 7

On this site it says:

Season 7, Episode 7
    The Family and the Feud
    Airs 5/3/12
    Thats 3 may right? Not april

BarryWeen3

[39]Feb 18, 2012

Ingelief wrote:

On this site it says:

Season 7, Episode 7 The Family and the Feud Airs 5/3/12 Thats 3 may right? Not april

That has to be an error because FOX has already officially announced that Bones returns on April 5.

Geri08

[40]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 31
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Ingelief wrote:

On this site it says:

Season 7, Episode 7 The Family and the Feud Airs 5/3/12 Thats 3 may right? Not april

That has to be an error because FOX has already officially announced that Bones returns on April 5.

Yeah Matt...you are correct! April 5th it is