Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

OFFICIAL DISCUSSION 8x1 - The Future in the Past

layle1

[1]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the eighth season premiere "The Future in the Past." Welcome back!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hirundine

[2]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 26
    This one was pretty fun, all things considered. I stopped watching as they aired midway through last season and caught up, more or less, within the last week. Seemed like even with two eps and a break there were some things that got rushed (sweeping the final resolution of the "triangle" into the montage made it feel a little anticlimactic to me), the break I took from watching it had me scrambling to remember who all these dramatic friends and nemeses of Brennan's were, and as a rule I still have more "shouting at the screen" moments than I did with this show back in the day, but maybe I'll make time to actually watch it again this season.

elle_elle213

[3]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 4

It was a good season opener. Loved the BB obviously. There were a few things I'm wondering about though. Booth throwing in at the end that he was mad at Angela was sort of random. Booth's actions towards Brennan says he's not mad, but it seems like he's sort of holding some anger in. Also, remember the end of last season when we saw Pelant in BB's house? What did he put in there? Did I miss an explanation somewhere? Angela breaking the code was a bit anti-climactic. Most of the drama seemed to come from the music they used with Pelant. I'm looking forward to next week's episode though. It looks fun.

thabeatles772

[4]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 18
    Even after the many many times that I have read the words "Pelant's sticking around all season," I was still sitting here thinking omg they've got him hahaha nope he just stole good old 'Art McGregor's' trick and changed his identity -.-
    Anyways other than that I thought this episode was great. Soooo glad David kinda got his chance to "go at it on the washing machine" with Brennan haha ..DID NOT AT ALL like it when booth said he liked Brennan better blonde!!! :/ hannah, becca, tessa flashback moment is not fun when BB are meant to be having awesome lovey dovey moments on top of a washing machine.
    But Christine saying "dada" was adorable , and the flower communication was really cool. Cam giving Clark his dream job was so sweet and Booth's gratitude to Angela for everything she did for him..

blackmage8472

[5]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 15

I know this will sound picky and I don't know nearly enough about US/Egypt relations. However, I felt Pelant last season was too smart to be realistic (Carving computer code on bones). And now getting theEgyptiangovernment to get him out of a murder charge... just feels too a little cartoony without explanation. It felt a little too Dues Ex Machina... more so than Raising Hope when the serial killer mother turns out to be alive and is awarded custody (Yes, more cartoony than that).

Edited on 09/18/2012 3:20am

Geri08

[6]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 31

GMMR Recap...

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2012/09/17/bones-season-premiere-recap-the-future-in-the-past/

DavidPickles

[7]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 7

what is this horse sh!t ?

pelant used his grandfathers sword there would be some form of dna on it/prints puts him in the frame /scene of the crime ?

why didn't the fbi raid pelants house/computer for noobs class ?

and despite having a 'new id' who else is there to take the fall ?

total bollocks..

other than pelants miracle alibi the prem was great..

haldrey

[8]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 22
    Great premier, just one ehhh, the blond bones. Thank goodness it was just for one episode.

B_craggs

[9]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 2

Loved the episode, hated the hair. It was cute when the baby was saying dada; Booth's baby voice was even cuter. Bones take down was pretty cool too. The episode wrapped up pretty well, and you could almost put a bow on it except for that one little identity hiccup. I actually loved the fact that Hodgins almost killed Pelant, I thought it was pretty bad ass. I also understood why Booth was angry with Angela even though I wanted to tell him to shove it and get over it. Anyway, I hope the writers explore Pelant's character a little more; at the moment he is a little underdeveloped.

Ingelief

[10]Sep 18, 2012

great ep but that end!! PFF horrible, how fake! His granddad can id him? The old photos bones father found can id him. There is no one in egypt who knows him, now family you cant change your entire ID..

Sorry but this is .... and what i also dont get bones disappaired for 3 months while she was a suspect is that no crime? She can go back to work again?

I didnt read about pelant but he will be here all season?! I hate him and the story line. Its to much pelant already for me

am i the only one who doesnt like the story line of pelant this season more then this ep?

Hirundine

[11]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 26
    I get the feeling that the core of the cases in the show, the forensic anthropology, is something the writers have done their homework on and more or less "know," despite the usual hiccups.

The "tech" elements have felt on shaky ground to me since the beginning, as they are in most TV shows whose in-universe explanation of a show's compressed timeframe, viewer-friendly imagery, etc. is "oh, y'know, computers" (just like in fantasy shows it's "oh, y'know, magic").

While perhaps they feel the bar's been raised pretty high over the seasons for a brilliant and diabolical villain who can outwit the team, inventing a Big Bad whose crimes are so heavily computer-based seems like setting themselves up for plotlines that come across more and more as fiction/fantasy and less like the "good science" the show seems to pride itself on even today (what with the lampooning of Hollywood fact-checking in Suit on the Set).

But we'll see.

welnoc

[12]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 9
    Ingelief wrote:

am i the only one who doesnt like the story line of pelant this season more then this ep?

No, you're not the only one. I hate the idea of Pelant being around for a whole season. I was completely underwhelmed by the season premier and I don't think I'll be watching too much longer.

I'm rather sad now.

neokid0298

[13]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 8
    I was bored of Pelant after the episode he was introduced in, simply because he was completely and utterly ridiculous ("coidng a virus on the bones" was incredibly cringeworthy)

BarryWeen3

[14]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 14

neokid0298 wrote:
    I was bored of Pelant after the episode he was introduced in, simply because he was completely and utterly ridiculous ("coidng a virus on the bones" was incredibly cringeworthy)

I liked when they introduced Booth's opposite number, Jacob Broadsky. I thought that was done well. And now supposedly Pelant is suppose to be Brennan's opposite number whereas I thought The Gravedigger was a better nemesis for Brennan. The way they've written Pelant, he's like a super-villain.

I don't like the character nor the storyline, and whoopee, he's going to be reappearing throughout this season. Yipee!! (insert massive sarcasm)

Hell I like the Gormorgon storyline better than Pelant and I really didn't like the way they resolved that one either.

drmayeda

[15]Sep 19, 2012
    • level: 5
    Pelant was clever. He had an Egyptian citizen's documents and the Egyptian government helped an Egyptian citizen return to Egypt. I think the US may have tried to do something like that for real. right now the case is closed with a nonprocecutable suspect. Same as that episode "the X in the Xfiles". they know he did it but can't touch him. The same way they couldn't arrest Brennan because they couldn't find her. I was hoping at some point Booth would make arrangements for Booth to hide Brennan in a Marine base. He must have had some connections that could put Brennan in an area the FBI couldn't access or keep her from leaving..

thabeatles772

[16]Sep 19, 2012
    • level: 18
    B_craggs wrote:

. I actually loved the fact that Hodgins almost killed Pelant, I thought it was pretty bad ass.

Yes! Omg I completely forgot about that scene, but yeah Hodgins was awesome. Loved it.

CrazyAsian1080

[17]Sep 19, 2012

You know what would be a neat storyline. Pelant gets killed and the over arcing story for season 8 is trying to figure out who did it.

BarryWeen3

[18]Sep 19, 2012
    • level: 14

CrazyAsian1080 wrote:

You know what would be a neat storyline. Pelant gets killed and the over arcing story for season 8 is trying to figure out who did it.

Though the odds are against this happening, I would be more interested if the capture of Pelant is brought about by Zach and Zach rejoins the show. We all know how smart Brennan is but I always got the feeling that Zach was even smarter, so it would be interesting if Zach takes down Pelant. Probably never going to happen but it would be interesting...

bonebooth

[19]Sep 22, 2012
    • level: 5

For the most part I enjoyed the episode, but, had a few problems with it. First, how did Booth find Brennan so fast? Was that her motel room or his, & if it was his, how did she find him? They didn't really explain that too well. Booth's reactions were also kind of confusing to me. He seemed to go back & forth between being happy to see her again, & to having an attitude with her. He didn't really seem to take into account how hard a decision it was for her to do what she did, seemed selfish on his part. I loved Hodgins, great to see all that emotion come out of him. Sweets was also great, loved his line of how he should really be arresting her, but, it was so good to see her, it's been too long. loved that! My take I guess was that Booth wasn't happy that Brennan was doing what she thought was right & taking care of herself & Christine, maybe he felt his role in her life was threatened in some way, because she can take care of herself. I do have to say though that I really enjoyed the romantic episodes between them, especially the washing machine!!

McTrooperNow

[20]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 6
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

CrazyAsian1080 wrote:

Though the odds are against this happening, I would be more interested if the capture of Pelant is brought about by Zach and Zach rejoins the show. We all know how smart Brennan is but I always got the feeling that Zach was even smarter, so it would be interesting if Zach takes down Pelant. Probably never going to happen but it would be interesting...

Wasn't Zack killed by Pelant? I know Brennan's friend was killed by him, but I thought they were going to consult with Zack about the case and he was found dead or something.