Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

OFFICIAL DISCUSSION 8x15 - The Shot in the Dark

layle1

[1]Feb 11, 2013
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode "The Shot in the Dark."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geri08

[2]Feb 12, 2013
    • level: 31

Considering how no one has commented on last week's episode, I wonder if it is worth my while posting the reviews and ratings...I have to wonder how many people are still visiting these threads?

TV Fanatic: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/02/bones-review-the-perfect-crime/

Voice of TV: http://blog.voiceoftv.com/2013/02/bones-review-the-shot-in-the-dark/

ScreenRant: http://screenrant.com/bones-season-8-episode-15-review/

Buddy TV: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/bones/bones-recap-49192.aspx

Zap2it: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/02/tv-ratings-the-bachelor-rises-monday-but-the-following-dips-some-more.html

TVbyNumbers: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/12/abcs-the-bachelor-earns-new-season-highs/169218/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

CrimsonDragon24

[3]Feb 14, 2013
    • level: 1

Wow. The reviews for this episode here are pretty strong. They seem to ignore that no specific religion was mentioned in this episode. Sure, she had what could be an afterlife experience, but no religion was attached to it (aside from Bones saying she didn't believe in Heaven or God), and near death experiences do happen to people regardless of their beliefs. I also don't see why it's so hard to believe that her fight with her mother and her mother's last words could have had such a powerful impact on the way she behaves and how she views the world.

As for the episode itself, I thought the idea of a blood bullet was pretty clever. The fight at the beginning was realistic, I mean couples aren't perfect and no relationship is without conflict. I remember in a previous episode Bones worrying that she wouldn't know how to play with her daughter, and the argument about taking a vacation seems to connect to that in Bones needing to relax and have fun without overthinking and analyzing everything. It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of Angela in this episode, which is pretty weird considering how close she and Bones are. In fact I think there could have been more scenes at the lab overall, they didn't seem to spend a lot of time there getting answers compared to other episodes, and the whole investigation wrapped up pretty quickly, it could have been more drawn out.

haldrey

[4]Feb 14, 2013
    • level: 22
    Ice bullet, not a new thing (just that in other shows work and here they do not) but the blood bullet was a nice twist.

bonebooth

[5]Feb 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    Geri08 wrote:

Considering how no one has commented on last week's episode, I wonder if it is worth my while posting the reviews and ratings...I have to wonder how many people are still visiting these threads?

TV Fanatic: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/02/bones-review-the-perfect-crime/

Voice of TV: http://blog.voiceoftv.com/2013/02/bones-review-the-shot-in-the-dark/

ScreenRant: http://screenrant.com/bones-season-8-episode-15-review/

Buddy TV: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/bones/bones-recap-49192.aspx

Zap2it: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/02/tv-ratings-the-bachelor-rises-monday-but-the-following-dips-some-more.html

TVbyNumbers: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/12/abcs-the-bachelor-earns-new-season-highs/169218/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Hi Ger. Sorry I haven't commented as much lately, just been busy. I'm glad you are still posting all the links here, I really appreciate it. Even though I may not comment as much lately, I always enjoy reading everyone's comments.

bonebooth

[6]Feb 14, 2013

This had to be one of my favorite episodes in quite a while now, on many different levels. There were a few things I wasn't completely pleased with, however, I really loved this one.

I loved seeing how excited Brennan was to be able to leave the lab & go home. How many times in the past has she been so happy about leaving there? It seems so apparent how much she loves Booth & Christine that she can't wait to be home. The fight was the first thing I wasn't so happy about. Not that they had a fight, most couples do at some time. It was the way Booth seemed to be on the attack that I didn't like. It almost seems to me that he wants her to change to fit him. He should know by now that she deals in reason, & always thinks things through carefully. He just seemed a bit too aggressive & loud over what seemed like a dissagreement they could have just discussed more. That's just my opinion. As far as her leaving, I was glad she stood up for herself & left.

I've never been a big fan of Cam, but, thought she was great in this episode. She really showed a lot of concern for her "friend" in the OR. She knew Booth would also be upset & need someone to reassure him on Brennan's condition. She was there for both of them.

I thought it was very obvious how Brennan's shooting affected everyone else. Sweets seemed very upset at the blood, & Clark seemed determined to help & try to solve this. Hogins was amazing as well, love the way he came up with the ice & the blood bullet theory, he was great. I did think that Angela could have shown a little more emotion, but, still liked her in this.

One little goof was when Angela was letting Cam & Hogins know Brennan was awake and Cam was relieved. Then she mentioned that Brennan had said the wound site was cold. She didn't mention that fact until after she had woke up.

I liked seeing the change in Booth's behavior after Brennan was shot. He was telling Sweets about the fight, and asking himself why he would say something like that. I suppose it's a sense of regret after you say something in the heat of the moment, in anger. He seemed concerned with what if that was the last thing she would remember him saying, that she was a bad mother. You could really see the regret on his face.

I especially liked all the conversations Brennan had with her mother. I felt like she was a bit angry with her at first, but, slowly tried to understand more. Really came to grips with the loss & the last time they had seen each other. Interesting that the last thing that happened with her mother was a fight with Brennan slapping her hand away. Could have been the last kind of thing to happen between her & Booth, a big fight. I felt like that comparrison had an effect on her too, even though it wasn't mentioned out loud.

I loved Max in this. Lots of great father-daughter connections. Especially at the end when Brennan gave him the message from her mother, something only he would have known. Very sweet.

( sorry if this is kind of long). I really loved it.

jaynebosco

[7]Feb 15, 2013
    • level: 11

The feel of this episode was a lot like The Doctor in the Photo and it felt that this season has been a lot like that season in which none of the episodes really stuck out until one actually did. Some of their best episodes have been when Bones has been retrospective and you get a glimpse of her doing something out her normal self. The reason that I bring up The Doctor in the Photo episode is that not only do you get an insight into Bones' character, but you also have her working at the lab late and also you have the appearance of the late night security guard, although this one wasn't a figment of Bones' imagination.

While I didn't like the fight between Booth and Bones, it felt like something that couples would actually fight over and I think it shows how insecure Bones feels being a mom, especially when she has issues surrounding her mom's disappearance and how it has influenced how she has been guarded about her feelings and why she tends to not wear her heart on her sleeve. Definitely is an episode that will rate highly and is memorable.

wildhoney66

[8]Feb 16, 2013
    • level: 13

i also loved the episode as well. as someone said it's odd that Angela wasn't in the hospital more but than i think she also knew that she'd be kicked out by Bones prolly to get back to the lab ? i dunno just a guess on how bones is.

the fight i also didn't like at the beginning. i didn't think that booth was being a douch i took it as Bones mistunderstanding that he wasn't saying she was a bad mother, he was trying to say that you can't always live by reason like she normally does, you have to live and go on this trip because he loves her and even though christine won't remember it i'm sure, no doubt they'd take pictures to show that they did this as a family.

in short a family vacation. and though i thought it was stupid how she left like that it really didn't bother me cause i knew that was the writers way to get her out of the house & back to the lab so she could get shot. and yes the ice bullet has been done thousands of times. and though i have seen blood bullets done in other shows as well, not nearly as much as ice bullets. and it being that what she got shot with was i think nice and different for a change. honestly i didn't expect anyone from the lab to the the killer.

i half expected it to be penalt. and sorry about my bad spelling i just forget how his name is spelled. no that wasn't advertised as one with him in it that i do acknowledge but the thing is it could have been an episode where the show actually could have surprised us by it being him.

either way it was a great episode. i think this show is still at it's peak to be honest, yes it's made mistakes but what would have made it an even better episode? well other than Max i had no idea he was even going to be there. but where the hell was Russ? Seriously he hasn't been on the show since what season 3 wasn' t it? when Max was set free for killing Bones's mother's killer.

i believe. we haven't seen him at all nor heard much about him either. it's like the writers forgot about him. as far as i know he's not running anymore from the law. also from what i've read about this episode it was said that it was an event that would forever change Bones.

so i wonder how it's going to be played? and as for her last fight with her mother. honestly that made sense to me, with her mom leaving her at 15 and to have her have a fight like that. and taking her mom's words to heart she used that to survive and weather she believes she went to heaven or not. it doesn't matter cause even in dreams stuff can affect you that can in short be yourself in away giving yourself a message of some sort. if that's how she wants to view it as that is.

Geri08

[9]Feb 16, 2013
    bonebooth wrote:
    Hi Ger. Sorry I haven't commented as much lately, just been busy. I'm glad you are still posting all the links here, I really appreciate it. Even though I may not comment as much lately, I always enjoy reading everyone's comments.

Thanks Linda. The Forum has been really quiet of late...I was just wondering when no one commented on the episode the previous week at all. I love reading the reviews myself as we are behind here in Ireland. BTW loved your review...it really gave me a great idea on how the episode went....Thanks

bonebooth

[10]Feb 16, 2013
    Geri08 wrote:
    bonebooth wrote:

Thanks Linda. The Forum has been really quiet of late...I was just wondering when no one commented on the episode the previous week at all. I love reading the reviews myself as we are behind here in Ireland. BTW loved your review...it really gave me a great idea on how the episode went....Thanks

You're welcome Ger!! Hope you enjoy it!! I love reading the reviews as well. How far behind are the episodes in Ireland?

Geri08

[11]Feb 19, 2013
    bonebooth wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:
    bonebooth wrote:

You're welcome Ger!! Hope you enjoy it!! I love reading the reviews as well. How far behind are the episodes in Ireland?

We just watched 8x6 last week (which I enjoyed immensely) and we have 8x7 tomorrow night 'The Bod in the Pod'...So far I am loving S8...getting a feeling of the old Bones again

bonebooth

[12]Feb 26, 2013
    Geri08 wrote:
    bonebooth wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:
    bonebooth wrote:

We just watched 8x6 last week (which I enjoyed immensely) and we have 8x7 tomorrow night 'The Bod in the Pod'...So far I am loving S8...getting a feeling of the old Bones again

I'm loving S8 too!! It does feel like the old Bones again!!