OFFICIAL DISCUSSION 8x9 - The Ghost in the Machine

layle1

[1]Dec 3, 2012
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the 150th episode "The Ghost in the Machine."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djboy77

[2]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 7

This one was incredibly powerful.

I was completely meh, bored and annoyed by the flag-waving September 11 one with its predictable plot points (I was actually naming the plot points out loud about 10-15 minutes before they occurred in the show), and its obvious, but U.S.-specific need to forcibly suck a tear out of the viewer.

But his one was devastating from how simple and honest and real it came off. It wasn't a mass-murder or complicated weaving plot of motives. It was a fly-on-the-wall view of these people going about their investigation, how the job affects them and how they deal with it.

drmayeda

[4]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 5
    I didn't really like this episode. I think it was badly written. View from a third person is always daring but this was too forced to be believable. the "skull" had no place being some of the places it was taken. Placed in the conference room? they take it along when they look for the first burial spot. I really don't see Brennan as taking something like a skull out of the lab and it would cause problems with the chain of evidence. The view of the scanning laser was interesting but those clouds between clips ... I have no idea what that means. I'm not sure what view would produce the information needed to solve the case.

Writerpatrick

[5]Dec 5, 2012
    • level: 13
    I hate it when shows try to get "artistic." But they wanted to do something special for the 150th episode. Had this been shot as a regular episode the flaws would have been apparent. This was a bad episode, but many fans will rate it highly simply because they love the show. I'm wondering if they would feel the same way after five or ten years when the show has been over for a while.

Cindi Lauper should not have her face close to a camera. Her age really shows.

shadyqueen

[6]Dec 5, 2012
    • level: 2

Bones for me nowadays is something to be taped and watched whenever, but I found I really enjoyed this episode. It is so sad and so moving. If as I think, the writers had the intention of getting us to see the bones as the human beings they once were, I feel they reallysucceeded; and the wave to bones and booth's 'song' only made the episode more special.

elle_elle213

[7]Dec 6, 2012
    • level: 4

I thought the ending was a ridiculous attempt to apologize to the fans for a terrible episode. I know it sounds harsh, but carrying the skull to crimes scenes, interrogation room, FBI conference room, BB's home a week after we had the whole no talking about murder thing? WTF? It's like the writers knew the idea wouldn't work, but simply did it anyway. What? Are they just doing middle school project episodes because they know this has to be the last season?

layle1

[8]Dec 6, 2012
    • level: 72
    Just a quick note. This episode was one of the bonus episodes, written and filmed last season. Hart Hanson claims it being the 150th was sheer chance. Since it and the other three bonus eps were written as stand-alones, supposedly there shouldn't be any problems. But you can see the concept didn't quite work with all the continuity issues between the current season and these four.

wildhoney66

[9]Dec 8, 2012

yes i can see that. i don't think as i said in my review of it on here, i don't think it's the worst episode the show's ever done, nor is it the best either. it was an ok episode that did feel out of place compared to the rest of the season. so knowing this was one of the extra episodes

i now can say that it makes sense that my feeling was actually right! and people will prolly rate this episode for some reason as a highlight in as someone as stated in a review of it as a highlight in the next 5-10 years it isn't that good. they had some good stuff in it and some stuff that was terrible. all in all it was a decent episode that had stuff i didn't like it in but it also had stuff i did like in it as well. so when i hear people

are going to stop watching a tv show cause 1 episode is bad it's just plain stupid and immature. all tv series have bad seasons and bad episodes.

even the people who make tv shows will attest to that. so i guess i'm not one of those people that stops watching a show cause it's got a bad seasons. now with a show like say "The Simpsons' that's a different story all together. or SNL another show that was once great and is pure crap now. but i think this show is still pretty damn good and i expect there will be more at some point bad episodes in whatever season the show happens to be in. i think having i think 1 bad seasons which is as i've said season 6. at least the 1st half the 2nd half got better.

that' to me isn't a bad record. other than that since there's what 3 more episodes isn't it? from last season that haven't aired yet i expect they may or may not work. i'm just grateful for a longer season that's all.

Hirundine

[10]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 26
    I missed the last one, maybe two? episodes, they're recorded somewhere or other, and I've been watching the others a bit sporadically. So I can't really rate this ep in context, but as one of their "themey" episodes it wasn't bad. I didn't adore it, but I'd expected it to be worse. One thing -- wasn't that the same species of birch they mentioned in the last (first? whatever, I have no sense of time ) "supernatural" type episode, the supposedly extinct tree from Headless Witch in the Woods?

haldrey

[11]Dec 11, 2012
    • level: 22
    I have never liked this kind of camera handling and I am not going to start now, I do not believe myself but I have to say that this was the worst episode ever of Bones. I basically liked only the Cold Case ending and Bones tear.

wildhoney66

[12]Dec 18, 2012

anyways i now have the entire show on dvd and blu-ray. seasons 1-4 on dvd and 5-7 on blu-ray! yes the show's done weaker seasons than others. but when best buys has the blu-rays for only $20.00 i'm picking those suckers uP! ya know?

i realize this is off topic and i'm sorry about that i just didn't feel like starting a new thread about this that's all. as for this episode i wonder if it was a hit or a miss? i mean by the responses they've gotten by fans. yes there are people who either like it or hate it the way they did this last episode. i didn't like the way it was done. but it was just one episode and i don't think it was the worst one in the entire show's history.

i'm not going to stop watching it cause of one really weak episode though.

McTrooperNow

[13]Jan 11, 2013
    • level: 6
    layle1 wrote:
    Just a quick note. This episode was one of the bonus episodes, written and filmed last season. Hart Hanson claims it being the 150th was sheer chance. Since it and the other three bonus eps were written as stand-alones, supposedly there shouldn't be any problems. But you can see the concept didn't quite work with all the continuity issues between the current season and these four.

Even with that info . . it doesn't make me feel like being any nicer about this episode. Even if you didn't have shaky-cam the whole plot is entirely out of character for the show. The murder that turns out to be an accident had the weakest conclusion ever.
    If the guy wanted to confess why did he move the body? So it wouldn't be cold? That's STUPID!

I don't know how anyone could connect emotionally with the parents, friends, or the accident victim. We didn't even here a good sob story. This girl wasn't going to run off and elope with this boy. The boy didn't seem to have any big plans dashed . . except his infatuation with a girl that would have probably turned him down.

Geri08

[14]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 31

Really enjoyed this episode and was delighted to see Cyndi Lauper back again.