We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

*Spoilers* It's revolting. I can't believe I liked Zack.

horvathgamer

[1]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 8

I'm still relatively new to the show. I've been slowly catching up thanks to my father recording episodes, and finding episodes online. Zack had been my favorite character. I'd heard a snippet about Zack and the Gormogon. I wanted so badly to refuse to believe. Not wanting to wait to watch the episodes in order (I was still in season 2) I skipped ahead. I can't believe I liked that psychopath. He threw away his job, his friends, betrayed them, all to help that evil bastard. I know that he returns for a couple of episodes (my father told me). Hopefully that piece of crap never returns to the show. At least I know the truth now. He is evil, I will have never, nor will I like an evil character (liking an evil person before their true nature is revealed doesn't count).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chaos-Melly

[2]Mar 9, 2011
    I think you may be judging a bit harshly there, if you watch it in order you'll see that he was misguided and led astray by an intelligent monster that was able to use Zacks dependency on logic to twist his perception of what he was asking of him. I too was gutted by the revelation back when I first saw that particular twist but I still love the character.

kanniballl

[3]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 18

They also later reveal that he never actually killed anyone.

He claims he would've had his master asked, but he never wound up doing it. I think he said he just helped the guy out, moving people around and such.

Sweets implied that was huge and might change his current prisoner / patient status but Zack swore him to keep it secret.

They made fun of it in Booth's dream / hallucination, when Dream-Zack messed up some evidence they commented that he was the kind of person that would go to jail for murder when he didn't.

kanniballl

[4]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 18

Plus there's evil and then there's misguided.

Early on in the show they demonstrate that while Zack is brilliant he isn't street-savvy and easily fooled. In some cases, he wasn't very emotionally developed and acted like an innocent kid.

At one point Booth had him convinced that by ignoring him he was demonstrating how much he cared and Zack believed it.

They say that the master essentially convinced him via a route of logic, the one thing that Zack believes in whole-heartily. If something is logical and true, then it's right (in his eyes). To be honest he was only a couple of degrees away from brain washed.

Brennan pointed out the flaw in the logic and Zack finally admitted to himself that it was a mistake.

I'm not saying Zack is innocent or good, but he's not the evil monster under the bed. Sometimes even the culprits are victims themselves.

horvathgamer

[5]Mar 9, 2011

He coworkers/friends were working their butts off trying to catch the gormogon. All the time though (or most, not sure how much time transpired in the arc) Zack knew about the guy. He should have turned around and turned him in the mili-second he had the chance. That's what any non-evil person would do. He essentially spat in the face of his friends. He betrayed them. He helped a sadistic serial killer. Legalities aside, he still betrayed his friends. Only an evil person EVER does that. Zack is an evil psychopath.

grissomsidle

[6]Mar 10, 2011
    • level: 17

He wasn't Gormogon's apprentice the whole time. I don't remember how much time. I think you are missing the point that Zack was mostly ruled by logic. This didn't mean that he doesn't care about his friends. It means as others have said he was misguided. I am sure there are people who have betrayed friends that are not evil. You are turning a complex concept or situation into an oversimplified one. The world does not exist in black and white. There does tend to be shades of gray.

Not to mention people are not one action that they have done. One moment does not equal the whole of the person. Zack made a mistake and he was able to see that when Brennan pointed it out to him.Again you can't define a person by a single moment or even a short series of moments. People are complex. Characters are complex. I dare you to challenge your thought process to challenge your own view on life in general as well as maybe evil. Measure and weigh other people's perspective with your own. I am not saying change it. I am saying take into consideration another view. Really think about it. Take the time.

Edited on 03/10/2011 1:21am
    Edited 2 total times.

KxGx

[7]Mar 13, 2011
    • level: 6

grissomsidle wrote:

He wasn't Gormogon's apprentice the whole time. I don't remember how much time. I think you are missing the point that Zack was mostly ruled by logic. This didn't mean that he doesn't care about his friends. It means as others have said he was misguided. I am sure there are people who have betrayed friends that are not evil. You are turning a complex concept or situation into an oversimplified one. The world does not exist in black and white. There does tend to be shades of gray.

Not to mention people are not one action that they have done. One moment does not equal the whole of the person. Zack made a mistake and he was able to see that when Brennan pointed it out to him.Again you can't define a person by a single moment or even a short series of moments. People are complex. Characters are complex. I dare you to challenge your thought process to challenge your own view on life in general as well as maybe evil. Measure and weigh other people's perspective with your own. I am not saying change it. I am saying take into consideration another view. Really think about it. Take the time.

As grissomsidlesaid in the post i have quoted, The world is not ruled by black and white, good and evil. There isvery large grey area.

Zack is not good, but i dont think he is evil either. He was misguided naive, and easily influenced. He did bad things but ultimately deep down he did what he did because he thought he was right at the time.

When he realised he was wrong he was quite devastated. Remember he saved his friend. He risked his death to save Hodgins. Evil people do not do that. Zack definately belongs in the grey

Edited on 03/13/2011 5:09am
    Edited 3 total times.