Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

The Conspiracy Club: Where aliens DON'T wear loafers - they wear flashy ties!!!

sitting_lion

[20621]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 19
    AAAAAAAAGR GHRGGRH RGRG HRGHRGRGGG

I miss Kristen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sitting_lion

[20622]Sep 24, 2011
    This week I attended the first in a series of seminars where we are supposed to discuss issues that we ourselves can bring to bear and it's just about using time that is unallotted to just sit and talk with like-minded people instead of being forced to dance to the academic curriculum-tune. And for another course I read this paper about how social psychology can provide insight into the intractability of the Israel-Palestine conflict. For the first time I feel like my chosen discipline can actually make an impact on the world. Add to this the fact that in the Research Master I am suddenly a *name*, a *person*, rather than just a student number, and I can't shake the sense that I am now in the 'big boys' club'. It's exciting but also a little scary. "What do you mean, you want my input?!"

Also a professor to whom I greatly look up told me in response to an e-mail I sent that 'because of all the collective group-based education, it is only now that I discover how very beautifully you write!" Nhah

CCCorrespondent

[20623]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 4
    Soooo ... you didn't think psychology could make an impact before? I mean, it's rooted in one of the fundamental human needs across cultures: understanding people. Not just what makes them sick, but what makes them tick. Who doesn't benefit from that? I mean, most disciplines are misrepresented or stereotyped to a degree, and right now I suppose Psych is "the easy one" or "the one you take when you don't know what to take." But I like to think that at least one of the reasons Psych is such a popular course choice is that people, whether they know what they want to "do" or not, get a more direct sense of, "Hey, I could actually see myself *using* this for something!" than with a lot of other options.

Mm, whatever. /digression. "Beautifully"? Hahaha, that's pretty cool and only a little weird (not because you don't write well, just because it sounds a little weird in and of itself ).

CCCorrespondent

[20624]Sep 24, 2011
    YEAH I SAID "I MEAN" LIKE THREE TIMES BECAUSE I WAS SHIFTING SENTENCES AROUND AND NOW I CAN'T CHANGE IT, SO YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO DEAL.

CCCorrespondent

[20625]Sep 24, 2011
    AND THERE WERE GOING TO BE EMOTICONS IN THERE AND MAYBE SOME OTHER WORDS BUT I GUESS I HIT TAB + ENTER INSTEAD OF CAPS LOCK + ENTER AND IT SUBMITTED THE POST SO YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO DEAL

sitting_lion

[20626]Sep 24, 2011
    WRAAH BIRD RAGE!

Ill respond tomorrow. Good night birdie.

CCCorrespondent

[20627]Sep 25, 2011
    That's Angry Birdie to you.

sitting_lion

[20628]Sep 25, 2011
    Oh god the Mentalist, why did you screw up after all. I was so proud of you before.

Also Poe, how are your papers coming along.
    And yes I will still answer. Tomorrow, I told you

sitting_lion

[20629]Sep 25, 2011
    CCCorrespondent wrote:

Naaa youre not angry. Youre just misunderstood. You just need some lovin'. Some Puppy Lovin'

CCCorrespondent

[20630]Sep 25, 2011

sitting_lion wrote:
    Oh god the Mentalist, why did you screw up after all. I was so proud of you before. Also Poe, how are your papers coming along. And yes I will still answer. Tomorrow, I told you
    The most disappointing ones are the ones that were so promising.

The answer is different every day, since I'm writing like one per day. I just sent off a (bad) one about two people who drowned their kids and a hypothetical dude who went all Secret Window. Or maybe Maroon 5is the better analogy? Mmn, whatever, it's sent now and I get to write about assorted fallacies in arguments (which only makes me think of Gary from Fables) next.

CCCorrespondent

[20631]Sep 25, 2011
    OMG WHATEVER TV.COM.

And my life is mercifully Puppy-free right now - if he shows his panting face that close to my place of residence again I may have to have him fixed. I hear it cures the wanderlust as well as the regular kind.

sitting_lion

[20632]Sep 26, 2011
    CCCorrespondent wrote:
    OMG WHATEVER TV.COM.

And my life is mercifully Puppy-free right now - if he shows his panting face that close to my place of residence again I may have to have him fixed. I hear it cures the wanderlust as well as the regular kind.

No. Don't even joke about that. The most disappointing ones are the ones that were so promising.

Yes. The only thing that made the show interesting was the revenge motive and the sense that behind the cheery and charming exterior Jane is a severely broken man who is completely self-destructive in the interest of personal revenge. In some episodes it seemed to be just quirky but then he'd throw in lines where to a killer who asked him "He killed my family! What was I supposed to do?!" and then he'd just look at him emotion-less and go "Yes of course you were justified."
    And Brad Whitford was such a magnificent Red John (just watch the s3 finale from the moment he enters the screen) and I was so proud of the show that they played Jane's character arc to its logical conclusion instead of chickening out and having him been 'redeemed' or something and then 34284hskfdsfshdjfkh /aaaaaaaaaaaaaa *brrzrzz*

The answer is different every day, since I'm writing like one per day. I just sent off a (bad) one about two people who drowned their kids and a hypothetical dude who went all Secret Window. Or maybe Maroon 5is the better analogy? Mmn, whatever, it's sent now and I get to write about assorted fallacies in arguments (which only makes me think of Gary from Fables) next.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you study murderers?
    Ooh! Jamie Whyte; Crimes against Logic. Read it

CCCorrespondent wrote:
    Soooo ... you didn't think psychology could make an impact before? I mean, it's rooted in one of the fundamental human needs across cultures: understanding people. Not just what makes them sick, but what makes them tick. Who doesn't benefit from that? Yes, yes it is. And with a massive pulpit and a massive popular appeal because everyone is in a sense an amateur social psychologist, it is a pity that still the fetishistically quantitative experimental paradigm keeps people locked up in laboratories and tapping away at statistical software, and keeps students bent over textbooks soaking up the results of that same laregely futile enterprise. Much better to abandon the ridiculous notion of science as a value-free exercise and use said pulpit as a way of effecting social change. Instead of trying to shoot a moving target psychology should get ahead of the curve and stop trying to measure an imagined perversion of social reality that isn't there anyway. So... that's the change Finally I feel I have discovered some ways, or have started on the path to tentatively maybe discovering some ways to make people benefit. CHANGING THE WORLD HUAHH!

I mean, most disciplines are misrepresented or stereotyped to a degree, and right now I suppose Psych is "the easy one" or "the one you take when you don't know what to take." But I like to think that at least one of the reasons Psych is such a popular course choice is that people, whether they know what they want to "do" or not, get a more direct sense of, "Hey, I could actually see myself *using* this for something!" than with a lot of other options.

Mm, whatever. /digression. Yeah sadly that is the stigma about psych here as well. Idiotic.

"Beautifully"? Hahaha, that's pretty cool and only a little weird (not because you don't write well, just because it sounds a little weird in and of itself ).

Why

sitting_lion

[20633]Sep 26, 2011
    Also I want to play piano like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZF0xoqJA6I

sitting_lion

[20634]Sep 27, 2011
    Incidentally, what suddenly happened to our little flare-up of activity? Should I troll Squee some more so that at least we are a'posting?

WolfgalX

[20635]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 22

CCCorrespondent wrote:

I'm so bad at that game. Maybe I'm just a bad gamer.

WolfgalX

[20636]Sep 27, 2011

sitting_lion wrote:
    Incidentally, what suddenly happened to our little flare-up of activity? Should I troll Squee some more so that at least we are a'posting?

Haha I do think you should. Trolling always fixes everything.

sitting_lion

[20637]Sep 28, 2011
    Dudettes, I am now officially a Bachelor of Science. W teh F.

WolfgalX

[20638]Sep 28, 2011

Woo congrats...dude. We're very proud.

sitting_lion

[20639]Sep 28, 2011
    WolfgalX wrote:

Woo congrats...dude. We're very proud.

With honours

sitting_lion

[20640]Oct 1, 2011
    Guuhuuuuys
    I'm lonely.