Why did ZACK leave after Season 3??

mrquito

[1]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 5

hello a new BONES fan here and I have only seen seaosn 1 and 2 and a few this year of season 5..

Just wondering why ZACK left?? I thought he was funny and an interesting character.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CaptainParagon

[2]Jan 7, 2010
    As much as I'd love to tell you why, the reason is so monumentally incredible that there is no way in heck I would spoil it for you. It was amazing.

Geri08

[3]Jan 7, 2010
    • level: 31
    CaptainParagon wrote:
    As much as I'd love to tell you why, the reason is so monumentally incredible that there is no way in heck I would spoil it for you. It was amazing.

First of all welcome to the Bones Forum mrquito...Secondly I agree with CaptainParagon here...You need to see season 3 in it's entirety to appreciate the whole 'Zach thing'...now if you would rather not do that and still want to know, please PM me and I will be happy to give you the lowdown...By the way, if you have any further questions for us here on the Bones Forum there is a Q&A Thread for you to ask...Happy watching...

mrquito

[4]Jan 7, 2010
    OK thanks...........I started season 3 today so I will watch all the eps in the next couple weeks and I hope ZACK leaving was for a good reason.
    I just hope that he didn't die etc.

Angela is very funny too......

kdtfiles

[5]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 23
    Not going to spoil why Zack left... but will tell you it had to do with the Writer's Strike - sort of. After such a long strike the producers/writers wanted to make sure they could do something so big that it would draw fans back for the next season, so they changed some things, events altered, thus the removal of Zack. - Eric M. (Zack) was told about the change after the strike ended.
    Edited on 01/13/2010 2:31pm

mrquito

[6]Jan 15, 2010
    Well people I finished season 3 and the season finale was so SAD......
    I hope they explain more ABOUT ZACK in Season 4.....he is/was my 3rd favorite character...

Geri08

[7]Jan 16, 2010
    mrquito wrote:
    Well people I finished season 3 and the season finale was so SAD......
    I hope they explain more ABOUT ZACK in Season 4.....he is/was my 3rd favorite character...

***SPOILER***

anile84

[8]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 9
    Actually I've read in an interview, that the reason the actor left the series was because he had some kind of a depression or something and he needed some professional help

Starprincess13

[9]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 24

anile84 wrote:
    Actually I've read in an interview, that the reason the actor left the series was because he had some kind of a depression or something and he needed some professional help

Eric Millegan does in fact have bipolar disorder but I didn't think that was why he left. I always heard that it was a creative decision by the writers/producers/network people.

Lexington67

[10]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 1

Well. in my opinion it was good that the removed Zack fron the series.

As a character he was way to similar to Dr. Brennan herself, a male mirror so to speak.

They both speaking with one another left the feeling of watching two vulkans aboard a star fleet vessel.

The rotation of the interns and the variety of their characters is a much nicer twist to the series

tbys1980

[11]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 15
    I just wish they wouldn't have written him off like they did. At least give him the opportunity to come back.

Geri08

[12]Feb 7, 2010
    Starprincess13 wrote:

anile84 wrote:

Eric Millegan does in fact have bipolar disorder but I didn't think that was why he left. I always heard that it was a creative decision by the writers/producers/network people.

Yes it was a 'creative decision' and also Eric had been asked to go back on Broadway...

tbys1980 wrote:
    I just wish they wouldn't have written him off like they did. At least give him the opportunity to come back

Yes, that is what upset me the most...the way they wrote him off..Never will get over that!...Rewatching seasons 1-3 now just give me an air of sadness as far as Zach is concerned especially when we see how our much loved character was written off like that...I could think of a few nicer ways to have done it...

Starprincess13

[13]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 24
    Geri08 wrote:
    Starprincess13 wrote:

anile84 wrote:

Yes it was a 'creative decision' and also Eric had been asked to go back on Broadway...
    tbys1980 wrote:
    I just wish they wouldn't have written him off like they did. At least give him the opportunity to come back
    Yes, that is what upset me the most...the way they wrote him off..Never will get over that!...Rewatching seasons 1-3 now just give me an air of sadness as far as Zach is concerned especially when we see how our much loved character was written off like that...I could think of a few nicer ways to have done it...

That's what I don't like either. While maybe he was a bit too much like Brennan for the show, I loved his character. He was so cute and funny. The only good thing is that they didn't kill him off and have brought him back a couple times. Broadway is very lucky to have Eric Millegan.

penelope1985

[14]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 21
    Lexington67 wrote:

Well. in my opinion it was good that the removed Zack fron the series.

As a character he was way to similar to Dr. Brennan herself, a male mirror so to speak.

They both speaking with one another left the feeling of watching two vulkans aboard a star fleet vessel.

The rotation of the interns and the variety of their characters is a much nicer twist to the series

I agree!

kdtfiles

[15]Feb 10, 2010
    • level: 23
    Starprincess13 wrote:

anile84 wrote:

Again, both Eric and the Producers came out back when it all happended and stated that the rumors he was leaving to do more plays wasn't why he left (yes, he is able to do more now, but that wasn't the reason) - nor was it because of his bipolar disorder. They stated it was a last min decision by the Producers/Writers, after the strike, to do something "epic" to bring viewers back for another season. They had originally planned that the apprentice was going to be a random nobody character, but they decided to make it Zack for the "shock" value.

Eric stated he wasn't happy with the twist, as he loved being part of the show, but he had to do what they told him, thus he went along with it.

to quote from the http://www.tvguide.com/news/eric-millegan-dishes-7680.aspx article

"TVGuide.com: Was this all written for you because you wanted to leave the show, or are you simply following the fate of your character?
    Millegan: Oh, I'm following the fate of my character. It wasn't my choice - it was a creative decision to shake things up and make a good season finale. TVGuide.com: So you only found out you were the apprentice after the strike?
    Millegan: That's right. About a couple weeks before we resumed shooting. TVGuide.com: Were there more Zack storylines that would have been pursued, had there not been a strike?
    Millegan: Yes. As you know, at the end of Season 2, I went off to Iraq. They wanted to address it all in Season 3, but because of the strike they never got to it."

or his TV Guide statemetn http://www.searchingbones.com/2008/05/20/eric-millegan-explains-to-us-all/

"Okay. If you've seen the season finale, you've found out what I found out two months ago. I will no longer be a series regular on "Bones." Creatively, they decided to carry out this storyline in which my character, Zack, was the apprentice to the Gormogon serial killer. The storyline landed Zack in a psychiatric facility and so he is no longer working at the Jeffersonian. This wasn't my choice, but I embraced the challenge as an actor...."

There are a number of text interviews and vids on YouTube, both from Eric and the Producers talking about the removal of Zack...

KathleenPope

[16]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 1

The fact that he was similar was a big reason he made a great intern for Bones. They were also enough different, He was even more naive and clueless. He did not seemed interested in dating etc. Zach would have been most likely to have bones position someday. Not that that could happen for the show, but anybody like Bones needs an apprentice that would suit her. By the way, Zach did not leave because he was depressed, he was written off the show. Somebody said they should have left it so he could come back, actually they did. He has appeared on a couple of eps.

See the interview with TV Guide: http://www.tvguide.com/news/Eric-Millegan-Dishes-7680.aspx

I loved Zach and am hoping to see him in future eps. The chemistry with him and Hodg was awesome!

Edited on 04/19/2012 1:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.