Bones

Mayhem on a Cross

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 16, 2009 on FOX

• The case deals with death metal bands and Gordon Gordon returns with some very interesting information on Sweets.

The episode starts off really great. I wasn't even sure it was a Bones episode I was watching! It starts off with a death metal concert in which a skeleton hangs from a cross. The Norway police come in, this woman inspects it and confirms it's human. It's sent back to the USA, because the woman said it was American.

Bones, Clark Edison and Cam examine the skeleton and it's really funny watching Bones/Brennan correct their pronunciation of the band. Ska-la. The case proceeds as usual. Dr Gordon Wyatt reappears (apparently he's been reading Sweets book on Brennan and Booth. He also plans to quit psychiatry and go to a culinary school) and Sweets and him backup interrogation for Booth and Brennan. It was during this that Gordon revealed he knew of Sweets past. That was a real shock to me. Like: wow. Booth shoots his gun at an inanimate object again, which brings about more humor into the episode. With Booth absent in the interrogation of the suspect, Brennan was funny to watch. Good writing on the writer's part.

I thought the lighting in the concert and death metal bands scenes were a bit too dark; you can't really see what's happening. But the dialogue helped. And the end was another shock, with Brennan and Booth revealing a bit about themselves, about their damaged past. It was a really great episode in all.