Bones

Player Under Pressure

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 21, 2008 on FOX

• Much better in season 2 as it completes the story of how Brennan sees some of the men in her life.

It's really unfortunate that this episode didn't get aired in season 2 because it does a pretty good job of completing the story about how Brennan sees some of the men in her life.

In a previous episode, she goes to watch Sully play a game (basketball?) and since she had been instructed by Angela to at least try and act like a girl, she pelts the poor guy with compliments, including that he played like a warrior. The context makes it clear that this isn't serious - it's part of the 'I'm interested in you' dynamics and basically denotes that Brennan tells Sully what she thinks will impress him (and therefore acts like a girl, although she's clearly over the top - something that Sully does notice when he suggests that they can keep some topics to discuss at dinner).

In Player under Pressure we find out Brennan's real opinion about guys and games (fundamentally that guys play at being warriors) but then we have a twist at the end where she says to Booth that he doesn't play at being a warrior, he is a warrior. Since she says this quite seriously, I really think she doesn't try to be girly on this one but instead is honest. The implication is that one of the reasons that she didn't leave with Sully is that, at some level, she realised that he only played around (not that he wasn't serious about her but that he didn't have the intensity she finds attractive or otherwise desirable in an adult male). The key question is, of course, what does this all mean? This is what's interesting for me. On the one hand, poor Booth has no clue that he's being paid an even bigger compliment than he may think he is because of the implicit comparison with Sully (the latter being the perpetual adolescent). On the other hand, I suspect that, for Brennan to be in character, she must be uncomfortable with his being a warrior - after all, this is a very traditional gender role. My solution to this dilemma is for her to see herself as a warrior too - which may be the case since her relationship with Booth is predicated in equality. In any case, I would really like to find some further clarification of this in later episodes.

Since the whole episode is built around the metaphor of games and guys (and the various services of the cheerleaders - I found that more than a bit disgusting but then I never liked cheerleaders), I think this is a very coherent episode revolving around a pretty revealing character development moment. Again, I really wish this had been aired in its proper place, it makes so much more sense.
  • Great Brennan/Booth interactions carry an otherwise average show

I felt the main storyline was OK, and the ending was a surprise as I never expected the killer to be the person it turned out to be, although in retrospect, one could see how they would do what they did under the circumstances. There, how's that for avoiding a spoiler. :)

A friend tells me that this episode was moved from Season 2 to 3 due to the Virginia Tech shootings and the Angela/Hodgins personal life in the workplace storyline was added to replace original content which didn't fit the storyline any more. Leave it to FOX to fill the way they did. This is a great show, one of the best currently airing I think, and it doesn't need to stoop to this level.

The B&B interactions were by far the best part of a show in which the gross body decomposition scenes were also over the top. Definitely not a show during which one would be having a snack.

The B&B dialog makes the episode worth watching again. I enjoyed the scene in the gym where Brennan really hurts Booth with her harsh comments about athletics and the men that watch them. She takes a shot at part of his identity while he is trying to show her how to shoot a free throw. Although it doesn't look like it, she is paying attention and makes a shot of her own after he leaves! The culmination of all this in the final scene when she calls him 'a great man' is sweet.

Lastly, I'm still chuckling over the skull through the grater test with the turkey and the ambrosia salad. Priceless!
  • Definitely dirtier than the usual college case.

Now that is a truly nasty crime scene, complete with baby rats. You would think Cam would know better than to stand nearby during a Zach/Hodgins experiment.

From a sexual point of view, this is certainly one of the dirtier cases. To find the girl who was with the victim when he died, they match saliva and lipstick. It's not much of a shock to find out it was the father, imagine seeing your child doing that. Even worse when you yourself were like RJ and played the field. Booth obviously was lying to Cutler, how many stories have we heard where Booth recalled his exploits and called every single one of the girls by name?

Very good episode.
  • Another good one

In this episode of Bones, the following happens. Bones and Booth are called in when a body is found crushed behind gym bleachers at a college. The body, or at least what's left of it, is quickly IDed as star player RJ Manning, who played basketball for the college. Soon the girl who found the victim becomes the prime suspect. Soon the evidence leads them to believe that the killer is actually on the cheerleading squad. Soon the murder weapon is found. Soon the murderer is revealed, and I can say that I was not surprised. When they go to question him, he pulls a gun and places it to his temple. Booth tries his best to talk him down, and as he is about to pull the trigger, Bones places her hand between the trigger and manages to pull the gun away.
  • It was interesting to watch..

This was actually an amazing episode to watch. The end bit with the guy who was trying to kill himself and just crying and crying was really touching and all of his emotions were just really clearly portrayed, and the bit were Brennen takes the gun out of his hand and then says 'ow' just reminds me why i love her and why i love this show!
    There were really funny parts in this episode, like Cam giving Angela the tape of Angela + Hodgins, and Angela then rewatching it and Cam telling her she should lower down the volume :')
    The dialogue between Booth and Brennen alone would have been enough to keep me watching this whole episode, but to my delight there was so much more to keep me glued to my screen :)
    I think the characters all learnt something from this episode and it was a great episode with a great plotline
  • Waited too long and it wasn't that bad

It was good to finally see this episode after all. A student who is a very good basketball player is murdered and many suspects come up. Brennan and Booth once again have a argument about their personal ideals. It's very easy for Brennan to say things no matter what Booth is going to think. She really hurt his feelings, it was even funny to hear Booth say to Brennan "don't talk to me". Another funny scene was Zack and Hodgins with their wacky but useful experiment and how easy Cam is now around them allowing them to do more things and have more decision about it.

Another situation that I'm happy to not see again is the Hodgins/Angela moments. Don't get me wrong, I love the couple, they are great together but please! Not while they're working!

The writers are getting us used to have our favorite couple in the end scenes. This one was good too. Brennan knows Booth and even when he was "that" kind of guy, their temperaments were cool now and they were able to talk and that allowed her to tell Booth that he changed, for the better, to become the great man he is.

LG
  • No classification given really fit. I really don't like where this episode aired. It had a completely different feel from the rest of season 3. That said, on a re-watch I gave it a fairer chance and liked it: as a Season 2 episode. It has it's moments.

Taken from my blog: http://obsessedwithbones.blogspot.com

I'm pretty open about the fact that I don't like airing episodes out of order. Writers write in an order and continuity suffers when you start shuffling things. I know why this one was aired out of order (it was pulled because it was due to air near the time of the Virgina Tech massacre) but I don't think airing it in Season 3 was a good idea. They cut out the major continuity issues with the Angela/Hodgins engagement scenes but for any fan, this episode is clearly out of place.

The entire feel is wrong between Brennan and Booth in this episode. In season 3, their relationship has taken huge leaps. They've grown very close and they act like a fluid pair. That's not to say they don't argue, but sometimes it's hard to tell where the individuals end, they are so in tune. But that is glaringly absent in this episode. A big plot point in Season 3 is Booth telling her jock stories and the fact that she is surprised in this episode that he's a jock stands out and takes me, at least, right out of the story and into grumbling about the switch.

I didn't hate everything about the episode, however. Even if they aren't as close as we know them to be now in Season 3, there are still some great moments between our characters. But first, the rest of the review. As always, the Booth/Bones part is saved for last!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

I've read complaints about a few parts of the case in this episode - RJ was too short for power forward is a big one. But I think it was a well written, well executed case. I think, as they rarely can, they held out the real killer for nearly the entire episode. There was no reason to suspect Cutler (played by James Black) at all and as he pointed out: if he hadn't spat on the victim they never would have found him. They might have suspected him after finding out his daughter's actions, but they never would have had any proof. I like that it was a close call on finding him and I like it when the 'bad guy' isn't 100% bad. It's hardly possible for anyone to be 100% one way or the other and it's nice to see that portrayed in cases. It's much more realistic.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Zack
    Zack doesn't disappoint in this episode.
    -He's a basketball fan, but purely in a mathematical way.
    -The turkey/skull scene is great. When the episode aired it felt contrived. We knew exactly what was going to happen when they crouched in front of that grate. But when I re-watched it felt natural that these guys were so enthused they didn't even think, and were even so absorbed that they kept talking about the case like they weren't covered in the ambrosia salad after they drenched themselves.
    -The scene with Dr. Brennan near the end:
    Bones: "She made the decision to hold onto him by letting him have sex with any other woman he wanted."
    Zack: "That sounds extremely rational."
    Bones: "That's what's confusing" ...
    Zack: "The idea that one person can be all things to another person, satisfy every need or even more than one, is sentimental and mawkish."
    I'll write about her side of this below, but for his side it's classic Zack. He takes something that's widely societally accepted, monogamy, and deconstructs it, completely oblivious to the emotional aspects. The only thing that matters is the logic and to him monogamy makes no logical sense. Vulcan! Here it's sad Vulcan though. Like Dr. Brennan, Zack misses out on a huge part of human interaction. She's learning from Booth but he has no one from whom he can gain such experience. I sincerely hope they give the character a chance to do that sometime in the show. It would extremely funny, if nothing else.
    Great line: "I tend to look better fully clothed."

Cam
    -As usual, Cam has some very funny scenes and Tamara Taylor plays them perfectly. Her expressions in the blender and turkey/skull scenes are so rich and human. She is the foil to the pure scientists.
    -Her play on Angela is a great part of her character. I don't believe at all that she would intentionally leave a message with Angela for Hodgins. He has to have a place there where she can leave folders and messages. She went to Angela expressly to set her up and it worked great. Her reveal of the DVD in the second scene was a great example of how she deserves the job she has and an expression of her control. There's not much that Cam doesn't know about and this was the reminder. It's her house. She's not a terrible taskmaster but she is in control.

Hodgins
    -The blender scene. I loved this scene. Bugs are so normal to him it wouldn't possibly occur to him that no one in their right mind would prepare food in anything that had just pureed maggots. Wonderfully played by both actors.
    -"Gelatinous mixture sounded better." He's so cute.

Angela
    -"I draw stuff. Fluids are not my actual area of expertise."
    -"You know, this is pretty good." As she watches the video again. That would have been a great scene for Hodgins to walk in instead of Cam. Was Cam there for a reason or was she just passing by and heard it? It seemed a little odd. It's very typical Angela that she's not at all embarrassed past the slight initial question of who has seen the tape.

Hodgela
    Nothing here really. They cut out what should have been here, engagement scenes, and gave us nothing. I guess they had to do that because they still had to show the scenes with Hodgins with long hair and therefore couldn't show him do new scenes now with Angela where he had short hair. Again: couldn't we have just had the original episode on the DVD as a special feature? (Never, I know. They wouldn't give up all the money made. But still, GRRRRRRR). The sex DVD was funny but a poor substitute for what had to be great scenes between the two of them in the original airing. I'm still holding out hope that we can at least get those cut scenes in special features on the Season 3 disk.

Bones
    -I love her attempts to relate to this sports enthusiasm. While she offends Booth (thoughts below) with her analysis of what sports means part of her still wants to relate to the sports passion she sees. When Zack and Hodgins are going on about basketball she is on one hand annoyed "Oh, not you guys too", but then she instantly tries to relate to them and become a part of the discussion by relating an anthropological story.
    -And then again, after Booth walks out. She only meant to have a discussion with him and while he wouldn't spar in the way she wanted she still considers his side and tries a shot. The satisfied look after she succeeds is cute and perfect. She wishes that he'd seen it too.
    -Her lack of tact lends some great lines and provokes some hate (in Celeste). Justine: "What the hell, you know what I mean?" Bones: "Not at all."
    -Bones: "This is a terrible University." Francis: "Why would I kill the golden goose? Bones: "But he wasn't a goose, he was a man." Great, classic Bones.
    -Her complete lack of shyness around the naked kid is a great scene. That kid is just a 'thing' to her in many ways. She's there to get information out of 'it' and absolutely no sexual thoughts enter her mind in a setting that would be uncomfortable for most women. And when she goes off to the side it's not to become a passive wall-flower. She's still listening to every word and still analyzing the information. I loved it when she popped up above the lockers with, "All the bad decisions you made and the one thing you're ashamed of is having sex with a not-hot girl?" Bones can't hold her tongue well.
    -Why would Dr. Brennan take so long to understand that Angela and Cam were talking about oral sex? they were speaking very clinically and I think she should have gotten it right away. The lines were fine with her tidbit about adolescent males but they still could have had her clued in faster.
    -I love that, despite all her advances with Booth, she still often uses Zack as a sounding board. He's the most logical person she knows and she's very comfortable with him. I am glad, for future's sake, that she didn't agree outright with what Zack said. But I think on some level she still does. I think she can split her interactions into compartments - intellectual, physical, emotional - and I think these will return as a theme. It already is a show theme, honestly. At the start of the series she has Angela for the emotional interaction, colleagues for the intellectual stimulation, and a string of meaningless relationships for the physical. As this series has progressed Booth has taken over those roles step by step. She still goes to Zack and Angela for big things but on a frequent basis she's trying to get both of those in Booth. Maybe she wouldn't admit it to herself yet but it's there. The physical is the biggest hold out, but the other 2 parts of the triangle aren't complete yet either.
    -She's not a weak woman and whether it was unspoken communication from Booth or a personal decision it was very in line with her character to not just run away when things got tense with Cutler
    -Just a guess, but I'd venture that Emily Deschanel was very happy to be able to show a positive animal interaction with the rats. I know that she was unhappy with previous scenes, like having to pretend to shoot rats, so rescuing them in the episode was likely something she could enjoy. (I somehow doubt David Boreanaz enjoyed them, though.)

Booth
    There wasn't a lot of straight Booth in this episode. We got a bit more of his history as a college athlete and a strong light on a serious sports enthusiasm
    -Good lines in the scene with the 2 kids, trying to figure out which guy does steroids and which has gonorrhea. "I really don't care where he's been dipping his...wick." and "I hope you don't have a bashful bladder."
    -"RJ Manning broke her heart and a bit of her brain in the process."

Booth/Bones Despite my complaints about how the pair don't flow in the episode as they do in Season 3, it was still a couple episode for the pair. When they have a substantial bicker, they always grow closer as a result. Scene by scene...

Opener - Very cute scene with him showing her another 'real world' truth. It's funny and light. She think the university should be completely about academics and he knows that is not how it works. "Tell you what. You bring your little...didactic, thoracic speech here any other time of the year and you'll draw maybe five, five and a half (students) easy."

Basketball scene - They have a few minutes to kill and Booth wants to use the time to share a bit of himself with Bones. Her way of sharing is to spark debate, his way is physical. This always sparks a good scene between them. She wants to talk about a 'greater truth' and he just wants to hang out with her and show her something he loves. (I can only hope I can write my own story with the arcing richness Hart keeps in this series. I love it!)
    Bones: "Sports should not have such a priority int he university."
    Booth: "Alright, you know what? That's crazy."
    Bones: "No. Anthropologically speaking, sports are a way for boys to practice their battle skills."
    Booth: "Yeah. Okay. So you want to just focus straight up, get up on your toes, and just lift." (He keeps up his end while she keeps up hers. They both want to share with each other but they are each completely missing what the other person is trying to do.)
    Bones: "The truth is...athletes are basically emotionally arrested in boyhood, acting out childish games as though they have adult importance. You know, the only thing more juvenile are grown adults who watch sports." (Booth has kept tossing shot after shot while she said her bit but this line stops him completely.)
    Booth: "Why you got to say stuff like that?"
    Bones: "What? You mean, the truth?"
    Booth: "All right, you know what, I'm a jock. So when you say those, you know, things that you say, what are you saying about me?"
    Bones: "Nothing. You grew out of it."
    Booth: "No, I didn't, all right? My shoulder crapped out on me. otherwise I would've gone all the way with it." (Whimsical music starts 1/2 way through this line to remind us that this isn't a massive argument.)
    Bones: "What?"
    Booth: "You know what, and another thing, all right, I, uh...I fought in a war!. So if sports is a, uh, childish substitute, I can live with that!"
    Bones sighs, not understanding why he just walked out when the debate was getting good.

And that's not the end of it. They walk out and she still doesn't understand that he's even upset, much less why. "You know, I'm a little irritated with you. Just leave me alone long enough so I can get over it." I like that they don't have him hold a grudge over what she said. She hurt him, and they make that clear, but he's been through enough of these 'discussions' with her that he's very well versed on her and knows not to take lasting offense. And they point out, by the time that they hit the shower scene, that he's already past any lingering hurt.

The end scene in the dinner ties it up nicely and brings the pair fully back together.
    Booth: "So, jock mentality, teams. Not all bad, huh?
    Bones: "Why are you telling me this?"
    Booth: "'Cause you said we're all stunted adolescents who take children's games too seriously."
    Bones: "I never meant you." (Great, intimate tone and lean-in from Emily). She wants forgiveness.
    Booth: "Bones?"
    Bones: "What?"
    Booth: "Bones, I'm one of those guys."
    Bones: "No, you aren't. You don't play at being a warrior. You are a warrior, every day. You're definitely... a fully developed man." (Meaningful smiles between them.)
    Booth: "Okay. You leave the tip."
    Bones: "Even Cutler knew you were lying when you said you treated women like that beneath the bleachers."
    Booth: "Oh, and you believe him?"
    Bones: "Yes, because you still remember that first girl's name." (Incidentally David Boreanaz still knows the name of his first kiss and even what she's doing now.)
    He looks a bit squirmy at this. The 'insensitive jock' can be a nice emotional protection for a guy and she just ripped that from him. And what woman didn't fully agree with the 'fully developed man' line?

They had some other funny interplays as well.
    Booth: "You know, unlike you, most people enjoy a past-time that takes them out of their head."
    Bones: "Takes them out of their head, like drugs and alcohol."

Cutler: "You two don't pull any punches, do you?" Nice nod to the partnership from someone they only recently met.

Bones: "Is she crying because she loved him or because she lost a mansion?"
    Booth(mouthing): "The mansion."

Final scene with Cutler -
    "He's got a gun, Bones. I need you to leave. Now."
    She doesn't immediately walk away and Booth talks to Cutler a little more before she asks, "What are you doing? Do you want him to shoot at you?"
    "Go." The look he gives her has meaning. There's no direct nod or head tilt or anything to indicate a specific plan but there seems to be some silent communication there. If she thought he only wanted her to go for her own protection she'd have likely put up more of a fight. He looks in her direction just before she intercedes and he nods at her just after. Nice unspoken communication, especially in a Season 2 episode.

I liked this episode much better upon rewatching it. At first it just made me too grumpy to see it so far out of it's intended spot and the negatives outweighed the positives for me. It's a good episode, but in the future I will definitely watch it as the point where it was originally intended to be shown.
  • A rather laboured plot which struggled to keep all but the Bones & Breenan avid fans awake.

We start with a body star basketball player crushed to death under collapsing bleachers - a plot previously used the the X-Files episode 'Syzygy'.

Naturally instead of calling the local police the FBI (or more correctly) Special Agent Seeley Booth are brought in despite it not being a federal crime.

Temperance Breenan musn't have been doing anything special that night since she's on the scene of the crime at the same time.

We then have a rather laboured investigation - with again all the squints being able to immediately devote all their time in determining the cause of death. They never seem to have any other work to do! Fortunate for the writers that.

This week's episode did have a lot of racy dialogue regarding the discovery of blue lipstick on a part of the deceased's body. Surprising no-one actually said 'blow job' during this!

Booth's interrogation of the various suspects was rather childish - he hardly every reads then their rights so if any of them ever went to court their lawyers would have had a field day demolishing Booth's case.

Did anyone in the whole world have any doubt as to whether Brennan was going to make the basketball shot successfully? Almost a direct copy of Ellen Riply in 'Alien: Resurrection'. The actual murderer didn't come as a surprise to anyone either, so all in all not a very inspired episode.
  • During the course of investigating a college b-baller who got squashed by folding bleachers, Bones learns she can bruise Booth's ego when she muses how playing and watching sports is anthropologically silly and juvenile.

As always, the interactions between B&B are what make this show so enjoyable to watch. While normally I would complain about the implausibility of the story (highly doubtful the FBI would allow a college cop to interrogate a witness) or bemoan the extremely cliche and predictable resolution for the mystery, I kept giggling at how Bones couldn't understand how she insulted Booth's ego when she likened playing or watching sports as juvenile and pretend warrior-like behavior.

I agree with other reviewers that the Squints were pretty much irrelevant this time (though extremely amusing and amazing at how inventive Hodgins and Zach can be), but no Squint time would have been worse. And how priceless was the two different conversations Angela and Cam had about work vs personal time!
  • The lost episode.

Finally, after one year, Player under Pressure was shown. And it did not disappoint.

It doesn't propel the overall storyline forward and due to its shuffling around, I consider it as a stand-alone. The revamped scenes concerned mostly the Hodgela relationship and I think that the episode probably worked better without it. Of course I am not a Hodgela fan, so opinions surely differ on this.

The case was interesting and the body very disgusting. So better not be eating while watching this.

The Brennan/Booth dynamic is of course mostly consistent with S2 because that is the place it belongs. They bickered, Bones once again managed to offend Booth with her anthropological world view. But we got a very nice ending moment because of this.

Player under Pressure has a high rewatch quality.
  • We finally get to see this episode and it was well worth the wait!

After being delayed for a year I was really quite curious to see what happened in this episode. I was disappointed we didn't get to see the Hodgins and Angela scenes but they are available on youtube in Spanish with a translation at the bottom. Just PM me for the link. I still really enjoyed the parts with Angela though, which I'm guessing replaced those scenes. The tape that was caught on security cameras was hilarious! And Angela watching it in her office... so funny!
    This episode really kept me guessing. I thought Celeste was the murdered and when they called her and her fiance down I was so sure that I was right, but it wasn't her! It was her dad. He kept popping up in the episode a little bit more than necessary so I should've guessed, but I didn't. And the ending scene with Booth and Brennan was so cute. This episode really made me miss some things about season 2, like Hodgins' hair, but so far I'm pretty cool with how season 3 is going and I can't wait for more!
  • Booth and Brennan's constant bickering really saves this episode.

Booth and Brennan's constant bickering in this episode is the only reason i rated this so highly. The bickering and fighting allows Booth and Brennan to resolve some of their differences and become much closer. It is scenes like these that i really enjoy however the storyline is not the best and could be much better. This episode is better than the last one, however i hope that the writers can come up with more witty lines and more interaction between the squints and brennan much like season one. Also i think that the kiss needs to be addressed as you sit there watching this episode and just hope that they will mention it. Overall this episode is just ok and am still looking forward to the next installment of bones. Maybe they might even incorporate some of the plots from the kathy reichs novels, i think that would be really great.
  • bones is back.

this was a great return for bones. and a great episode. i undertand it was supose to air a long time ago but some shootings stopped it. well im glad i had to ait, because this was one of my favorte episodes. there is this asketball player crushed uinder the bleachers.
    and we learn a little about ooths jocky past. and bones doesnt like it, or even understand it. but it was cute when she made the basket in and then smiled.

zack and hodgins experiment was hilarious. gotta love those. and finding hodgins and angela's "sex tape" was hilarious. she kept watching it saying how good she looked. this was such a great episode. the case was good and exciting and the rest with the team was very interesting.
  • Unlikely story in several ways.

5.5
    I love Bones but I hated this episode. A steroid scandal in basketball is very very unlikely, especially a coach who has taken enough to have terminal brain cancer. Basketball players don't generally want to bulk up in the ways that steroids will bulk them up. The only time you hear of it is if someone is trying to recover from an injury and even then it is rare. I also thought it was a stretch that a campus cop who didn't appear to have any anger management issues would go back to the weight room wait for the player and kill him. Maybe I could buy punching him or a more immediate action. Just an unusually weak story.
  • Enjoyable.

I loved the script for this one. It's right out of today's headlines. What I like about the situation was it showed both sides of the fence in regards to RJ Manning. An athlete using his status as an up and coming star to get what he wants and not thinking of the ramifications. Then we have people like George Francis who is willing to use or in some cases abuse a star athletic to suit his own purposes. Then of course we have the hanger-ons who are willing to be treated bad and look the other way for a nice cushy ride home to a mansion. In regards to the case as a whole, I liked the twists and turns. Their was never any one standout in regards to suspects and motives. The twist at the end with it being Cutter was great revelation and with the reasoning behind the murder it was definitely off the thought path. I loved how Bones at the end slipped in and stopped Cutter from taking his own life. What was interesting about this episode was Bones' approach to sports or her disdain for the environment that envelops the people around them, essentially swallowing them whole. I like how Booth was under the mistaken impression that Bones thought less of him because he was an athletic. But I loved how Bones showed him that his perception of her thoughts was incorrect and I'm in full agreement. Boothe was never one of them. The comic relief within the episode was great. Hodges using Cam's blender to mix up the maggots. Cam revealing to Angela that she and Hodges got their hands caught in the cookie jar so to speak. Then of course you have Zak and Hodges stuffing a skull into a turkey in reconstruction. Overall, one of the better episodes.
  • Should have stayed off the air.

As we're all aware ( Bones fans that is ), this episode Player Under Pressure was due to be televised in April 07 of season 2 but was taken off the air due to the Virginia Tech Massacre, to me the episode seemed out of place, okay there was no direct references to anything that happened in season 2 ( Hodgins had more hair and wasn't clean shaven ) but I think with being a fan and knowing this was supposed to have aired a year ago kept popping into my mind while I watched it and to be honest I don't know what all the fuss was about, I've seen documentaries on the Virginia Tech Massacre and there was not one similarity between that and this episode.

The episode it's self was okay and had lot's of pace to the storyline but the ending / killer was a little too obvious for me when I realised Celeste had done the deed that her father must have seen them and killed Manning.

I don't like rating Bones any lower than a 9 but this episode just didn't make it for me and should have just been placed on the season 2 or even season 3 DVD set as an extra instead of televising it.
  • Getting to know about Booth's past and those funny scenes lol. great one

Funny one.
    A jock is found crushed underneath the bleachers at the basket ball gym, the star of the team.

Booth was a jock and here we see a little bit of how he used to be.
    This is the typical jock style, star of the team fooling around with every girl and that's what got him killed.

I can't get tired of Hodgins and Zack's experiments, I knew when Jack was trying to put that skull in the turkey that it wasn't going to be a good idea. And even staying behind it waiting lol

One thing, poor Cam, first gets hit by the turkey/skull experiment, then her blender gets to be used in another experiment, using worms.

I saw that smile in Brennan's face after she made the basket, all that talk and then...

OH I almost forgot!!! I was a bit worried about Angela's reaction when Cam asked her to give Jack a message, she looked weird. And the the tape, that famous tape of the storage room with her and Jack lol
    Her face was really funny and then she saw it again, looks like she is great in the picture lol

I understand Cutler, he was a jock just like RJ and he knows how he treated girls and seeing his daughter in the same position but with RJ, he just flipped
  • I enjoyed this episode very much! I liked that Brennan learned more about Booth and his past, & how that makes him who he is today. I know that Bones has learned in past episodes that Booth was a Jock, but this episode went more into the psyche of a Jock.

This episodes starts out in a place where Booth would be most at ease, the school gym. But within the blink of an eye we are transported to one really gross looking dead body with maggots, flies and rats (and baby rats. What did happen to them anyway?) crawling all over it. Great job to the prop and special effects guys! From that point on the hunt had begun to find the killer of the best college basketball player in the state. It seems as though everyone had a reason or motive to want RJ dead. He was sexually promiscuous, the harbinger of gonohorrea and possibly taking steroids. Not the nice squeaky clean all college basketball star people wanted to see him as. This is clearly a world Bones finds extremely hard to understand. It makes no sense to her that students would not come to her lecture on some obscure subject but instead go to a basketball game even if it is a drive to the other side of the state. As far as Bones is concerned, playing and watching sports is only for people who cannot, or will not, let go of their childhood love of rivalry and simulation of battle. Sport is quite foreign to her psyche.

I found this episode to be very revealing about the two different psyches of Bones and Booth and how they compliment each other. I also found it interesting that it was not a huge stretch of the imagination for Bones to empathise with the Jock in Booth and then inform him that he does not "play" at being a man. That his actions, personality and the person that he is is "all man". He does not play at being a man because he does not need to. This signifies a huge leap of trust and faith in Bones towards Booth's character.

As always, the FBI and the Jeffersonian solve the case with the help of "the squints". We learn that Angela and Jack have a sex video out there, watched by Cam and used as leverage by her. And that the relationship between Bones and Booth keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Good episode with great character depth.
  • Better late than never...

I didn't see this ep. as a 3º season ep. I saw it as a 2º season. By doing that I could fully appreciate it without getting upset it doesn't fit the storyline.
    The case was really interesting, the body was really gross. The questioning was really funny, specially the shower scene (gotta love Emily, such great actress). Oh and the suicide scene with Brennan stopping the guy, great thinking.
    Brennan really couldn't understand this college reality and ended up hurting Booth but all was well in that BB ending we always love.
    The squints were priceless on this one. The turkey, the blender, the roach, all so funny. So they changed the marriage stuff with 'got you on tape' stuff, it was ok. But I confess it was weird to see Angela keeping some distance from Hodgins (we don't live together) BUT if you remember that before this ep. came the ep. she talked about the moving together with Gordon Gordon it fits much better.
    I have got to watch the second half of second season with PuP in it to see how it really goes.
  • It did not worked for me...

7.3
    I do not know. It looks like oneday they show as it magic, the next time it does not. The episode before it - it was amazing but this one. It was good, great to watch but it was all. I did not liked the storyline and I do not know - they tried too much to make fun or something on a way it did not worked, for me. I like that kind of science aspect of that show when they have it.. or their humor but not when the humor seems to overcome some lines. But I cannot say there was not good moments. There was emotions and when they finally get who was behind the murder and Bones standed up and did not let that man to kill him - it was worth it.
  • I've never given this show a low rating before, maybe it was because it was out of order i mean it wasn't that bad... oh and I didn't kill RJ

7.1
    I heard rumors that they were going to fix this episode because of how it went out of order, I mean supposidly it was where Hodgins proposed to Angela the first time, right? But when Cam said... "Well he's your boyfriend." She should've said well its your Fiancee right? But whatever. . .I do like the scene where Zack and Hodgins are performing the expirement and it gets turkey all over Cam. . .I love her, she adds the right type of umph to the show. But in this episode it was revealed that Booth was a Jock... we already knew that from the Man in the Time Capsule, or whatever it was called, and it also seemed like they backtracked in their partnership.... I mean for him to flip out over Bones calling sports the act of trying to be warriors, but in the end when she was like I wasn't talking about you, because you are a warrior was a sweet gesture to him, because he was truly hurt by it. That made me happy in the end. I loved the part where she was like, you weren't one of them because you still remembered the first ones name... that made the guilt feel a little bit better...

I do wish he was there for when she made the shot-it was almost an allusion to the Unnatural in X-files when Mulder was showing Scully how to hit a baseball. . . So much happy about that! Honestly, everyone got the 'clap' from RJ? The freaky chick with the key, that gave it to the other guy... the stupid naked on... "I can't do this because you're hot" How did that boy get to college....basketball, stupid jocks. Sorry to those out there...

Well that it for this episode...
  • Would've been better during season two.. In this context, just an okay episode.

A blast from the past, this episode. I wish they'd put it on the S2 DVD and never aired it on TV - that way it could've stayed tied to the situation in S2 and not been mixed with the developments of season three. I liked that they tied in some plot threads from S2 - the Hodgins/Angela sex-during-lunch-break scenario and how Cam dealt with that was cool. In fact, all of the lab scenes were really wonderful and funny. My main problem is that the characters of Booth and Brennan really seemed like the Booth and Brennan we knew from season two, not the ones we know now. The way they reacted to one another, the way Booth defended sports and "the jock mentality", the way Brennan reacted to that.. It was all very much where they were with each other in S2. Now they're more used to each other, and better with handling each other. Their relationship has progressed so much! (Though still not romantic.)

So yes, I wish this had been in season two. In season two it would've been a very good episode. In season three, it's merely okay.
  • They did this one already... no they just didn't air it... I am very glad they aired this episode. and am looking forward to more...

This was a very special episode, not because it wasn't aired last year but also because it was Bones. It was a piece of what they were before the wedding, therapy, cheek kiss, lip kiss....It was Booth and Bones understanding more on the past lives that they've changed from. What I found loving about this episode was not only that there were funny moments with not only Booth and Brennan, but the squints aswell. But also that Brennan hurt Booth, but he just misunderstood. She explained that he was different, sure he may of not changed but he still remembered the girls names. The case wasn't half bad either. And a new twisting ending, Brennan having to stop a sucide from occuring. The case being a young boy murdered under the bleachers from head trauma finding out later it not being because of a jealous girlfriend, jealous fiance, best friend... it was a Father. And it wasn't only the fact that he caught his daughter who is to be married to someone else, it was the fact he used to be him and is disgusted by that. I am very glad they aired this episode. and am looking forward to more.
  • the team investigates the death of a very popular college basketball player

how great was this ep? it was so fabulous..im seriously still pumped from it..first of all eric von detten was in it and i thought it would be kinda like csi where he would be the guilty one but he wasnt and i got to see him w/o a shirt which was so nice..all the sex talk and come ons from him to dr. brennan was so hilarious and everything was really hilarious lol..i loved it..and then it turned out to be someone i didnt even expect..im like oh my gosh..no way..i thought he loved rj and im like thats ridiculous..i hate came again b/c she didnt need to do that w/ angela..that was cruel..but very funny and angela is so bold to do that even after cams warning..obviously tho supposed to be season 2..and then the ep ended perfectly b/c brennan had totally made booth mad earlier and she made up for it at their cafe being all sweet to booth..oh my gosh im like sitting there..aww...it was such a great bb moment at the end
  • An incredibly amazing episode of Bones that many of us have been looking forward to for over a year

This episode was a nice change up from season 3, not that the third season is/has been bad, but it was nice to go back and see something that was meant to happen a year ago. Mostly because a lot ot the relationships for the characters have developed more since this time, but nonetheless this was an amusing episode.

I loved Hodgins and Zack trying to get that skull into the turkey it was so incredibly amusing and it was even better when the turkey exploded everywhere and I loved that it got Cam. It was so funny to see the look on her face when she had raw turkey in her hair and all.

Cam was a real character in this one, I loved how she was all up in Angela and Hodgins business the security DVD of Hodgins and Angela getting it on was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing. I loved that Angela even was watching it again.

Booth and Bones continued to be cute and amusing as well. I liked the whole case and all and it was even better because my little brother was in the room at the beginning and I kept having to tell him not to look. The basketball players and the cheerleaders and stuff were all on the lame side, because anyone could have written something like that. But the characters made the whole thing worth it!