Bones

The Baby in the Bough

Aired Unknown Apr 28, 2008 on FOX

• What's not to like

What a cute baby with a toothy smile. Just loved this episode for the interaction of Booth and Brennan with little Andy.

Booth seems more than capable of coping with diaper changing, putting down his jacket as a changing mat and asking for powder and everything else in fact. Wonder how much he was involved when Parker was little?He looks really sad when the child goes to its adoptive parents.

Brennan has the biggest character change though, from being awkward and diffident at first she is won over by the little one.Will she ever decide to have children - and with who? Booth seems to be encouraging her.

Took some time to work out who was responsible for not only one but two murders, but hey they got there in the end with the expertise of the squints.

Charming episode despite the gruesome crimes.

• Love the baby . . . but the story is just too contrived!!!

I love Bones, but sometimes I think the writer's get a little loopy with their plots. I thought the baby ending up in the tree and the baby swallowing the key were two key points of the plot that just seemed too contrived. Also, the fact that Brennan was able to keep the baby seemed unlikely. In normal circumstances, that baby would have gone to the hospital, since, for one, he was ejected from a car up into a tree, and secondly, he ended up showing signs of a serious health problem that needed to be attended to IMMEDIATELY! Were they waiting for little Andrew to have a seizure before they actually believed that he had seizure disorder and needed his meds? It's just preposterous to believe that they would just let an EMT check him out and leave it at that. Pretty much the writers were looking for any way to put Booth and Bones with a baby . . .and I can understand why, because all of the scenes with them and the baby were fabulous. If it weren't for the wonderful interactions between these characters, I'd give the episode a 3.5, which just goes to show how wonderful the actors and the characters they play are, since, in the end, I'm giving it a 7.5.
  • An adorable baby episode.

Sometimes episodes involving a baby can be annoying but Andy is an absolute exception. Andy is charming, an astonishingly cheerful child.

It's sweet to see Brennan connecting with Andy and that she is worried about his future. It was good that the mother made sure that Andy would be taken care of if something happened to her, leaving him to her best friends. It was also great that Brennan is spending her advance on the bridge which will help the town get back on it's feet. On top of that, gives her the perfect excuse to visit Andy and she has deserved to be part of his life.

A more down to Earth episode than usual but it was a change of pace to be in the more rural areas instead of the suburban.
  • One of the best episodes ever!

In this episode of Bones, the following happens. When a woman and her baby are run off the road and the woman is killed. Booth then hears a baby crying and the woman's baby is discovered, by some miracle, alive and unhurt. Booth and Bones change the baby during which he swallows a piece of evidence, in the form of a key. And so, chain of custody, they have to keep the baby until they get the key back. We also learn that Bones is the custodian of the baby, since she is a registered foster parent, something she did for her brother Russ. Just in case something happens to Russ's girlfriend, and there is no one else to look after the girls. They soon learn where the victim was from and so Bones and Booth head there, with the baby in tow. When they get there, they learn that the baby's name is Andy and that she lives just up the street.
    Soon the victim is IDed and Bones and Booth manage to get the key back. They learn it is for a safety deposit box and so they decide to head there. They have to hand the baby over first, but Bones refuses to do it, not just yet anyways. So Booth agrees and they keep Andy with them. Inside the box they find, a gun. After running some tests we learn that the gun the victim was hiding was used to kill their prime suspect. Soon what's left of the 2nd victim is found and the team realise who the killer is. He tries to make a run for it, but they manage to catch him. He is then arrested, as he confesses to the murder. Then inside of the victim's trailer, they find a letter saying that if anything should happen to her, then her son should be raised by her best friend and her husband.
  • The baby brings them together :) one of my favorites..../

One of the best things about this episode is that it shows the paternal sides of Booth AND Brennan. The baby definitely brings them closer, and you learn a lot more about Brennan's feelings, and how she usually keeps them hidden. Could this be foreshadowing something to come in the future for the two partners?? Also, I think it was really funny how Brennan let the baby swallow the key, and Booth yelled at her like she was supposed to know how to take care of a baby. Overall, though, this episode was a great one, and is on the top of my list :)
  • with booth and bones' new case brings on a big responsibility for the pair. they have to take care of a baby until they can get the much needed key back.

I absolutely loved this episode! At the beginning Bones wasn't doing well with comforting Andy, but as the episode went on, she got even more comfortable with Andy. This shows how well Bones can adapt to certain things. I also loved the awesome lines said by all the characters. I think that more episodes should be made where Booth and Bones do more than solve a crime. I.E: taking care of people or even having Booth, Bones and Parker spend a day together. i can't wait for Bones to come back for a fourth season on September 3rd for the 2 hour season premiere! tune in!
  • Another cliche ridden episode. If there was anything further than the 'kiss' in The Santa in the Slush guaranteed to get the non-critical dyed in the wool Bones fans drooling in their seats it would be the introduction of a baby! And that's what we got!

6.8
    This episode concentrated almost exclusively on the reactions of the main characters to baby Andy. The investigation of the murder of his mother was so sloppily written I'm surprised they even tried.

We started first with Angela doing her very debatable act of face reconstruction from a skull. She gets the face (and the hair style and colour) so correct so that the first people that Booth and Brennan show it to that they immediately identify it as being Andy's mother.

We also have the even more debatable revelation that the strontium content in the dead mother's bones could 'in a flash' identify the actual town that the mother came from. My that was useful.

All this was done in the first few minutes of the plot thus allowing the writers then to concentrate of the mind numbing droolings of everyone towards baby Andy. At least his poor acting skills could be attributed to his age and lack of experience, the same couldn't be said about the others. Despite liking Emily Deschanel very much I thought her baby reaction moments were rather forced and not very realistic.

Of course the murderer was eventually discovered - it did help greatly that he did a runner and despite having lived in the town for a number of years tried to escape by driving down a cul-de-sac thus allowing Booth to cut him off.

I suppose that now having had 'the kiss' and 'the baby' all we need in a future episode to get the fans going weak at the knees is a 'small helpless puppy'! That will guarantee further rating of 10 out of 10.
  • Awww… the baby was so cute.

Love this episode. Hodgins and Angela were cute about the baby think. As it got towards the middle of the story, I was Brennan was really good with the baby. We got to see that she was protective, and that she didn't want the baby to go to just some random foster family. Glad that in the end the baby did go to a good family.

Camille talking to Angela about babies was funny. Plus what Hodgins face when Angela first say she wanted a million babies, and then he said how many babies Angela gets is fine and something about her body, lol, Angela's face was priceless. Lol.

Overall great episode for this week, I love the cast relationship with the babies, that was nice part of them.

Ohhhhh!!! Next week, Brennan's father court case… I hope it all ends well.
  • I think Brennan is one of my favourite characters on TV!

This has always been a great show and I think I love all the characters, but for me Brennan/Bones is by far the best. I just love her awkwardness around everyone. Here we saw a big example of this, how she acted around baby Andy.
    There were so many hilarious moments, how she spoke to him like an adult and then she did the thing with her fingers, so good.

The tension between Booth and Brennan is so high, they just give each other a look and you just see it./ Wish they'd get together already. It was nice to see the baby go somewhere safe at the end and was great to see Brenan being sp protective of him.

Zach is probably my least favourite character but he does have some good lines. Hodgins and Angela are good together, I'd like to see a bit more of them now. Cam had some funny lines here. Look forward to more Bones!
  • Booth shows his maternal extinct

Really love the chemistry of Bones & Booth as we see them solve a mother's being ran off the road and her baby being left without their mother. It was really cute to see Booth, who is a father of a son, get to show his maternal instincts you could say. I love it sometimes when they show character development to see a different side of them. Really sad when that baby was left without a mom. But fortunately, the baby finally got to be with a family, which is the most important part. This show rocks and is only getting better!
  • awww. a baby.

this episode was so cutee. the story was good. bones really volved in this episode. in the beginging she was all avoiding the baby, then she wouldnt let him go. it was soo funny when she was talking in like "smart talk" to the baby. ooh, should i say andy was his name. but this was very nice because it was like booth and bones baby. the whole hodgins and angela thing was very nice too. and a million kids =). and at the end where bones was going to build the bridge to save the town. that was so empowering. so basicly she had this huge evolution. yess. so this was a really good episode.
  • All together now.......... Awwwwwww.

When Booth and Brennan discover a baby at the scene of a crash they have to play nurse maid whilst still investigating his dead mothers killer or killers.

I have to admit that when I saw the preview and episode review for this particular episode I couldn't quiet see it working, Temperance isn't the mothering type and though Seeley has a son I didn't think FBI's special agent Seeley Booth would get all gooey over a baby but to my surprise I was amazed especially at Bones and how she treated the baby, okay at the start she was very off put but soon grew into the role of nurse maid and by the end of the episode you could see both Brennan and Booth had grown very attached and didn't want to give little Andy up.

Personally I think when Bones and Booth ' eventually ' get it together they will make wonderful parents.

Another brilliant episode that I thought might have been a stinker.
  • A great one indeed!!! I can't wait for more like this one. Brennan and Booth, little Andy's parents

How could Andy end up in the tree on top of the car????

I loved this one not just because of the story but also because of Brennan's evolution. I really enjoyed seeing her being more open to Andy.

The first time, she didn't wanted to take him, she was so afraid and them she started letting the baby in. She started to hold him, to play with him, smiling. That jock she did in the car, when they were outside the recycle shop...she liked it. She really got very protective of Andy, only wanting to give him where there were the best persons in the area.

It's a great evolution for a character, special Temperance Brennan. I like specially one of the scenes at the end when Booth said "our baby", it was so sweet.

They work really well as parents lol
    Oh and I have to say, Hodgins is smart, really smart. He wants Angela to believe it's OK to have a million kids, even when she gets fat and all that. It's inverted psychology.
  • Finally another fantastic episode of Bones!

Finally bones is back on track, this episode was a true example of the very reasons i watch the show. The witty script and classic booth/bones moments like when booth said our kid or something like that just makes your heart melt and long for them to be together. It was definately a sentimental episode and it really showed a different side of bones, one where she is less serious (dancing phalanges) and has a passion for something other than work. The closing scene should also be mentioned as it was nice to see booth and brennan hanging out even if it was in the boot of a car just talking about looking after this little baby it was above and beyond what i had expected. I gave it a rating of 9.5 however i really hope that a near future episode can beat my rating from santa in the slush of 10!
  • Three B's: Booth, Brennan, and a Baby?

In lieu of Booth and Brennan finally admitting that they have feelings for each other, I'll take this episode. This was a classic in character development. The case wasn't the typical Bones case, and by that I meant that it didn't involve a strange gooey body found in the most bizarre circumstance imaginable; it was more about an emotional journey for Brennan, and Booth being there to help it along.
    The rest of the gang was there to help with the laughs as you see their reactions to a baby. Zack treated it as if it were some sort of strange species that he was unfamiliar with and I have no idea how he is able to be so completely clinical and devoid of social filters and be adorable at the same time. Cam's take on the baby was basically that they're cute, but I don't want one. Angela and Hodgins were hilarious as they navigated that relationship minefield - She wanted a million, and he wanted two. I loved the way that he used reverse psychology on her, and that sly little smile that he gave after he reminded her that he would love her even after her body suffered the aftermath of giving birth. There would just be more to her to love (tee hee)
    And of course there was the journey for Brennan and Booth.
    Booth is the typical hard nosed cop who goes with his gut, while Brennan is a scientist to the core and analyses everything with a clinical eye, and she starts off the episode in this same way. She discusses her finances in a logical way by bringing up the fact that she is having a tax shelter set up for herself because of the money that she's getting from her book advance, rather than accepting Booth's idea of getting a second property complete with a huge flat screen tv. She doesn't show off about the money and hesitates telling Booth the exact amount, admitting only that she is loaded, but nothing more. When Booth hand her the baby to calm him down, she is less than pleased and points out the fact that just because she has breasts doesn't mean that she has a magical power over children. When she is left with the baby, she has no idea what to do with him, talking to the baby as though he were just a slow adult, informing him that elephants aren't purple and not noticing that under her watch he ended up swallowing evidence. When confronted with the abject poverty that is killing the town that Andy and his mother were living in, she speaks about it as though it were the natural course of things. Towns die without a regular income and obtaining aid from the state without the town being fiscally viable didn't make sense to her. Her solution would be for the townspeople to move despite their sentimental attachments to the town.
    Through the episode we do see a shift in her prospective through her growing attachment to Andy, even though she's previously stated that she didn't want children, and through her connection with Booth who has a humanizing effect on her. She begins to show affection to Andy, talking with him, singing to him and indeed arguing with Booth to make sure that they didn't just abandon him to an overworked child services system. Of course, Booth watched this progression with interest and pleasure. It was obvious that he loved this new maternal side to Brennan. The little family moments with him, Andy and Brennan were amazing to watch. They brought a new dimension to the long looks that they tended to exchange. It was more than the usual smoldering glances, it was emotionally deeper. And of course there was the little freudian slip when Booth referred to Andy as theirs before correcting himself. In the end, when they were off by themselves in the middle of a wooded area, Brennan showed him that last surprise, telling him about her completely emotion driven decision to help bring a dying town back to life with her fortune. The look of pride on Booth's face was so sweet. And of course, when he suggested that she build a property in the town that she was going to save in order to visit the baby that she had grown attached to, he described a very interesting very family oriented scenario with Booth and a child bonding over a football game while Brennan made them something to eat.
    More than making out or flowery words of affection these moments are telling of the growing affection between these two characters.
    Can't wait for the next Bones.
  • Booth and Brennan become temporary parents as they care for a baby boy while investigating the death of his mother.

When we first meet the adorable Andy, Brennan stands back and it is obvious she doesn't know what she is doing. But as the episode progresses, her 'alarming steep learning curve' comes into play as she develops a bond with the baby, primarily because she identifies with the child who's mother is dead and father is a criminal. Booth being a father, is much more comfortable and we see him enjoying witnessing the change in Brennan, and the trust and intimacy of their partnership and friendship shows through the discussions they have on children, investment, and their futures.

But it's not just Booth and Brennan who are affected by Andy, with Angela becoming clucky and scaring Hodgins a little. It was a smart move by the writers to allow us to see the 'do you want children' discussion between this adorable pair. An important conversation in any relationship, it plays out well and we wonder if we will be seeing Angela 'get wider' some time soon.

A perfect episode that reminds us just how incredible these writers and actors are. Humour, emotion, and some beautiful squeal-worthy interaction and implications between Booth and Brennan. Perfect. Incredible. Loved it!
  • This is possibly my all-time favorite episode. What's not to love? We got an adorable baby, funny Angela/Hodgins moments, and amazing romantic nods between Booth and Bones. I say 10 all the way! Long review on my blog (check profile).

Copied from my blog: http://obsessedwithbones.blogspot.com

********************************************************

After last week's 'Player Under Pressure' I was a little skeptical about another out-of-order episode. I have really been jonesing for some 'kiss' aftermath and this episode should have aired directly before it. I must say though, I was very happy with 'The Baby in the Bough'.

This is one of my favorite episodes of all time. How could it not be?

-Cutest baby. Ever.
    -Adorable Hodgela moments
    -Cutest baby. EVER.
    -and top shelf Booth and Bones moments

Charlie - "Is it true Dr. Brennan's taking care of the baby? Because that's something I'd pay to see." Dude just stole Angela's role! Angela is supposed to be our voice. I'll grudgingly admit that he pulled it off well. This is exactly what the fans were doing - raptly absorbing this hilarious episode where we were eager to do exactly that: watch Temperance Brennan care for a child. And we weren't disappointed.
    ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The case wasn't one of the most interesting, to me. Minor beef with television show casting: who didn't know instantly who the bad-guy was when you saw 'Biff' (Played by Thomas F. Wilson)? No one else in the show was a recognizable face and he was right in the mix of suspects. It would have been more mysterious to have him play the husband or the husband of Carol Grant.

I don't mind that the case wasn't spectacular. 1) It's not the main reason I watch, big secret there. 2) With a side story so wonderful, a spectacular mystery would have competed with that. I'm glad the case was in the middle and, while giving a good base to the episode, didn't outshine the character stories.

Zack
    - The story about beets cracked me up. He has no clue and no tact and I love how well they portray that.
    - "Prodigious saliva production." This reminded me of Hodgins giving him advice on how to pretend to be human. We need to see Zack attempting to get a life and/or a date. If a baby has him in such awe what would normal situations do? We used to see this with Temperance but Booth has helped her become more and more 'normal'. Lets go back to season 1 funny, but with Zack this time. (Don't ever revert Temperance, okay?)
    - Zack hanging up on Dr. Brennan. Slightly contrived but still very funny. Z-"Is this a better time?" Brennan-"No, no, no." Zack moves to hang up on her again. Z-"Then why'd you call back?"
    - Gotta love our resident Vulcan/Robot.

Cam
    - I wouldn't mind it if Cam got a bit more of a life outside the lab. Her only role, outside of brief object of fan hate when she was with Booth and the single family story, is to play straight-man to the rest of the cast. Don't get me wrong, the writers give her great lines and she plays them well. But I'd love a bit more character development out of her. Tamara Taylor, and the fans, can handle it!
    - Cam stayed true to form in this episode. She was either a foil to Zack's social ineptness, a quick fly-by with important information, or the conduit by which the lab learned Andy's name. The one scene where she gets a moment to say something we should really listen to is actually about Angela and it's pretty negative on Cam, to boot. It was funny and it played a purpose but for the viewer it reflected a little harshly on her. She went to Angela to ask her about kids and played into the plot device of Angela being just a tad bit worried about what kids would do to her fab body. It just made Cam seem so...cold...and not in the endearing Temperance Brennan way.

Hodgela - (Hodgins/Angela - are they really separate anymore?)
    - Adorable, as always.
    - A-"Get used to it. I want, like, a million of these." ... H-"What do you think she meant by a million? Two?"
    - Cam-"How many?... Because a million seems a bit impractical." A-"I don't know. I kind of have a thing for chaos. I guess I'll stop when the Feds need to airlift me in supplies."
    - H-"I don't care if you're mushy and shapeless, puffy from constant hormone fluctuations. I'll still find you sexy." A-"Well I'm not going to look like..." H-"It's okay. When you get wider there'll be more of you to love."
    - I have a personal beef with him being a complete doormat to her whims most of the time. But I got the impression that the 'more of you to love' discussion had some purpose on his part. He did look genuinely crestfallen when she stopped the discussion but when he turned away and smiled he didn't look at all innocent, or sad.
    -A-"You two better get your act together or I'm suing for custody."

Booth
    This is a good Booth episode. He gets to do pretty much everything we love about him. He is protective of the weak, heroically self sacrificing, shows his blue collar philosophy, love of sports and love of Bones, teaches Bones a few things, and is just adorable. (I'll give writers most of the credit in that list but the nuances DB adds to Seeley give the character so much richness and deserve due credit, especially in the 'adorable' category.)

Cute Booth line: "That's right people: I am a constant surprise."

The breast milk scene was great! DB added some great gestures and visible discomfort to it but I love these scenes for this characters. Hart Hanson seems determined to deconstruct our classic 'hero'. These scenes where Booth squirm are so well-written and well-played. They give Booth a depth, and humor of course, unseen in most every hero, without making Booth any less heroic.

While Temperance's world view evolved in this episode, his was on display but unchanged. He's very blue collar and you can't get more 'hard working American' than a town that did everything you were supposed to and yet still fell on hard times. He strongly believes that everyone is equal and everyone deserves a chance. He doesn't push that on Bones, but by the end of the episode she is fulfilling his view without him having asked her to. While she is rich, and he dislikes the 'entitled' rich, he wants her to use their wealth for herself (and him - see later section) but is nonetheless pleasantly surprised and undoubtedly proud when she uses it to help people she didn't have to; people he feels are very deserving yet overlooked.

When Booth started dipping his hands into those bags of mulch I was both laughing and cringing for the character. He is a bit of a priss and I couldn't wait for the moment he'd realize he was sticking his bare hand into bags and eventually he was going to find the one they were looking for; the one containing human remains. The only way I think that could have been better was if he'd wiped his hand on her jacket as she walked away.

Bones
    Fish-out-of-water Temperance is a staple of the show and this situation doesn't disappoint. It's great to see her learn to care for, and even become attached to, a baby. And I'm glad they didn't take it too far. Zack provides the true out-of-touch scientist take on a baby. She has learned a lot from Booth. It's great to see her have something else to learn. And not only from Booth. This episode has her learning about herself and even evolving her own world view.

Her attempts to apply an adult, rational template to a child provide a lot of the great humor in this episode:
    "Obviously something is upsetting you." (to Andy)
    "Elephants are not purple. This is wrong."
    "...bears, which in reality would devour a small child."
    "I don't understand. I fed him, he's been changed, I patted him, and now he's just complaining."
    "We will find out what happened to your mother. I promise. Booth is an excellent investigator, and I don't like to boast, but I am the best in my field. (crying Andy) What do you want? Um...how about some visual and auditory stimulation? Okay. Lets see. Umm...Phalanges! Phalanges, phalanges, phalanges! Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges! (laughing Andy) Yeah! Booth thinks that bones are drying and boring but...Show me your phalanges!" How cute is this scene? They could have written it in a way that she failed miserably they didn't. Temperance is unconventional and a bit weird but she makes things work in her own (very humorous) way.
    "You know, his development would be heightened if you didn't talk to him like a fool."

In the last scene, Booth asks her if she's now more open to having kids. She doesn't really answer him, positive or negative. That in itself is telling. In the past she was adamant about her view on this. A quiet Temperance is a thoughtful Temperance and usually bodes change. She became very attached to Andy, though she's loathe to admit it.

There's more to Temperance in this episode than just the baby, however. She grows a bit more, even outside Booth's influence. At the start, she believes that the town should be allowed to die and all the residents should abandon it. But as she spends more time in the town, and of course with Andy, her view changes. She thinks her money has bought her influence enough to get a Congressman interested in the town but when that fails she realizes that she can do something more direct, and contrary to her earlier opinion, that she should do something more direct for the town.

Only Negative that comes to mind: "I can introduce myself." Eyeroll. Do we still have to see her do crap like this? She's evolved, don't make her de-evolve. Booth has introduced her time and again. It's obnoxious to see her do something like that.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Booth/Bones
    I have saved the best for last. This right here is why I watch this show and why CSI and such leave me feeling dis-satisfied. There are so many great B/B moments I'll just go one by one.

Changing Diapers 101 - Beautiful play of Booth showing Bones the ropes. She's completely out of her element and thoroughly annoyed and it works great. We get to watch Booth go out of his way for the baby and push Brennan into a situation that she's not comfortable with but he's very confident she needs exposure to.

Booth - "You look very Mom-like..." aww

Baby Daddy/Mommy - Bones- "...you're the baby daddy." In reply he says she can be the "daddy mommy." Now, there's two ways to look at this. If he actually was supposed to say 'daddy mama' that has a very different meaning that childcare. Wowza! But in reality I'm guessing it's a goof and he should have said "baby mommy" which is very cute and couple-like. The look from DB as she takes Andy from Angela at the end of this scene conveys a wealth of tenderness. Again, aww.

Priorities - Bones-"I'm not leaving you, Booth." Booth-"Yes, you will, because this about the baby, not me. Promise me." (Long pause with obligatory adorable baby shot.) Bones-"I promise." This is a very good scene. We've seen them rescue each other in the past and while her first instinct is always to back him up, and protect him as much as he does her, he won't let her do that here. He's showing her that there are somethings in the world that should be protected whether there's love there or not.

Necklace pendant - When Bones gave Andy that pendant I was half laughing and half hoping righteous-protector Booth would immediately come in and rescue Andy.

Breast Milk - Booth-"Probably because she didn't want it affecting her, you know, her supply." I love this interchange with a classic B/B bicker. They go back and forth with his uncomfortable shyness (and wonderful expressiveness) and her clinical statements. They stop long enough just to say a little about the case then she brings it right back to their 'discussion'.

Time to give Andy up - Booth spends the first half of the episode getting Bones comfortable with the baby and then he's supposed to take him away. While they are technically arguing it's still a very tender scene. He recognizes that she can't give up Andy yet. He doesn't relent out of any logical reason. He relents because she asks him to. Only wish for this scene is that he'd actually seen her blowing raspberries on Andy. How cute would his tender expression have been?

Time to give Andy up, for real - Booth-"Yeah, looks like our little guy is going to be just fine." Powerful look passes between the two of them and he amends with, "The little guy." True to form, he informed her first. When something manages to make Temperance emotional she sometimes needs time to accept it and deal with it before facing it. He knows this and in coming to her first he gave her that time. Despite that she's still upset, visibly (good work ED), when she has to hand him over to Carol Grant.

Final Scene
    First off, where in the world are they? It looks like they went out of the middle of no where to have time together. How very intimate is that? (Please correct me if you see any sign of where they are.) This is a great alternate take on the diner scene endings. The setting is even more intimate than a diner table: they are truly alone, wherever they are.

Booth feeling her out about kids is very cute. We saw Angela do it with Hodgins already and the symbolism isn't lost here. I think it matters to Booth that she be open to having kids. I like that they never have her adamantly deny it here. She can't let herself say she's open but old-school Temperance would have immediately launched into an "Anthropologically speaking..." diatribe. She's evolved and it's sweet.

Booth is proud of what she's doing. He links the pride in actions to kids but he's making it clear in every other way that he is most definitely proud of her. And I think she knows it and values it. But as she says, that's not why she did it.

The running theme of the house is a wonderful plot point. He categorizes it as financial advice but all his advice about this house is how he fits into it. I love it when they do this in episodes. I think the writers want these two together but they also want the show to last for a long time so what can they do? They can plant ideas like this of a couple's house, without actually giving them to us. Booth plans this house out, with his own media room for sports, 'family' type activities, and Bones cooking dip for him (incidentally DB has pointed out before that his wife makes 12 layer dip when he's watching sports games on TV). In some ways this is better, at this point at least, than watching them jump each others bones (no pun intended, I swear!). A dream surpasses reality in so many ways.

I'm so glad to be back into the Season 3 flow where these two are a fluid pair. They are together in ways that many couples only dream of and though I know it will be a depressingly long time before we see that commitment become official it is already clearly there. I hope the writers keep that true and don't introduce any more love interests to get in the way. They have brought the characters far too close for that.
  • Sweet.. :)

I thought long but the first and most striking thing about this episode is sweet.. Bones has to overcome some troubles she has when they have to take care of a baby. What first looks not promising, soon Bones establishes a great bond with the baby and starts to worry a lot. The way character development is done in this episode - sweet again.

All other things expect out case things going on.. like Angela and kids.. and the way Bones in the end gets so angry about the man who killed baby's mother. This really showed the best part of this show.. but what I was trying to say - the case itself.. was maybe not so well developed and thought as the main focus was things out the case.. but the things connected to case was always there.. so it was a mix of very well written char development and not so well thought case.

But overall, very good.
  • the team finds a woman's car burned with the woman's body scorched inside, but there is more when a baby is involved and becomes evidence; brennan shows off her parenting skills as she and booth work together to take care of the baby

ok i loved this ep..it was worth waiting a week for..i was a little worried at first about brennan being the sole provider for the baby b/c of her history with children (except parker) but she was awesome..at first she didnt know what to do but as the ep progressed she grew to like the baby more and more to the point where *spoiler* she didnt want the baby to go after they got the key..it was so cute and seriously who can resist blowing a raspberry on a baby's stomach..i cant! then i know this show is supposed to be a drama and it did have many dramatic moments in it but it was also a very funny episode..i laughed when brennan kept saying breasts and asking if rebecca breast fed parker and then booth was all uncomfortable..then her with the baby was funny and her with booth..and i love the reverse psychology hodgins did on angela..that was funny..the whole brennan and booth thing was funny and i know i clapped for brennan when they found out who killed the lady and she defended the baby im like you go girl get him..and then angela was awesome with her statement of wanting lots of kids..she would be a great mother..and i think the end was definitely one of the defining moments when brennan puts the binky in booth's mouth..i laughed until i cried
  • Booth and Bones get to watch over a baby. LOVE IT!!!

It was so exciting watching them basically play like a family!! I think that this was a fun choice for an episode after the kiss. And i would like to point out the fact that booth at the end was making plans in the "we" format!!! i love it and cant wait till they do more with the both of them they are so hot together. I think they need to get on the angela and hodgins situation though they kinda like forgot about them and thats not fair!Cant wait for the next one Bones is the best show EVER!!!
  • Humor, character-development, Brennan and Booth parenting a little baby-boy, and all this spun nicely around a worth while episode...

This episode made me smile a couple of times. Baby Andy is a new born star. I know you can cut scenes and do them over and over again. But right at the beginning, when Andy touches Brennan's arm while she is instructing the police man, well, that is just perfect timing. Although it was a bit predictable that Brennan would warm up to the baby, the story was well written and carefully put together. I also had to laugh at the telephone call between Zack and Brennan. They are both so completely not from this world sometimes. The rest of the team had their own ways of showing a bit more of themselves due to the baby. And that was good. I kind of keep looking for another kissing scene, so at the end I thought... here it comes again. But shocker... no kiss, just the pacifier. Have to wait until next time!
  • Even Bones is suseptible.

I absolutely loved this episode. The plot and script as a whole was a little bit out of character. But when you have a beautiful little baby involved it's understandable. The involvment of little Andy within the team was a great perspective. Everyone seemed to be taken in but at different levels. Cam adoring from a distance to Angela, being the protective lioness. You expected the reaction from Boothe, he's a dad. Bones on the other hand had moments of being wonderfully out of character. The case as a whole was pretty straight forward, she saw something that she shouldn't and it cost her her life. But fortuately for little Andy, he found people to see to his needs and find him a wonderful family. A definite favorite becuase watching Bones with Andy, was worth the price of admission.
  • Bones and Booth play family.

After being shuffled around we finally got a glimpse of how our favorite duo will entertain us when playing family.

When investigating the death of a young woman who burned to death in her car, Bones and Booth are stuck with her baby because Brennan "let" him swallow a piece of evidence, which makes little baby boy the evidence.
    While Booth seems to be in his element, Bones is very reluctant and needs some time to warm up to the little guy.
    It is cute to see the Squints all interacting with Andy.
    Throughout the episode it is Brennan's charater development that is remarkable. When she has to let go of the baby by the end, you can tell that she's really touched. Great acting by Emily Deschanel.

Emily got the best one-liners this episode :
    "Just because I have breasts, doesn't mean I have magical powers over infants!"

"Dancing phalanges."

"Do you want some auditory and visual stimulation?" (it's all in the delivery).

And there are tons of others.

Brilliant, funny and touching episode. One of the best.
  • Booth and Brennen find themselves in a case involving a murdered women and her unharmed son. After the baby swallows a piece of evidence Brennen, Booth and the rest of the squints must take care of him while trying to solve the case.

Yes the baby angle is rather cliche with television shows, but I just couldn't help but want to watch this episode. The case involving the murdered mother and the crooked tire plant owner wasn't exactly interesting, but a show like BONES isn't run on the cases its run on the characters.

And Brennen's behavior with baby Andy was the whole point about the episode. Their were a lot of memoriable scenes, including the one in which both Booth and Brennen catch the murderer and Bones gives him a piece of her mind. All in all this episode is worth watching more than once.
  • Both Booth and Brennan are stuck taking care of a baby boy after swallowing evidence...Two victims, one blown the other satayed so to speak...character development was shown allot in this episode.

Body burned in a vehcile a baby found in a tree. What more do you want from an episode? Both Booth and Brennan are stuck taking care of a baby boy after swallowing evidence. I found awesome character development come out of this episode with Brennan. From season 1 I could of never imagined her blowing on the baby's cheek, saying "Choochi choo" I wouldn't be surprised if later in the series she will actually admit into wanting kids. I'm enjoying and proud of the writers for such careful and perfect timing for such parts. The mystery was even interesting. Two victims, one blown the other satayed so to speak. The Jefforsoian team were funny in this episode too like when Zack called Brennan right when she was telling the baby no. and he hung up. hilarious. or the schemeing Hodgins changing Angela's mind into wanting to have a million kids to just two or three. And Cam revealing another side to herself about her thought of raising a family. character development was shown allot in this episode and I'm so happy they showed it. Booth and Brennan both having to be parents to an infant, caring and treating eachother and that baby as if they were a family. One favorite part of mine, Brennan did not deny any thought of not wanting kids in the end of this episode... and that right there closes this case.
  • A dead body is found burned in a car and a baby is found unharmed in the tree above.

I was laughing from the very beginning. Brennan is a genius, but I often marvel at how clueless she really is. One of my favourite lines from the episode was at the beginning of the episode when she shows the baby (late revealed to be names Andy) a stuffed purple elephant and says, in her usual matter-of-fact tone, 'this is wrong'. Absolutely hilarious. My second is (roughly quoted) 'she likes bears, which would actually devour a small child'. At first Brennan is extremely awkward with little Andy, but she slowly opens up to him. I love how she looks around after blowing raspberries for Andy, as if she's doing something wrong. Very cute.

I have to give this episode a lower than normal rating, though. I found myself distracted from the actual plot because by Brennan's growing affection for the baby. I enjoyed this, of course, but I almost can't remember what happened in regards to the crime.

Still, this was a great episode. All of the characters were at their best and they all had hilarious scenes. I especially loved the dialogue between Hodgens and Angela about their kids, very funny. I really enjoyed this episode.