The Blackout in the Blizzard

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 17, 2011 on FOX

• The Blackout In The Blizzard...

I often applaud formulaic shows for trying to stray from their monotony by delving into character relationships and advancing the deeper story at the heart of them. Bones' "The Blackout in the Blizzard" tried its hardest to be one of those episodes, but fell just a little short.

With horrendous weather hitting D.C and the usual amount of murder going on, half of the Jeffersonian team ends up stuck in the lab with a body, and half in an elevator, when a blackout hits. With somewhat emotional stories at either end, the murder takes the back seat this week as feelings steer us on. Stuck together in a freight elevator, Booth and Brennan are slowly forced into a conversation about their love for one another and mutual desire to ravish each other. Whilst the principle was sound given the six year long will they? won't they? that the character driven parts of Bones have been largely structured around, there really wasn't enough conviction in the conversation to make me feel much of anything for them. At the other end of the tale, some Macgyver work in the lab whilst slowly solving the least complicated case ever faced on Bones, is built in around Jack and Angela dealing with the possibility that their unborn child may be blind. The emotion on this end hits a lot harder than love in an elevator and was definitely the redemption for an otherwise plain character-centric episode. Ultimately the bad guy is caught as ever and everyone leaves happy to some extent. Maybe I was wrong about that formulaic thing not being in this episode after all?