Bones

The Male in the Mail

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 01, 2011 on FOX

• Most gruesome remains?

Well these remains were pretty gruesome and almost unrecognisable as human. Loved the boys toys both in the lab and in the print'n'ship office.But really this was all about emotion.

The reaction both of Booth and his grandfather to the death of Seeley's dad and Pops's son was full of emotion and brilliantly played by both David Boreanaz and Ralph Waite.

Brennan's character is developing too, as this time she helps Booth to some kind of closure.

Great episode all round.
  • Watch it free

Watch it free at http://tviou.com/view_item.php?item=39U22B122MDS&type=videos&collection=45#.TxKmOl5_oSM
  • During the opening of mail that could not be delivered at a postal station, a body is found mushed up in packed boxes.

The only real problems I had with this episode was I knew who the killer was right off the bat. They made it too easy to figure out. The other part was Booth's grandfather's news and the resolve that came from it for Booth, which IMO, came too easily

• A Box-ful Of Tears

Case: I liked how the body is discovered. This is what i like about Bones - that even though the cases are not always excellent each week, you know the opening scenes will always deliver and the grossness level will be always up! But that doesn't mean this week's case is a letdown. The case is pretty interesting and twisty. It's the first time this season that i was wrong about who the killer is. I actually suspected that it was the manager. I should've known that Brennan's observation of the killer's necklace would come into play. Well, maybe that's just me.

Relationships: The episode primarily centers around Booth, and him dealing (or not dealing) with the death of his father. It's great to see grandpa Booth again to deliver the news. Ralph Waite is great in this episode. He had me tearing up. But what really moved me was the last scene where Booth opens his father's box and remembers only the good things about his father - with a little help from Brennan. I mean, how often do the writers give David scenes like this? It was like David's answer to Emily's "The Doctor In The Photo" breakdown scene.

At the beginning of the episode where Brennan says "his father died" to Cam, i thought "okay, here we go again with the Brennan mistakes." I felt relieved that Booth (or the writers) didn't dwell on it.

Agent Shaw is back. Nothing much, but i like her character. I hope we see her again on the upcoming "big bad" episodes. There's also little to say about Hodgins, Angela, Cam, Sweets and Clark. That's just saying this is a main-character episode. I'm okay with it though.

Side Comment/s: I suddenly realized the gang needs a new hangout place, just to keep it fresh! Don't you?

Bottom Line: Best of the season so far without a doubt.

• Sometimes the story is about the people around the science

Another story where the backstories are important, not so much the crime. Another great episode with lots of good moments. Especially between Booth and his Pops. Ralph Waite is really undervalued as an actor. I'm glad to see that Bones appreciates a good costar as a vehicle to tell the history of one of the main characters! Good Job!

FOX