Bones

The Patriot in Purgatory

Aired Unknown Nov 12, 2012 on FOX

• 9/11 tribute episode

9/11 tribute episode, where the interns are tasked with solving a mystery death of a homeless man found a few days after 9/11.
  • Best episode in season 8

Phil jackson, 9/11, arastoo speech. and the conspiracy theory. Marvelous!
  • great one

For me, one of the best episodes not only of Bones but also of any other series... Just pure greatness!!
  • Awesome

The producers and cast of Bones were given an award from Los Angeles City for this episode and the way it highlighted the trauma that veterans go through.

There ae insights into the characters of the squints which we have never encountered before. Particularly that of Aristoo whose character is given a most amazing speech. Fisher also revealed hidden depths - in fact they were all well written.

Maybe Brenan's behaviour is at first a little odd but blame that on Booth encouraging her to watch basketball - you just know she would get really into it as that is totally in her nature. The end scene was also very revealing of the change and growth of her character now that she acknowledges her love for Booth. I cried too!!
  • Keep Watching It Gets Great

The Patriot in Purgatory started out HORRIBLY . . Bones was severely out of character with the whole team building / basket ball thing. I was ready to stop watching, but I'm glad I didn't. Even though the episode gave the most stupid reason for looking at these bones ever . . most of the cast was in character. It was nice to see the interns working together and the dynamic felt real. Because I didn't' think a lot about the title of the episode the direction it took was more of a surprise (wish the title has different so it would be more of a mystery). The mystery itself was great. Layer upon layer was relieved and it kept me guessing the whole way through. It's sad they couldn't have made this perfect by starting out better.
  • This reminds us why we watch Bones.

I grew up outside of NYC. I was ten when the planes hit. I never understood what happened, being Muslim didn't help either. I felt Arastoo speech was amazing. The episode had me crying in the end. The pain of 9/11 will never leave anyone who experienced that day. This was an amazing episode. Well written and constructed. However, although the intense emotions brought about by the plot, I didn't appreciate Bones attempting to channel Phil Jackson's philosophy. It was a wasted attempt in an otherwise amazing episode
  • Awesome ep!

One of the most beautiful episodes of bones! I actually cried a couple of times. I live in Belgium and I was remembering very clearly where I was when I heard the news of 9/11.
  • missing old squints...

It was good to see all of the squints together. But this also reminds me that I miss Zack, Vincent.
  • The deadly "very special episode"

Wow, a lot of people love this episode. I can't help but feel that this has more to do with how people feel about 9/11 than anything else, because it was very out of keeping for the series. Yes, there were a couple of genuinely moving moments towards the end, but most of this was painfully ham handed, just beating you over the head with its message.
  • 8x06 - The Patriot in Purgatory

This is honestly on of the best episodes of Bones I've seen in a while. Not only did it start off in a very entertaining fashion (getting all the interns together was great!) but it proceeded to smash every single one of my emotional buttons until I was a shivering puddle of snot and tears. That rarely happens to me when it come to TV! So kudos show! That was brilliantly done.
  • This HAS to be on EVERYONE's Top Ten

Beautiful, moving, touching, heartcrushing, wonderful, *sigh* all of the feeeels...... oh gosh but wow it was good. Especially loved how they handled the differing religions with grace and respect to everyone. Go Bones! (@faith_brennan on twitter)
  • Great!

The best Bones episode in a very long time!
  • Remember 9/11

I found this episode so moving it brought tears to my eyes the way it even made me remember what I was doing. I am from the UK and was working due to illness at the London Ambulance Service control room instead of out on the road as I was a paramedic. We must never forget the people who lost their lives that day and the others who are still being murdered by these fanatics
  • bod in the pod

I had stopped watching bone for awhile because I thought it was getting rediculous, but I have started back because it seems to be interesting again
  • Remembrance

This was a solid episode. It didn't matter that our dynamic duo was not at the center of solving the mystery of the bones, the squinterns did an excellent job. The shock of realising the meaning of the injuries, the frantic search for answers and of course confronting and dealing with the demons of that awful day.Bringing closure to a family and resoring the honor of a man who seemed so lost. It was well executed, the only thing I could've done without were the butt slaps.

It has been a long time since an episode of bones brought tears to my eyes, but this one made me cry.
  • Perfect

By far one of the best episodes.
  • astonishing!

This was by far the best bones episode this season yet, perhaps even the best of all time. Very well written and it kept me watching the entire hour! good job Stephen Nathan and all the actors! Just one question: though I didn't miss her in the slightest, where was Daisy?
  • A clever title goes here!

Write a quick review to share your thoughts...
  • Blindsided

A great episode with powerful acting but I personally felt blindsided by this topic.

As someone who was working in Manhattan on that day and having watched every second unfold right before me fairly sure I was going to die that day, this was difficult to watch and I found myself needing to use the pause button several times.

I don't fault the show but while it may have been 11 years ago, it still hurts like it was just last year.
  • A clever title goes here!

thats really one of the best episodes of bones
  • Not bad, but...

...this episode was against all reason. I believe in questions off Charlie Sheen like any intelligent being.
  • A Real Tearjerker

What an amazing episode. I was in tears for most of it. A fitting tribute for Veterans Day and a rememberance for all who have served and have given their lives in service to this country and for us all. As the relative of a survivor of the Pentagon attack, thank you Kathy Reichs, the Bones creators and producers, the writers, David Boreanaz, Emily Deschanel, and all the other actors on the show.
  • Amazing

This was, quite possibly, the best Bones ever. Subtle, no blood and guts everywhere, just team work and dedication. The attitudes of the interns as they worked, especially after Vaziri's, heartfelt, speech, the determination of Booth to do right by the man and, finally the funeral. Excellent
  • FINALLY!!!

An amazing episode in a disappointing season (at least up till episode 7), and i'm saying this as a HUGE fan of the show (can't count how many times i've seen the first 4-5 seasons).

Don't get me wrong, i still love Booth and the squints, and i'll watch this show to the end, but until this week it was getting kind of depressing. The thing is I truly miss the greatness. I used to feel like i could't wait a whole week to find out what was gonna happen next, but not anymore. Seasons 8 (and season 7 before it) so far made me miss the amazing plotlines and dialogues of the first 6 seasons (well, maybe not so much the Zack being the apprentice thing... I still think that's the dummest thing ever written. Beats even the last episode of Lost).

Anyway, i'm digressing. This episode reminds me of the good ol' days, when the case of the week was first a fascinating mistery and second a chance to get some highlights on the characters, not just some filler in the everyday drama...

It is beautifully written, intense, moving, engaging, clever, at times funny. In a word, it's Bones again.
  • a little bit of weird, a little bit of brilliant

Clearly Bones has changed in its strategy and dynamic of the characters, and I don't know if I like it, but this time it was nice to watch the interns and the actors did some good acting and nice things were sad like the reaction of one of the interns (whose name I can't spell) about having the same religion and slavery and stuff. And the very emotional hug at the end was also very nice.
  • Most memorable episode to date!

This episode sneaks up on you. What a wonderful tribute to our Veterans, 911 and the Vets who need help! BLESS ALL THE WRITERS of this episode. I was in tears almost from beginning to end, and the plea for Veteran help by "BOOTH" (David)....brought me to SOBS! And I would not have missed it for anything.

BLESS you....from the wife of a Retired Navy Master Chief!
  • Fun concept

Fun concept, the Brennan for Pres was cool too, but this Phil Jackson team building Veteran's day episode was sublime.
  • Brilliant episode,

loved every part of this episode, from top to bottom. It belongs in the top ten all time bones episodes.
  • Veterans Day Tribute

November 12 is Veterans Day in the US, and the man was a veteran , a patriot AND a 9/11 hero, so how could the timing of this episode be wrong? This episode was by far the most emotional one lately and I really liked it.

I also liked it for not concentrating on individual characters' problems but for uniting them all in the face of this investigation. I thought that the way the team of very different interns grew together while working on this case was symbolic of how all people felt united after 9/11. I mean, everyone's , not only Americans', lives have changed that day.

It was also understandable why a pathologist and a leading anthropologist were working at the scene of the tragedy in New York in 2001. What I don't understand is why some of the previous commenters don't see it.

Bones' tear in the end were unusual for the character but never out of place given the moment and the changes that took place in her life over the last two seasons, though I must say I thought Emily Deschanel's acting in the last scene left much to be desired. But altogether, it was a very moving episode.

• Maybe you should look at the episode again!!

From the beginning this episode was awesome. From Bones looking at basketball from an anthropological perspective to an unknown soldier getting the recognition he deserved. This episode bore the emotion and acting skill needed to deal which such a disaster that shook the world. For those who say that the episode felt left out and that it should have been played during a 9/11 anniversary or the 10 year anniversary last year; it doesn't matter when this sort of episode is played. There's no right time to deal with a topic like this. The squint's stories of their whereabouts during 9/11 was beautiful and heart-warming. The religious speech that Vaziri made was brilliant. It made the episode unbiased. For the people hating this episode, you're just not looking hard enough for the brilliance of this episode!
< 1 2