Bones

The Pinocchio in the Planter

Aired Unknown Apr 28, 2011 on FOX

• Am i the only one wondering about the lies in this episode???

okay - so i have never posted on this before...but after watching this episode and how strongly they portrayed the fact that bones was upset by the fact that booth had at some point lied to her...i couldn't help but think back to the episode when they had to determine the cause of the body that was "unofficially" jfk...at the end of the episode it was very clear that she had lied to spare booth's feelings...so why the bias for her feelings on this episode...i understand the severity that would have occurred for booth's character should this fact been brought to light...but maybe the writers might want to think about this kind of stuff....

but still a great episode!
  • The Pinocchio in the Planter...

The Jeffersonian team tries to decide whether honesty really is the best policy this week, as they investigate the murder of a man devoted to telling the truth. When a wealthy ad executive's body is found in a newly built play park, the investigation leads Booth and Brennan to find that the victim had recently become a member of a group called The Honesty Policy, much to the distain of his co-workers and family.

The abrasive nature that the victim took on leads to a wide pool of suspects being formed, ranging from his former boss to a terrible clown. The science is mostly left by the way side as "The Pinocchico in the Planter" deals largely with the squints trying out their own versions of radical honesty. Jack confronts Angela after she has been acting distant from him, leading him to the discovery that he is dealing just a bit too well with the possibility of their child's blindness; a story that will no doubt be a big part of next season. Additionally, Wendell tries to convince Cam to give him extra hours as he is in need of money, leading to some genuinely humorous moments that have made some of the more recent episodes of Bones far more tolerable. Outside of the lab, Booth and Brennan are at odds with each other over whether or not honesty is a good idea, and their relationship is nicely emphasized when Temperance becomes eager to know about the lies that Booth has told to her. Following some usual investigation and with a bit of field work, the team finally unravels the murder - discovering that a fraudulent lawyer in The Honesty Policy killed the victim to cover up his crimes - and the case is put to rest.

The episode really served as a nice reminder that there is something behind these characters that made me watch the show in the first place. It showed that they can interact in a humorous and very watchable way whilst serving the plot to any particular episode. The qualities that made the earlier seasons of the show good have been far more prevalent recently than at the start of the season and if the final stretch of season six maintains this level of charm, I may just be tuning in come September.
  • Maybe I shoud buy a Toyota...

OK, did anyone else notice the product placement?
    I mean, in the words of Cam, there's a time and a place to do it, and there is also a less obvious way.
    Just zooming in on the logo would have been fine. But no, we literally see Brennan explaining one of th e Toyota's many amazing features. It might have well been a commercial.

Back to the story, honesty isn't always the best policy. It gets people in trouble and can seriously damage feelings. The Cam-Wendel interactions for example were weird. I would have FIRED Wendel for being so persistantly annoying. And fr the perfume thing. But that's just me.

The Angela-Hodgins interactions were good though. I was wondering when the blind thing was going to pop up. I think they'll handle it well. And again, 25% isn't that much.

The best part by FAR was the end scene with Booth and Brennan. Sometimes honesty isn't the best policy, but sometimes it is.
    "Here's to what's left unspoken"
    Just tell her you love her.
    Honestly.