Bonkers

(ended 1996)

CyberCartoon

Bonkers Fan Reviews (13)

• Just As Great As Roger Rabbit, So Much So That It Lives Up To It!

I remember this as well as other shows mostly from the '90s that aired as part of the Disney Afternoon block. And I found every minute of every episode enjoyable. I wouldn't learn that this show was originally intended to be a spin-off series for Roger Rabbit for years until coming across that trivia on Wikipedia and that's an interesting fact. But that never came to be due to the legal and copyright complications, and problems between Disney and Amblin. Instead, this show also serves as a spin-off for the lead and titular character Bonkers D. Bobcat, who previously had his own shorts Here's Bonkers! (or is it He's Bonkers?) as one of the segments in each episode of Raw Toonage. After his series got dropped from number one in the ratings, Bonkers soon found himself out of the job. Then following an unexpected turn of events and a twist of fate, he ends up joining the police force.

Despite the fact that Bonkers! is supposed to be in the same spirit as Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (the mixture of animation and live-action), technically it's fully animated. One of the things I like about this show is the cameos by past Disney characters like Donald Duck, Goofy Goof, Mickey Mouse, Mad Hatter, March Hare, the dormouse and probably many others that I'd since forgotten like Dumbo. There is a definite Tex Avery/Bob Clampett vibe going on in this Disney toon, probably more than other Disney toons that have those influences. And for those of us who have been long familiar with the classic featurettes directed by them, the zaniness is just exactly what we love about it I think: The reminiscence of them. The group of episodes are split into two eras, which are known as the Lucky and Miranda eras, due to Bonkers working with two, different partners (Bonkers would pair up with the latter after the former got a promotion and moved to a new police agency in D.C.). Anyway, this is not to be missed and is highly recommended because to give it the best description: It's a thrill of a joyride that will keep you at the edge of your seat, as the hilarity ensues, from beginning the end.