Bored to Death Forums

HBO (ended 2011)

Bored to death gets bad ratings ??!

luciancd

[1]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 1

I enjoy this show very much and a 6.5 rating doesnt seem right !

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

h00plah

[2]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 10
    No, it's not right at all. I really enjoy this show so far and I can't wait to see where it's headed. If it were in the hands of FOX, it would already be doomed ... but there is some hope for the ratings. I'm going to keep watching this until the end and if it's cancelled, I hope that it's ended properly and not simply pulled off the air like so many other great shows. (Firefly... as well as others.)

mcnurple

[3]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 6
    The show's already renewed for a second season.

As for the show and episode ratings on TV.com, I've noticed that a few users, for whatever reason, have been dragging the score by giving a 1 (abysmal). I'm not even sure if they've actually seen the episode/show before giving such a low rating. TV.com has had a history of these juvenile show trashers who have nothing better to do than mess with the ratings.

h00plah

[4]Nov 3, 2009
    This is great news. And I have noticed a lot of "Abysmal" reviews, and I can't understand why people don't just watch the show and see for themselves that it's simply good entertainment worth watching every week.

Pizlop

[5]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    The only way this would get a rating of 1 by anyone is if they haven't even watched it. anyone outside of the demographic (whatever the hell that is) would at least give it a two or three. i've been telling everyone to watch this. i think the writing is top notch. and yeah, if this was on a network station it would be doomed for sure. glad to hear they've renewed it. it just drives me crazy on HBO and showtime; the seasons are relatively short and you have to wait so long for the next one to start. but this one is definitely worth coming back for.

efc91

[6]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 39
    Pizlop wrote:
    The only way this would get a rating of 1 by anyone is if they haven't even watched it. anyone outside of the demographic (whatever the hell that is) would at least give it a two or three. i've been telling everyone to watch this. i think the writing is top notch. and yeah, if this was on a network station it would be doomed for sure. glad to hear they've renewed it. it just drives me crazy on HBO and showtime; the seasons are relatively short and you have to wait so long for the next one to start. but this one is definitely worth coming back for.
    Totally agree with you I also get the impression that no body is giving this show a chance apart from the people at HBO.

CCsizzle

[7]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 2
    I've been watching this since it came out and I really enjoy it. I even got 3 of my friends watching it and they all think it's great. I gave it a 10 to try and counteract those 1's :-).

frozen1234

[8]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 1
    This show deserves a heck more than 6.5 I completely agree

ElectricSuzy

[9]Dec 1, 2009
    I agree with pretty much everything that's been said on this thread. When I came to check the show's TV.com page, I was puzzled to see the low average score. For a second there I doubted whether I was even on the right page, because the show I've been watching is definitely worth a 9.5 if not even 10! Glad to hear it's been renewed, though.

knucklepunt

[10]Dec 15, 2009
    • level: 4
    Yup. It's unfortunate that some of these smart off-beat comedies don't always do well overall. I find the stories to be clever and entertaining and the characters interesting and relatable. And how can you turn your nose up at a cast like this? Ted Danson and Oliver Platt have some of the best dialogue. And Zach Galwithafunkyass is in a league of his own. Hopefully next season the show will garner a larger audience and the ratings will improve

ElectricSuzy

[11]Dec 17, 2009

knucklepunt wrote:
    And how can you turn your nose up at a cast like this?

My question exactly! I don't think you can. Jason Schwartzman is both smart, clumsy, and nerdy, just what you'd imagine him to be for a role like Jonathan Ames. Otherwise, too, the show is just pretty much perfectly cast. I didn't use to be much of a Ted Danson fan, but I think I've just about changed my mind because of Bored to Death.

efc91

[12]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 39
    Now it's 5.4 that's a joke

kouxie

[13]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 3
    I totally agree! This show is excellent and so funny!! The problem is that the humour is subtle and the writing intelligent so most people won't appreciate it.... It's such a shame!! I really do hope that it manages to reach the masses!! Can't wait for the next episode!! :-)

weisserj

[14]Jan 3, 2010
    The average TV viewer cannot comprehend the humor of this show. It is just too intelligent. It's such a shame that idiots put stuff down when they don't understand it. They do this because they are upset and embarrassed that they do not understand.

The script is so well written and the chemistry between Schwartzman, Danson, and Galifianakis is perfect.

I have been turning a lot of people into fans.

martinilunch

[15]Jan 13, 2010
    5.5 - It's unbelievable! This Show is just gorgeous. Ted Danson is awesome in it. I guess most of the people on this site are 14 and as there are no handsome teenage vampires in it and none of the characters has any superpowers....Community has also got such bad ratings.

japhethshem

[16]Jan 26, 2010
    The comedy here is just too cerebral for most people to go for it.

MathieuBoisclai

[17]Mar 8, 2010
    • level: 2
    Just watched the 8 episodes in a row, I already feel in watdrawl. It's tough! It kinda reminds me a younger cooler Woody Allen (played by Jason Schwartzman). Ted Danson is so funny has the crazy boss and Zack (Hangover dude) is crazy funny with his weird love life and crazy wife! ahahah. Plus the Film Noir twisted with a comedy effect is awesome!! It's definetly one of the coolest show I've seen in that really unique genre.

ghaldos

[18]May 4, 2010

I can completely understand why some people would rate this 1 and personally I would say 6.5 is about right as the show does come off a bit pretentious or at least Jason Schwartzman gives that feeling and it would turn a few people away from it completely. I do enjoy the show especially the latter episodes and I think it will become a cult classic and I really do hope that it goes on for at least 4 seasons as it is on hbo this is probably the best we can hope for.

I seriously don't believe that the comedy is toointelligent for most people but rather the pretentiousness of it just turns A LOT of people away from it, I know for myself and several of my friends that it's one aspect of the show I don't enjoy about it. Also I'm sure a lot of people talk this up so much that it could never live up to the expectations of a new watcher.

Edited on 05/04/2010 9:50pm
    Edited 3 total times.

kouxie

[19]Jun 12, 2010

It's because most people are stupid. This series is subtle and well written so it's no surprise that it's not that popular.

knucklepunt

[20]Sep 3, 2010
    • level: 4

@ghaldos

Wow.

I was never one to claim this show was too smart for some people, I tend to give people more credit than that. Perhaps I was wrong.

The pretentiousness you and your friends feel brings the show down, is completely, 100% manufactured. It's subtle and it's intentional. And no one does faux pretentiousness like Jason Schwartzman. It's his trademark. But it's all tongue in cheek. And to not get that is really to not get the show at all, as it's this faux pretentiousness the main character exudes that basically sets the foundation for the show itself.

He's narcissistic, he's insecure, he's self-deluded, he's lonely and he's depressed. He creates the persona of a private detective to feel better about himself and give his life some purpose as well as impress his ex. But without the pretentiousness the persona unravels and he has to face his depressing reality again. It's a defense mechanism.

Whether you get that or not, the show is still incredibly smart and funny and it very much accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is to get you to laugh at your own neurosis and insecurities. They're showing us that very human, very flawed people can and are likable, imperfections and all.

Part of the genius of this show is its subtlety, it certainly fooled some into believing it was truly pretentious. Unfortunately, that same genius may lead to its demise. Let's hope not...