Bored to Death Forums

HBO (ended 2011)

Bored to death gets bad ratings ??!

JaimyPorter1

[21]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 1

I also love this show! To bad it's only like 25 minutes, wish it was longer but then again it makes you want to see the next show even more. I'm very happy that this show got a season two, it's got perfect cast and great writing/acting. I think most people wouldn't like the show, this because I feel you need some kind of connection/relate to with the characters and, much like movies by Wes Anderson. Some people just want simple action and just the hottest girls, this show is not about that, it's about cleverclumsinessand thinking about life

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TrueTvWatcher

[22]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 42

Bored to Death is a great show because it is creative, unique and original. The writing is superb, the acting is top knotch, and the storys are funny and awkwardly human. I really think this show could have a long run!

PutSthCoolHere

[23]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 7
    It definetely deserves at least an 8. I haven't watched a show this unique for a long time.

NiklasFrisk

[24]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 7

Is it just me or is the second season of Bored to Death so far been awesome? I think it is way better than season 1, anyone who thinks otherwise?

Drizzle2010

[25]Oct 29, 2010
    • level: 6
    I never trust tv.com ratings just look at the ratings for Nick Swardson Pretend time.

ghaldos

[26]Nov 2, 2010
    • level: 3

knucklepunt wrote:

@ghaldos

Wow.

I was never one to claim this show was too smart for some people, I tend to give people more credit than that. Perhaps I was wrong.

The pretentiousness you and your friends feel brings the show down, is completely, 100% manufactured. It's subtle and it's intentional. And no one does faux pretentiousness like Jason Schwartzman. It's his trademark. But it's all tongue in cheek. And to not get that is really to not get the show at all, as it's this faux pretentiousness the main character exudes that basically sets the foundation for the show itself.

He's narcissistic, he's insecure, he's self-deluded, he's lonely and he's depressed. He creates the persona of a private detective to feel better about himself and give his life some purpose as well as impress his ex. But without the pretentiousness the persona unravels and he has to face his depressing reality again. It's a defense mechanism.

Whether you get that or not, the show is still incredibly smart and funny and it very much accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is to get you to laugh at your own neurosis and insecurities. They're showing us that very human, very flawed people can and are likable, imperfections and all.

Part of the genius of this show is its subtlety, it certainly fooled some into believing it was truly pretentious. Unfortunately, that same genius may lead to its demise. Let's hope not...

Don't get me wrong I like the show but it really isnt subtle unless you consider getting locked inbondage clothes and having to run across town or getting stoned and shooting someone in the head with a rubber bullet subtle. I understand that he's acting pretentious on purpose I'm just saying I could understand how that would turn people away and I disagree that if that aspect was taken out the show would unravel but we're all entitled to our opinions.

All I was saying is there's a few posts here saying that it's too intelligent for people which is ridiculous to say the main reason why it's failing is because it's a detective show which for some reason no one gives a chance. This isn't going to become a cult classic by any means as I doubt many people will remember it even 5 years after it's off the air, having said that though I do enjoy the show and hope it does get another season or two at the veryleast.

Edited on 11/02/2010 11:08am

ninjadent

[27]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 5

I'm suprised too by this rating , but maybe people don't get it right , because it has a more ellusive humor . And suprisingly season 2 is even Better , i hope it gets a third one!!!

panetero

[28]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 6

I hope so too, man. Really enjoy this show for some reason. It makes me laugh without even intending to sometimes, I've always liked Ted Danson, that dude's hilarious.

northernen

[29]Sep 20, 2012
    • level: 1
    ghaldos wrote:

Don't get me wrong I like the show but it really isnt subtle unless you consider getting locked inbondage clothes and having to run across town or getting stoned and shooting someone in the head with a rubber bullet subtle. I understand that he's acting pretentious on purpose I'm just saying I could understand how that would turn people away and I disagree that if that aspect was taken out the show would unravel but we're all entitled to our opinions.

All I was saying is there's a few posts here saying that it's too intelligent for people which is ridiculous to say the main reason why it's failing is because it's a detective show which for some reason no one gives a chance. This isn't going to become a cult classic by any means as I doubt many people will remember it even 5 years after it's off the air, having said that though I do enjoy the show and hope it does get another season or two at the veryleast.

If you honestly think it's a detective show, you've not understood it at all.

It was clever, smart and intelligent. The reason this show only has a rating of 6.9 is the same reason as Two and a half Men has a rating of 8.5...