Bored to Death

The Alanon Case

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 27, 2009 on HBO

• The Alanon Case

The Alanon Case was an awesome episode of Bored to Death. I really enjoyed watching because there was a great story with clever writing, character growth and many laughs. It was interesting to see Jonathan on another case which hit extremely close to home. The subway scenes were hilarious as were msny others like George asking Jonathan to hit him. I liked how everything played out and look forward to watching what happens
  • An ok episode but not as good as the first

As Jonathan tries to mend his relationship with Suzanne, another case falls onto his lap. This time, he is tasked by a woman named Jennifer to gather proof of her boyfriend Gary's infidelity. Jonathan, who learns his new client loves to drink as much as he does, tracks down Gary and stumbles upon an unsatisfying outcome. Another good episode of the high quality HBO series. Zack has more screen time in this episode compared to last episode. Still Ted Danson has the funniest scenes in the series and I really enjoyed his character so far every scene he is in he makes this show. Kristen Wiig was wasted in the episode.
  • Whatever issues you have with the show, the promise outweighs the faults--when this show finds its stride, it will glow.

I find myself growing on these characters at a pretty steady pace-Jason is, easily, one of the most identifiable people in Hollywood, and his character here is fantastically rounded; I'm surprised that yet another show is focusing around a writer protagonist, but it's a pleasant surprise. Zach, likewise, surprises me: rather than his standard schtick of one-liners (hilarious though they may be), here he presents us with a full character, replete with faults. At the moment, the one thing I can find fault with is the lack of cohesion, but that's to be expected of any show in only its second episode. There isn't quite the balance between Jonathan's two lives (as a brokenhearted writer/journalist and as a psuedo-private detective), but perhaps this will lead to be the point-perhaps, at some point, he realizes that he has to keep them separate (as the point the two crossed in this episode had volatile repercussions). I'm highly interested in watching this one evolve.