Boston Legal

Can't We All Get a Lung?

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 19, 2006 on ABC

• For a season premiere? Now they could have done better. Seems like they spent more time on the title (which is cute by the way) rather than creating a griping season opener that could have captured new audience

6.6
    This was a good episode. As a matter of fact, if this were a mid-season episode, I wouldnt find a problem with it. But for a season premiere, the fans deserve more than just quirks here and there but actual stories that’s moving and almost inspiring at a higher standard.

The episode opened with Denise announcing that she was getting married to someone who might not live to see the next year so decided to buy a lung and got himself arrested in the process. Jerry...poor awkward Jerry, got his precious doll 'impounded' and molested. All the cop did was place the thing on the car. And Alan's left to defend him while he was dealing with his person issues. And Denny...well.

The actual gripping story of all which i felt could have been explored at length but wasn’t was Dan not being able to buy a lung. Boston Legal (or at least the writers) always seem to find a way to reach out to issues that one wont find important and make sense of how idiotic some part of the law can be. This was accomplished. As a matter of fact things got emotional for Denise and her outburst in the courtroom was not just great acting, it was actually stirring. Everyone's got a constitutional right to live. And Dan Post is a giver. He enjoys helping people out but as much as i don’t enjoy people getting away from things based on technicalities, he doesn’t deserve his fate. Purchasing the lung shouldn’t be illegal as its coming from someone with a brain tumour and the money goes to help the seller’s daughter pay for her tuition.

That part of the show was wonderful. However, Shirley's closing just wasn’t good enough. Usually I’m about 70 - 30 on whether or not they’d win the case but this time I was 50 - 50.

In this episode, they tried to make each subplot almost equal but nothing was really lacking. The major upside (or maybe I should say corny) was the constant innuendos they made. They were good but as much as I love to see middle age men talk explicitly about their sexual fantasies and a woman almost the age of my grandma strip on TV, I just feel the show might have nothing more to offer or its just playing to the rules of the network. Yes sex sells but they should realise it should be in moderation. When I tune in to watch next week, I expect something not only entertaining but something enlightening. Something that makes one think about the kindda world we live in otherwise I might as well go watch something stupid like South Park.