Boston Legal

Dumping Bella

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 30, 2007 on ABC

• Alan Shore as Shirley Schmidt and looking absolutely gorgeous? Where else but BL? The storylines are thought provoking but the dialogue is hilarious!

If the criticism is that BL is turning into Ally McBeal ... so what ... that was a really funny and moving show too ... I laughed and cried my way through many an episode and BL is just as superior in its writing.

Bethany's speech about the cruelty to animals in cosmetic testing was superbly delivered ... it made you stop and think about the terrible suffering animals go through didn't it? I hope so! But at the same time the writers never let go of the humour ... because there is always humour ... Judge: "Hold on! Are you a midget?"
    Bethany: "Are you an imbecile?"
    Judge: "Objection!"
    Denny: "Sustained!"

... and with Shirley commenting on the Judge's own face peel and then when the Judge says he doesn't believe in all that moisteriser, botox, fountain of youth poppycock she says:

"Oh please Judge ... how else could you look like you do at 100?"

It was obvious it was going to be a great episode ... Bella coming in ... not only in a blue coat ... but totally blue herself! Hilarious! Alan with prompt cards as Denny tells Bethany he loves her! Paul's demand they all attend a costume party to show another side of their personality to their colleagues ... you knew there was going to be trouble! Two Buzz Lightyears ... fighting it out!! Although who knew Alan would look so good!! And as with Ally ... you have the emotional side of the characters ... Brad finishing with Denise ... or is he testing her emotions? Alan opening up to Vanessa about his fantasy girl in the yellow dress that all women have had to size up to ... well she wore it to the party so he has made an impression with her! And Clarence and Claire ... an unusual couple ... but well suited because they look after each other! And Alan as Shirley dancing with Denny :

["Do I really remind you of Shirley?" "Hmm ... except some of the lumps are in the wrong place!" "The lump you are referring to is your own!"] What is it about men who show their feminine side? Well ... in BL ... it seems to be a must!

I hope BL runs as long as Ally ... if fact with the writing as good as it is ... may it run even longer!