Boston Legal Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

Alan Shore's greatest monolouges

parallax207

[21]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 15
    I think it can be said that the monologue from tonight's episode, the mighty rogues, may be the best of all. He almost made me tear up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackeyedhippy

[22]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    It's really hard to choose, i mean he is a really deep character and most of the time he comes up with good ones.
    I have to say bravo to James Spader, he is such a good actor for this role. Monologues are the best way of showing off acting skills.

which brings me off topic but to the point of my admiration for whoever is the cinematographer.. they do a great job too.

cale1234567

[23]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 7
    the whole attack on the supreme court was great.
    put down the magazine and look like youre paying attention

Will_of_the_D

[24]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 14
    cale1234567 wrote:
    put down the magazine and look like youre paying attention
    Ah yes, that's another reason the speech sucked. Thanks for pointing that out. I think Alan's Greatest speech was the one where he argued against that woman from another country sueing America for not funding some clinic. Forget the exact details but it was a very thought provoking speech cause it was rooted in truth and not political bias. I was impressed and didn't expect something like that from Shore. And the episode wasn't even a conservative or liberal one. It was just a plain episode that provoked thought and the kind of episode I thouroughly miss.

ladybritcomfan

[25]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 36
    His best monologue was in "The Mighty Rogues". He spoke from personal experience about watching someone you love (in his case Denny) suffering from Alzheimer's and how he knows that one day, he'll have to end his life to preserve his dignity.

neishi-boi

[26]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 18
    Some of Alan's monologues are absolutely brilliant to hear, while some other times they can just annoy/bore me.

sujaco

[27]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 1
    Tonight's monologue was golden against Big Tobacco.

Angelofattitude

[28]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    The mighty Rogues monologue was brilliant, and for anyone who has watched someone suffer it strikes home. But the way it was made so personal to Alan's character by Danny's "mad cow" and the emotion he himself brought to the speech was so moving and I would rate amongst the best closing given on any legal TV show, not just this one.
    Edited on 09/23/2008 7:00am

Will_of_the_D

[29]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 14
    sujaco wrote:
    Tonight's monologue was golden against Big Tobacco.
    Yes it was Golden, but it was also very funny cause I could've just taken out Big Tobacco and put something else in there and the argument would've been very convincing as well. And I know Alan Shore would not like that, which made his closing all the better.

ultimateguy

[30]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 3

It's funny that I come across this thread.

I'm a huge BL fan and I just edited together a DVD of Alan Shore's top ten cases. I basically looked for his best closings, and then added the clips necessary to properly set up each closing. The entire thing comes to about an hour and forty-five minutes.

I tried posting each entry to YouTube but eventually it got removed due to a copyright claim from 20th Century Fox. Pretty stupid since it basically promotes the show big time. And then they wonder why the ratings are low.

Edited on 10/22/2008 5:01pm

ladybritcomfan

[31]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 36
    I like the speech he gave on "The Mighty Rogues". I think that was the first time I realized why James Spader wins so many emmy awards.

MCGlenn1981

[32]Feb 2, 2010

I really liked the mighty rogues speech and Schadenfreude was great but as I particularly like this show for the comedy element I'd have to say the closing for "Fine Young Cannibal" was my favourite, where he ripped the district prosecutor to shreds who was charging the homeless guy who ate some of his already dead hoemless friend while cremating him coz he was really hungry

"shamless self promotion"

"Mister (my name appears first on the ballot come this november 2nd) Ginsberg"

and the finisher,

"makes you wonder, who here is really the cannibal?"

blackmage8472

[33]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 15
    The cannibal speech was great but my favorite was the one where he gets a soap box (selling sickness I think).

shk

[34]Feb 18, 2013

Thank you for starting this thread and reminding me of those closings. As you have rightly said, it exactly used to give chills.APart fromthose where he used to come up with justification to defend the foolish activities of some of the irrationale characters (Gerry and Catherine), all his closings were awesome.

And thanks to everyone who have commented on this thread. I actually went back and reviewed all these closings discussed in this thread from the script. My memory doesnt support me well enough, but I think the one that is not mentioned here and I liked was the "Euthanisia" one, where he was defending Schmidth's request of euthanizing her father. I got goose bumps and I really wished that James Spader could take that argument in the real world and convince the jury to come up with a law allowing euthansia.

When I used to watch BL, I used to appreciate the writer....full marks to the writer. But today, when I was going through this thread and reading the script, I must say that James Spader did a great job and I did not get those chills while reading it, and without belittling the contribution of the writer, Allen shore's delivery actually made those closings out of this world. Kudos to all

I miss BL...wish it could start again