Boston Legal Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

Boton Legal finale to start an hour earlier than usual (airs Dec 08)

slayme3

[1]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 13
    Most peeps prolly know, but for those who don't, it's a 2hr finale starting at 9pm eastern and 8pm central - this Monday, December 8th. Would hate for someone to tune in at the usual time only to find they have missed the first hour of the best show on tv.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Scandal2000

[2]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 7
    I am still annoyed BL is about to be over. Last week's episode summed it up best, ABC never promoted the show properly and there is nothing decent to watch on television. Boston Legal still has two or three good seasons left in it and still attracts a fairly large auidence.

slayme3

[3]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 13
    Yeah I totally agree. It's the best show on network tv right now, no doubt. Smart, sexy, intellient, great acting, great writing, Alan and Denny - what more could anyone want I say! And you are so right this weeks ep Juiced nailed it - Boston Legal truly is a one of a kind gem passed over in favor of bad reality shows etc. I would LOVE to see it return - as might ABC at this point considering many of their shows aren't doing well and Boston Legal draws a steady audience every week. But wow and by that I mean WOW what a way to go out! This season has been excellent - Devid Kelly has tackled most of the major contorversial or ignored topics other shows would never even consider to talk about! It has been jaw-droppinly awesome to watch at times this season. I have lauged out loud during every ep. Huge mistake to cancel this one ABC - it's one of the best. It will be difficult to watch the finale and say goodbye to such an incredible show, but David Kelly says this finale will be great so this should be a finale to be remembered. (Argh I'm gonna miss this show!)

Will_of_the_D

[4]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 14
    Sad to see BL go but given that towards the end, it became more often than not, just a liberal soapbox("I cried that night" Oh good grief!). Shame too cause when BL isn't trying to shove down an agenda, it's very good. This was evidenced this past week. DEK seems to be really pissed at ABC. Although I think he was a bit hypocritical talking about sex crazed characters on other shows with the kind of cast he's got. But I do think it's best that BL goes out now before it gets tired. At least it gets a proper sendoff, and without George Bush as president, the show will have a lot less matieral.(It's not like they'd attack Obama) IMO, perfect time to end for them.

lovemj

[5]Dec 8, 2008
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    Sad to see BL go but given that towards the end, it became more often than not, just a liberal soapbox("I cried that night" Oh good grief!). Shame too cause when BL isn't trying to shove down an agenda, it's very good. This was evidenced this past week. DEK seems to be really pissed at ABC. Although I think he was a bit hypocritical talking about sex crazed characters on other shows with the kind of cast he's got. But I do think it's best that BL goes out now before it gets tired. At least it gets a proper sendoff, and without George Bush as president, the show will have a lot less matieral.(It's not like they'd attack Obama) IMO, perfect time to end for them.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Will. This season has been a little to preachy. What's more, it's been preachy at the characters expense - does anyone actually believe that the Denny Crane we came to know and love would really have cried for Obama? It didn't fit his character as DEK had been developing it. I will disagree though about the (not so) subtle shots at ABC - I got a laugh at those.

All in all, this has been kind of a disappointing season for me, at least when compared to the early seasons. While it's had flashes of greatness, it's also had more scenes that just felt, well, lazy - again, as compared to other seasons. Almost seems like, at times, they just weren't trying.

All that said, this is still one of my all time favorite TV shows, and I'm adding it to my lineup of TV shows on DVD that I break out every 2 to 3 years to re-watch from start to finish (joining the West Wing, Sports Night, 24 and The Wire). Plus I have the added bonus of having all the Alan scenes from the last season of The Practice on my computer...call it a prequel to BL!

Looking forward to the final chapter tonight.

KellyKKelly

[6]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 8
    I loved this ending!! I knew it, and predicted it to friends and family - that Denny and Alan would marry. They scoffed. Alriiight! Perfect ending. Perfect. Oh, I do hope that Denny and Alan will be back with a new show, along with the whole wedding party. I loved the Supreme court scenes. Fabulous writing. Oh, and they're replacing this amazing, intelligent, witty, laugh out loud, brilliant show with ... wait for it... a superficial beauty contest. Good grief.

ultimateguy

[7]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 3
    *SPOILERS WITHIN*

I loved this ending. It was a little unsettling that the chinese guys said that Alan would be reigned in and gotten rid of if necessary. But I guess it's like he said, he'll start a legal aid clinic.

I adored the shots at ABC. If this stupid network had actually promoted the show properly, it probably wouldn't be ending right now.

I still don't buy that the firm went broke... it started off as a big time law firm with money to spare, and suddenly near the end they're broke? Yeah right.

I agree season 5 was a little preachy. All the seasons had a different flavor to them. My favorite was by far season 2, least favorite being the first half of season 4 (the shows that aired before the writer's strike.)

All in all, I thought it was a great ending. I got together with fellow fans of the show for it. We were all quite sad, and agreed it was the end of an era. The only other show that I watch on television is Big Bang Theory. Thank God for 24 starting up in January.

Alan & Denny, you will be missed.

Will_of_the_D

[8]Dec 9, 2008

ChcurchI thought it was a half decent and thought provoking, at times, ending. Alan and Denny marrying, how fitting! lol It's odd that the last two seasons were the most preachy and yet my favorite character came during them. I am glad that Katie made it to the end without hoping in the sack. Nice closure for her and Jerry. Still wish Alan could attack somebody besides the conservative justices. Heck, most of the leftist justices didn't even talk. But it was funny having Scalia marry them. lol Shame DEK can't always write like this, keeping bias at least to a minimum. I guess he partially redeemed himself for the senseless and one-sided leftist politics promoted all season long. Side note: I too, do not buy that a high-powered law firm is suddenly so broke that they have to sell out to the Chinese. Second Side Note: The Catholic Church would never marry Shirly and Carl to begin with. So that was a bit unrealistic. Yes, I know they eventually didn't marry them but even suggusting that they would've is evidence of not enough homework being done.

But all in all, decent sendoff.

Edited on 12/09/2008 4:36am
    Edited 2 total times.

haldrey

[9]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 22

Scandal2000 wrote:
    I am still annoyed BL is about to be over. Last week's episode summed it up best, ABC never promoted the show properly and there is nothing decent to watch on television. Boston Legal still has two or three good seasons left in it and still attracts a fairly large auidence.
    You do not know how right you are. How I am going to miss this show! The Allan Shore monologues, the dissertations in the balcony, etc, etc. Anybody think that some other station can pick up this show?

After BL there is nothing in ABC for me. They should kill Life on Mars and get off the air.

Edited on 12/10/2008 1:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

AprilFox

[10]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 109
    I'm so sad to see the end of this funny, smart and entertaining show. Depressed that it's over. So long Denny, Alan, Shirley and co......

p3epe

[11]Dec 10, 2008
    It's like they left the plot open to the possibility of another network renewing the show. That, or bad writing

luiz4200

[12]Dec 11, 2008
    • level: 38
    p3epe wrote:
    It's like they left the plot open to the possibility of another network renewing the show. That, or bad writing

They should have brough Practice characters. Even if it was only Ellenor making a cameo during the wedding.

rickvega

[13]Dec 13, 2008
    • level: 8

ultimateguy wrote:
    *SPOILERS WITHIN* I loved this ending. It was a little unsettling that the chinese guys said that Alan would be reigned in and gotten rid of if necessary. But I guess it's like he said, he'll start a legal aid clinic. I adored the shots at ABC. If this stupid network had actually promoted the show properly, it probably wouldn't be ending right now. I still don't buy that the firm went broke... it started off as a big time law firm with money to spare, and suddenly near the end they're broke? Yeah right. I agree season 5 was a little preachy. All the seasons had a different flavor to them. My favorite was by far season 2, least favorite being the first half of season 4 (the shows that aired before the writer's strike.) All in all, I thought it was a great ending. I got together with fellow fans of the show for it. We were all quite sad, and agreed it was the end of an era. The only other show that I watch on television is Big Bang Theory. Thank God for 24 starting up in January. Alan & Denny, you will be missed.

I have to agree with u I still dont buy it. If they needed the money why not let go some of the people and why make more Sr. partners????? It seems fishy how all of a sudden the firm is broke, I cant imagine bad managing with the money so where did it all go ????

Sad to see it end this was the one show I always looked foward to see on mondays I always looked foward to seeing William, Candice, and David I will miss them and all the rest of the cast.

p3epe

[14]Dec 14, 2008
    Denny didn't have to marry Alan to give him the money for his new firm. Considering it'd be like a charitable organization (helping poor people for free) wouldn't that donation be tax exempt? Just a thought.

rondetto

[15]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 3

So, I guess this fourth series is to be the last. We haven't seen it in the UK yet.

I'll miss it too, because it's the best thing on tv.