Boston Legal Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

Could you comfortably accept Jerry?

Irwin50

[1]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 1

Now, Jerry's a little different, isn't he? Yeah, he is. And nothing wrong with being different. It's not better, it's not worse, it's just different. It's fine to be different! In fact,we should be about the business of accepting people for who they are.

Okay, the book on Asperger's Syndrome is that the person is strong with technical skills and awkward with social skills. This a little bit reminds me of one of the Beatles producers who said that the book on the Beatles was that John Lennon was the lyric guy and Paul McCartney was the melody guy, except, except. . . there were plenty of examples of John writing excellent melodies and Paul writing excellent lyrics. So, the truth quickly becomes much more complicated.

I think it's closer to it to say that people with Asperger's have patchy social skills, excellent in some areas and sub-par on others. Well, every human being who has ever walked across the face of the Earth probably has had patchy social skills! But I think someone with Asperger's has skills more patchy than average.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luiz4200

[2]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 38
    I think so.

Irwin50

[3]Apr 18, 2010

Good for you!

leakildgaard

[4]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 7

just to clear up a little confusion: people with aspergers don't nessecarily have poor social-skills, and the degree of "social difficulties" varies greatly between people with aspergers. the actual difference between people with aspergers and so called "normal people" is that normal people are born with an instictual social skill-set a specific part of the brain that dictates all social interaction, people with aspergers are born without this skillset which means that they have to learn everything the way one would learn how to read or do math, and like with everyting else you learn if you don't practice or haven't done it in a long time you forget most of it and have to startover again.

Irwin50

[5]Jun 12, 2010

I can go with that. Yeah, to me, it's a little like a second language. And yes, I have Asperger's. And another thing, whether it's films on pollution in elementary school, an obvious injustice in college, or a military occupation where we way wear out our welcome, why am I the only one who takes it seriously? And I know that's not really the case. But that's sure how it feels.

ChipsTheButler

[6]Dec 21, 2010
    • level: 9
    Is the way Jerry written even an accurate why aspbergers is manifested? it seems to me that his 'quirks' became so exaggerated it is a far cry from what real sufferers behave like. For a period in the show it was like "oh let's see what wacky tick Jerry has this week!" until he had a shopping list of them.

/rant. I'm just not a big fan of how his character was handled.