Boston Legal

Last Call

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 08, 2008 on ABC

• DEK ties up loose ends, closes doors, opens doors, and gives us the ending that we didn't really get last year when he thought the series was finishing.

DEK valiantly and respectfully brought back old favorites over the last several episodes, I suspect in deference to both his audience and the players. Paul Lewiston came back for the last few, as did Betty White's tiny old lady character. It was hard to shed a tear for the ending because it was all a bit choppy for my taste. At one moment they are arguing in a church and in another they are off to Nemo Bay (and then back again in the same day, like we were watching Prison Break or something).

We got a small taste of what is to come in the next series: It's looking like a legal aid outpost in Nemo Bay? with a more silly flavor - the non-gay married couple practicing law for free. I wonder if it will come to pass with William being closer to 80 than he was a year ago.

I have loved to see the passing shots at the idiot network execs who think that reality TV is what the public wants.

Thank you, David E Kelly, for a fine show. Now what will I do? I will miss all of your characters.