Boston Legal

Patriot Acts

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 21, 2008 on ABC

• Stunning...

While I realize that the same can be said for just about every other episode of this show, this was so amazing. Alan agrees to help Judge Cooper attempt to secede from the US. Denny is offended and he and Carl represent the United States. The tension that builds between Alan and Denny is more poignant than any feud they've had in the past, and Denny's speech about how he lived through the feeling of that America might not be there. It PERFECTLY expresses the views of millions of elderly Americans, and gives them a counterpoint while not dismissing them, or taking them lightly. It walks both sides of the line,but not to the point of losing all real meaning in favor of political correctness. It retains its powerful message. Alan's closing, and Denny's reaction, are ineffably astounding. Astounding seems like such a useless word here. Denny's realization that Alan is not being a traitor is the best acting of William Shatner's legendary career. The last scene is moving. I think this is the best episode of Boston Legal, and by virtue of the fact that Boston Legal is the greatest show ever made, that makes this the best episode of all time. That may sound hyperbolic, but with the decline of television into a reality show/soap opera filled void, this show shines past anything done in this decade. And I simply cannot think of any TV show (even ones not in the 2000's) that possessed more emotion, comedy, mature dialog, sillyness and overall passion, all being acted by people like James Spader and John Larroquette, William Shatner and Candice Bergen. I simply cannot think of anything better.

Every Emmy Award deserves to go to this episode.