Boston Legal

ABC (ended 2008)

123home123

Boston Legal Fan Reviews (229)

• unbelieveable bunch of bogus anti gun dribble. don\'t waste my time with biased political statements, entertain or get off the air

0.4
    i will not be subjected to political garbage again. you get one more chance. unbelieveable bunch of bogus anti gun dribble. don\'t waste my time with biased political statements, entertain or get off the air. This was unbelieveable. who writes this garbage? hasn\'t he ever read anything written with intelligence?
  • Political sniping spoils otherwise great show

Started as a very funny show. I think William Shatner is comedic genius. The interplay between Shatner and Spader made this a must watch show. When Candice Bergen joined the cast the weekly underhanded political attacks started. Theses attacks, usually only a few lines, were not even humorous. I do not understand why the the writers felt the need to spoil a comedy with these mean spirited diatribes. I emailed the show and expressed that this spoiled my enjoyment and suggested they stick to only comedy. I got no response, I assume that the viewers entertainment was considered second to the writers desire to express political rants. Saddened, I stopped watching; as did others.
  • There was a show called Boston Legal which was funny....

As much as I defend this show to people, it has come to an end. I must say after watching this episode, I want to tear my eyes out. It looks like the bottom of the tank has arrived at episode 10. Not funny at all. More alarming to say the least. To lump all of the story lines over a Thankgiving meal, not all at smart. This show was about the fun. Bridging the economy it is was wise, but it has lost it's mojo. Mr. Shore has become a statistician. Jerry is just an ass. It is good that this series has come and gone. Mr. Spader is better than this.
  • What used to be fun with the show's political bantering was just downright ugly and unAmerican.

So this ep was basically David Kelly's financial contribution to Obama's political campaign. Nowhere in history can I remember a show dedicated to making such an ugly point about people who chose to vote for John McCain. It was so hard to watch because they just kept hammering away, and by the end, they actually had one character reveal his off-ticket vote. This show is going down fast - and since it's on its way out, they just don't care about their fan base. Heck, 45% of the country voted for McCain, so there are 58.4 million "stupid" people out there... just watch the episode Kill Baby Kill to see David Kelly continue his ugly Democrat views.
  • Do I need to see another political ad on TV???

Normally I love this show. They usually get into a lot of controversial stuff. Even though it is usually interesting, this show was a blatant ad for Obama and it lost me right there. I could've been for McCain as well and it would've had the same effect. To use a television show as someone's political forum sucks.
    This is the first time I have written on this particular site and it doesn't make sense to me to have to fill up a minimum of 100 words. This being the case and I have to keep writing. The fact that old boy thinking was blasted was a great move. Corporate America is in a hell hole in part because of the old boy network. Same old dusty thinking and arrogance is killing our country. Ah 134 words, finally!!
  • Blatant Political Advertisement

The writers for this show normally provide thought provoking comments on the major issues of our society. This week included a comment on the FDA. It was interesting to consider the idea that the FDA might cause a cattle ranch to stop testing all their animals for "Mad Cow" just because it reflects poorly on the rest beef industry who only test a small percentage of their cows.
    The story line about Jerry is always done in an interesting manner.
    The undercurrent related to the election may have put me completely off the show. I was happy to see that all the characters considered it important to vote. The American Political System would not work if people in this country did not exercise their right to choose. My issue is with the show clearly picking one candidate over the other. It came off like a paid political advertisement; The only thing missing was a statement at the end from Obama saying, " I agree with this message." I don't mind discussion of the issues, but don't tell me who to vote for.
  • Obama commercial

I understand that the series creator leans to the left politically, and week after week I put up with it because after all, it's just a TV show. No reason to get worked up about it, right? Well, this week just went over the top. It was one hour long Obama commercial with some story bits thrown in. Honestly, a show this clever could run for ten years -- except for one fatal flaw -- too many people are sick of the heavy political agenda being shoved down their throats with all the subtlety of a mad cow. Wonder why the ratings have decreased steadily every season? You shouldn't.

Further, the producers aren't satisfied with just waving their agenda flag during every episode, they have to also make any conservative characters appear to be complete idiots. Is every liberal (in real life) an idiot? Of course not! Is every conservative (in real life) an idiot? Also, no. Boston Legal show runners see it a bit differently.

Every "conservative" (and there are none really, because they are never portrayed accurately or fairly) on the show is written as the bad guy or a complete dolt. (Denny Crane is NOT a good example of a conservative -- they just want you to think he is.)

Thanks Mr. Kelley, for ruining what could have been great TV for years to come. If only you could have kept your political opinion in check. On your future projects, I would like great content without the political rants, if you don't mind. Just because YOU believe in a certain point of view doesn't make it right. Viewers are changing the channel in droves because you offend about half of your total viewers every episode! Please do us all a favor and try and keep your political opinions to yourself next time? Thanks.
  • insufferably smug

What do you do if you are immensely rich, absolutely sure that the vast majority of US citizens are rock-stupid, and can't seem to get Right Thinking People (like that, with capital letters) elected no matter how much money you and your RTP friends contribute? Why, you write a derivative, cartoonish lawyer show where your chosen parrot is allowed to speechify anything you think, and your chosen strawmen are crushed or otherwise held up to ridicule. If you're David Kelly, that show is "Boston Legal". RTP watch the show, and tell themselves that they can't be in the minority, what they think is right there on the television. It's a fine, albeit pathetic exercise in narcissism. While there are a bunch of actors in this show, make no mistake, there is only one character - James Spader's Alan. Everybody else is there to highlight Alan. Any opponent is an obvious moron (usually saying things that no one would ever say anywhere, and certainly not in a court), any supporter just repeats what Alan says. Give this turkey a pass, it ain't worth your time.
  • Isn't enough, enough. Why do people want TV shows to tell them how to think about opinions, can't people think for themselves? I would have put less than a 1 but for some reason this site won't let me, must be a glitch.

I'm not trying to be preechy, but when did shows all stop doing jokes, and start forcing their opinions on people. Just because this show has big names Shatner & Bergan, and some people like them, doesn't make it a good show. Bergan has made a career out of forcing opinions down people's throats look at Murphy Brown. It's just gonna get worse and worse, and then pretty soon they are going to start losing viewers, like the movie industry has. I just want jokes is it asking to much to just sit down relax and here some funny dialogue and good drama, without their opinions, beliefs, and views being shoved down my throat.
  • Boston Legal does NOT have to continue stooping to degrade women lawyers on that show for ratings.

1.5
    Making sexual remarks and calling one female lawyer BLONDE is neither cute nor endearing for female viewers.Do you have such high ratings that you can afford to alienate your female viewers? i am quite sure women are outraged by this infantile writing.why not show the women attorneys the same respect as you show the male attorneys?
  • Total waste of time, energy and brain cells

I want to invent a new phrase. We all know about a show jumping the shark. But I cannot use that phrase to this show during this season because its an insult to all those shows which jumped the shark. How about "eating the shark", "waltzing the shark", "screwing the shark". Honestly! The season finale was a total disaster. It was a stupid propoganda against the Chinese for no reason. Marriage of Denny and Alan was totally uncalled for. The Supreme court scenes were a total mockery of everything. If I was an American, I would sue the producers for bad taste in how this episode was done. All in all, I am glad this show is over.
  • Endless buffoonery, endless political agendas and endless wasting of talent

Ya know, there may be no TV actor more gifted at delivering oratory than William Shatner. And he did, in the beginning, and brilliantly. Now he has been reduced to the punching boy of left leaning writing and directing. What a waste. They have transformed him from being eccentric with maybe a touch of Alzheimers to being a buffoon.

Early on James Spader had teeth. Now, he is defanged, declawed and de . . ., well, neutered.

The show has truly lost it's way. It has lost me.

Rhona Mitra added a smoldering, dark sexiness with her character. She's gone.

Lake Bell added an odd, quirky sexiness with her character. She's gone.

Monica Potter was a subtly comic counterpoint to the antics of James Spader. She's gone.

Rebecca De Mornay's character was deliciously antagonistic to Spader's. She's gone.

I don't blame them. I'm gone too.
  • "Let's just hire some somewhat famous actors and make them spout our political agenda every week"

I watched the last season of the Practice and the best part by far was the new character they introduced: Alan Shore. An antitrust lawyer - The best in Massachusetts - who had been fired from his old firm for embezzling. It was clear that he was going through a personal crisis (they never really explained what that crisis was about though) and we watched his transformation from a corporate corrupt attorney into a corrupt defender. He cared about his clients, and always went out of his way to defend them.

He got fired from Young, Fruit and Berlutti, and the fact that he wasn't disbarred after admitting in open court all the crimes he committed was an absurdity. He went on to work for the firm that represented him in the lawsuit against his former bosses, and so Boston Legal began.

I realize that if they had Alan use the same antics he used during season 0 it would be a hole alternative reality (there's only so much you can get away with, even as a fictional character...) but they took this complicated, conflicted, morally challenged but kind man and turned him into a regular attorney who spouts DEK's liberal views every week. The only development we've seen is his relationship with his boss and best friend, Denny Crane.

I simply could not get attached to the other characters, because they did what they always do in DEKLand: Introduce them out of nowhere and drop them without much of an explanation. Remember that loud cross dresser from last season? And his girlfriend from the season before that? How about Brad? He was supposed to be Alan's nemesis, but he just faded into the background slowly, and all of the sudden he was working at the DA's office. Same for Paul and his rivalry with Alan, it's like he just gave up.

There was always talk about the partners removing Denny Crane, or Alan getting fired, but the writers never had the guts to take any real risks with this show, the settled for making a silly comedy and preaching their liberal agenda and for the first few years I felt so disappointed and cheated.

I still tune in every week, and to be honest I don't even know why.
  • BRING IT BACK or launch a spin off series.

I agree, BRING IT BACK!

I have recently re-watched all five seasons of Boston Legal and as Denny would say "Lock and Load". I will miss the weekly court battles, righting the world of all it's injustices, how ever ridiculous they may have been. It's going to be a poorer World without hearing the infamous and God like statement, which is the answer to all questions, "Denny Crane"! I will miss the brilliantly crisp and eloquent dialogue Danny and Alan had at the end of every episode on their balcony. The conclusion of every episode was superb, rounding up in their eyes what we should take away from that weeks show. Alan Shore's courtroom battles were legendary. You always knew that Alan would wipe the board with who ever he was locked horn's with, but I never tired of the long closings. I particularly enjoyed the ones where he had just presented a heart felt, chill down the back of the spine, emotional closing and then just sat down silently and looked forward. Cool or what! The writers of the show were clever in the way they showed us the characters chinks in their armour. The most obvious being Denny's Mad Cow. But they also showed Alan's, Brad's, Clarence's and of cause Jerry's. I think that's why the show was so good. The writer's showed us all sides to the characters giving them depth and substance. In short you learnt to care about them, which is the 'be all and end all' of a shows success. Lets face it if you don't care what happens to characters your not going to tune in week after week. I feel ABC might have something up their sleeves when it comes to the demise of Boston Legal. Denny and Alan on their final balcony scene hinted about a new show featuring the pair of them starting a new Law firm! It's not the first time William Shatner has added a comment at the end of a season on their balcony scene. I'm not sure if William Shatner adlibbed and the editors just left it in. We will just have to wait and see. In conclusion, ABC should seriously re-think the demise of Boston Legal and either bring it back or launch a spin off with Denny and Alan. I hope they do the latter.
  • This is acceptable

Boston Legal itself is just garbage, just like Ally McBeal, The Practice and Boston Public, all created by DEK.

1) There's no real character development (In 2 years we we never get a clue about Alan's past, family, how he met Elleonor and why he became so self-estructive)
    Even so James Spader and his acting is the only thing that makes this show a 5 and not a 0.
    The same thing happened in the practice, all we realy know about them is their political views and who are they sleeping with (same with Boston Public, I barely remember Ally McBeal but that woman who used to sing in EVERY episode had the most annoying voice ever)

2) Many of the cases are just a chance for DEK to preach.

3) Seeing the lawyers fighting for the wrong causes and people, or assuming they are guilty only to realize they were innocent. What ever happened to people doing the right thing?

4) Out of character (Alan bringing a motion to discontect (murder) his client's mother (after he tried to kill her)) then later says he doesn't represent evil people (and earlier that year he intimidated a witness to defent some rich spoiled woman who was guilty)?

5) So many cast changes you don't even care about the characters anymore.

6) The fact that this show is more of a comedy than a drama, and we know for DEK the only tipes or "comedy" are wacky, sexual insinuation and catfight.

After a below-average first season, truncated by even crappier medical dramedy Gray's Anatomy, I have no real interest in watching season two with almost half of the cast replaced or gone. I hpe James Spader finds something worthy of his tallent.
    BTW, good luck to DEK in his new reality show, I though he hated reality, but then he realized there was money in it, and it was "good"...

• More lawyer drama... how can people watch this crap?

5.6
    There was The Practice, Ally McBeal, and so many other lawyer shows that I can't even remember the last time I had fun watching one of them. Boston Legal isn't any different... show after show they get into new situations while abusing the character stereotypes that the show has been able to create so far. Still, it's one of America's most loved television shows (though I can't imagine why) so there must be SOMETHING in it that I'm not seeing. One way or the other, Boston Legal is undeserving of the immense praise it has received so far. It's a good show, but it's not THAT good.
  • When will this show end?

6.6
    I'm really starting to wonder where the appeal has gone. Apart from the acting talents of Shatner, Spader and Bergen there's really nothing that draws me to this show anymore. The storylines are becoming even more ridiculous, there's no real character development happening, the 'Denny keeps doing crazy things' story line is getting really old. They change the cast so often I have no idea who is who. What direction is this show going in? When will something profound and interesting happen? Boston Legal has no where near the amount of originality and excitement that previous shows like Boston Public and The Practice had. It really seems such a shame that talented actors and actresses are being wasted on this show.
  • I gave it a chance, and it wasn't half bad!

7.1
    Still bitter over The Practice's untimely cancellation, I was in no hurry to give this spin off (via James Spader's character) a real shot. Then, one night, I tuned in as someone told me to on the phone. I found myself curious, not fascinated, but curious, 'til the very end of the show. It employs the same kooky-off kilter humor that Ally McBeal did in the late 90's, but there are quite a few sound legal tidbits mixed throughout. I don't really have a favorite character, and I don't feel very attached to the show, but if my other shows are reruns, then I’ll certainly tune in!
  • Good show, but it miss something...

7.2
    Only a couple of weeks ago, I started to watch Boston Legal, and from the start, this show is absolutely brilliant. It seems like William Shattner has save his best performance for Boston Legal. Shattner's character Denny Crane is absolutely brilliant. I don't know why, the older I am getting, the more conservative I am, hence Denny Crane is the man.And the way Denny Crane refers to himself in the third person is a stroke of Genius.

I am sick of looking at twenty somethings who don't have the cool factor like James Spader and William Shattner. If the character Denny Crane was to become president, he is going to get my vote. When I watching Boston Legal a couple of weeks ago, I loved the way he shot the child killer in the leg, it was a pity he didn't shoot the guy in the head. Gees got to give Denny Crane credit, for shooting the homeless guy in the head with a paint ball gun. If anyone should be the face of the NRA it should be Denny Crane.

I mean this in the sincerest way, I love watching the old timers such as James Spader, William Shattner and Candice Bergen performing at their very best.

All things considered, Boston Legal, is a clever mix of, comedy, drama and social commentary. How many shows out there would draw parallels between homeless people and Hurricane Katrina? The conservative Denny Crane and the liberal Alan Shore is nothing more than amazing.
  • The only legal show on television that doesn't have my husband (a lawyer) shouting about how "real lawyers NEVER DO THAT!"

7.4
    Apparently, Boston Legal is one of the only legal shows on TV that can actually be watched by real lawyers without them getting their blood pressure raised by scripts that conveniently ignore the actual practice of law. I learned this by watching lots of legal procedural shows (Law & Order, anyone?) with my husband and witnessing his spluttering during courtroom scenes.
    Aside from my crush on James Spader and my even bigger crush on Rene Auberjonis, William Shatner is PRICELESS as the sliding-into-dementia senior partner. Who knew he could act? Sure, he's just being William Shatner, but Denny Crane is a great character.
    Candace Bergen was a great addition to the cast. She's classy, intelligent, and the character is perfect for her.
    I'd give it a higher rating if it didn't remind me so much of L.A. Law, but I'm assuming most of the people watching it aren't old enough to remember that show.
  • This show used to be intriguing, exciting, funny and interesting but its writing has destroyed what was once good about this show.

When Alan Shore showed up on The Practice his character was unintentionally funny at times, smart, and brought a fresh storyline to the show. This continued when Alan joined Denny Crane on Boston Legal...at least for a little while. After the first season or two this show has slowly turned itself into a mockery of its former self. While the story lines and plots have always been a bit out there and far from the norm, the current story lines are just ridiculous.

The show no longer has an overriding purpose other than to come up with more and more ridiculous character and plots, to find any absurdly ridiculous way for the firm to win trials (which could never realistically occur in the real world), and to find any way to interject real life issues into the show. Now I have my own views on wars, disease, and other relevant topics of our time but this show has gone so far beyond creating stories lines relevant to todays issues. It forces creativity beyond anything interesting and into the absurd.

Unless this show finds a way to get back to the basics there really is no reason to watch it anymore.
  • it has to get better...

7.9
    I'm always fascinated with court scenes and law practice, that's the primary reason why I decided to watch Boston Legal in the first place. Plus,I knewthe creator - David Kelly from Ally McBeal, whichwas one of the TV series I fell in love with. However, even though Boston Legalgives me occassional laughs, itdoesn't really give me the "high" that I have imagined experiencing while watching. I don't know. I guess, Calista Flockhart can much better carry a nearly psychotic character than William Shatner. It annoys me everytime he'll say, "Denny Crane" whichto me, doesn't really mean anything. It was funny at first but I started not to enjoy itwhen majority ofhis scenes would just comprise of the utterance of his character's name.Maybe I should've watched The Practice first to understand the show better. For the record, James Spader and Candice Bergen are undeniably great. But sometimes, their acting prowessjust couldn't make up for dragging storylines. I hated Bernard Ferrion's prolongedappearances in the show. I thought the first two episodesthat hestarredon were good but not the episodes after that.

I like Lori Colson but I still have to find out why she was no longer among the leads in Season 2. I like Tara Wilson and Brad Chase quite a bit too.

Maybe I need towatch all the seasons first before I can give a well-balanced analysis but so far, this is what I feel about the show. Iso hopemy point of view will change very soon... for the better.
  • Dear ABC: Don't screw this up!

7.9
    I really like this show, and I think it has the potential to become the "ER" of the legal shows if ABC would only give it a chance. I'm sick of seeing "BL" being pushed out of its timeslot by "Desperate Housewives" reruns and "Grey's Anatomy". Hopefully the move to Tuesday night will allow this show to thrive. The potential for greatness is certainly there, what with the interesting (and topical!) storylines, clever dialogue, and great performances by William Shatner and James Spader.
  • Average David E. Kelley junk, above-average performances by Bill Shatner and James Spader.

7.9
    It started its life as a spin-off for the unscrupulous "evil" lawyers that Dylan McDermott and Friends had to wage legal battle with on The Practice, but after three-quarters of a season, Boston Legal seems to have already turned into some bizarre self-parody of all the different David E. Kelley legal dramadies rolled into one.

The courtroom sequences are nothing too spectacular, and you get used to watching one or two of the staff lawyers do the rainmaker courtroom dance each episode. If anything, the actual courtroom drama undermines the idea that these lawyers are playing dirty pool when they need to, since they tend to just come across as bland and amoral as any closing arguments from here to LA Law.

When it comes down to it, the great pleasures in Boston Legal are watching Bill Shatner and James Spader get nice and comfortable in the television space, and make their performances as gleefully over the top as they please. Shatner takes the senile old fart archetype and just blows it out to an extreme, creating a character who is asleep half the time, and spends his waking hours mumbling his own name and various breakfast cereal slogans, yet is still somehow able to win his cases. James Spader brings some snakey, smarmy charm to a kind of stock Legal Eagle character.

Even before its Grey's Anatomy-induced hiatus, Boston Legal seemed to be getting more and more tame and friendly, and I have my doubts that will change. Still, the lead cast (recently bolstered by the addition of Candice Bergen) carries the show well enough, and the surreal caricatures that pass for characters at least keep the show oddly entertaining.
  • bring it back !!!!!! I miss this thought provking show

I looked forward to it every week I cannot believe it it gone someone bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!it was one of the only shows that talked about what needed talking about and the cast was perfect .....cant someone bring back this wonderful show...is anyone talking about it comming back maybe on cable or a nother station I thinkthe reviews were good everyone I talk to who saw it loved it where do I sign the petition to bring it back?? and why do I have to write 100 words? who made up that rule its kind of a strange rule all I want to say is bring back Boston Legal
  • I came prepared to hate this show and wound up loving it instead.

As I've said in previous reviews, T.V. doctors and cops are light years away from the real thing. This also extends to lawyers. I've got a cop for an ex-brother-in-law, a doctor for a brother-in-law at present married to my sister who is in fact, a lawyer, so I speak from a position of authority on the subject. I watched my first episode of Boston Legal prepared to come away with a verdict of "Oh, Puleeeeze", but I really liked it instead. It's quirky and funny and dramatic all in the right proportions and appeals to my own decidedly weird sense of humor. And as much as I liked Srar Trek, it's nice to see William Shatner do such an excellent job at bringing such a radically different character to life. I'm sad to see that Boston Legal is in it's final season. I'll miss it when it goes.
  • Not for the conservative minded...

Boston Legal appears to be a repository for old and aging actors; a fact that makes this tawdry show watch-able despite its morally bankrupt plots and story arcs. It seems to imply that a life of philandering and cheating is all ok because, after all, if it feels good it must be right, Right? This is all fine and good in the world of television where the only truth is that there is no truth unless the writers and producers decide that establishing their own truth would be good for ratings. In the real world however, there are young people who will watch this show who lack the ability to discern reality from this imaginary world. These children will go on to make bad, even disastrous choices in their life-time. One could argue that young people watching this show should be monitored by parents who can discuss with them real world consequences of the moral choices these characters have to make. That is very true and as responsible adults we are mandated to do this for our children so they will learn to think critically and not just accept what someone else tells them is truth. Unfortunately this does not happen enough in today's society and the ones who suffer are our children. I am not a saint by anyone's definition, nor am I saying that watching this show is wrong. I watch it and admire the play between quality, seasoned actors whose careers I respect and admire. I even laugh because this show is, despite its pitfalls, very funny. But in the end Boston Legal is, for me, a reminder of what I can easily become if I am not careful. I need to be reminded of that a lot – we all do.

After thought: This review is almost perfect for Grey's Anatomy, an equally funny show with equally high stakes.

MM
  • funny show.

Bosten Legal is a really good show, When i first started watching it i liked it from the first minute, The actors are really well chosen for the show. Ellen is my favourite character on the show, as is denny, denny is really funny but when ever i watch ellen, i keep thinking of him in that movie, the secretery, and that movie is so weird. but the actor plays allen very well, i like how in the show it is serious but funny at the same time, and its really funny watching those old judges, cause they are clueless, but all in all, a very funny show.
  • Really hitting its stride.

Boston Legal gets better with age. When it first debuted (spun off from the more serious The Practice), it had trouble finding its tone for a while. It wasn't sure whether it wanted to be a comedy or a drama. In the first season, there were too many extraneous characters who didn't add much to the show. Beyond James Spader and William Shatner, there wasn't much to it.

However, everything began to turn around when Candice Bergin was added to the cast. She brought the fresh blood the show badly needed, and it also allowed writers to dump the useless cast members (like Lake Bell and Monica Potter).

Now in its third season, Boston Legal has found its groove. It wisely focuses more on the comedy with the occasional dramatic storyline thrown in, and it works.
  • Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the courtroom.

Boston Legal is a spin off of The Practice that focuses on civil law. I never watched The Practice and no one needs to if you want to watch this show.

Attorney Alan Shore, played by James Spader, formerly of Young, Berluti, & Frutt, settles in at a wealthy and powerful firm. His gets some help from his friend and mentor, veteran attorney Denny Crane, played by William Shatner, who is very funny and crazy. Alan Shore quickly makes his mark winning cases that no one wants to take. He often uses less than honest methods. Because of this, he develops a rival with Brad Chase,played by Mark Valley, who has been assigned to the office partly to keep an eye on Denny Crane.

Alan is s not one to be underestimated. He will not let things such as honesty get in the way of winning a case.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8