Boston Legal

ABC (ended 2008)

123home123

Boston Legal Fan Reviews (228)

• Average David E. Kelley junk, above-average performances by Bill Shatner and James Spader.

7.9
    It started its life as a spin-off for the unscrupulous "evil" lawyers that Dylan McDermott and Friends had to wage legal battle with on The Practice, but after three-quarters of a season, Boston Legal seems to have already turned into some bizarre self-parody of all the different David E. Kelley legal dramadies rolled into one.

The courtroom sequences are nothing too spectacular, and you get used to watching one or two of the staff lawyers do the rainmaker courtroom dance each episode. If anything, the actual courtroom drama undermines the idea that these lawyers are playing dirty pool when they need to, since they tend to just come across as bland and amoral as any closing arguments from here to LA Law.

When it comes down to it, the great pleasures in Boston Legal are watching Bill Shatner and James Spader get nice and comfortable in the television space, and make their performances as gleefully over the top as they please. Shatner takes the senile old fart archetype and just blows it out to an extreme, creating a character who is asleep half the time, and spends his waking hours mumbling his own name and various breakfast cereal slogans, yet is still somehow able to win his cases. James Spader brings some snakey, smarmy charm to a kind of stock Legal Eagle character.

Even before its Grey's Anatomy-induced hiatus, Boston Legal seemed to be getting more and more tame and friendly, and I have my doubts that will change. Still, the lead cast (recently bolstered by the addition of Candice Bergen) carries the show well enough, and the surreal caricatures that pass for characters at least keep the show oddly entertaining.
  • Boston Legal is ABC's new hit show that stars many old favorites that are as good as ever. Including Bergen, Shatner, Spader, and Betty White.

This show is one of those sows that starts out great, but also keeps getting better and better. The acting is great (well there is no surprise in that, look at the actors). How could you ever go wrong with Candice Bergen, William Shatner, James Spader, and even a hint of betty White in the recipe for a show. One thing I could say without regrets is that the outcome is a show that tastes great!
  • Spader is awesome

I loved every season of The Practice up until the last one when Spader join the cast. I was like, who is this chump making fun of everone? I refused to watch it till the last episode. Then came the new show. I was like eh, what the hey. WOW was i blown away. Spader plays Shore perfectly. Every interaction with him in it was a delight to watch. This comes from the guy who hated him in The Practice. Everything out of Shores mouth is practically genius. I only wish i had comebacks nearly as creative. I'm not a big fan of Shatner, but he does a damn fine job of "Denny Crane". As for the rest of the show and the cases, its not as good as the other lawyer dramas by any stretch. The cases lack any twists as found in The Practice, Ally, or even Law and Order. Lately with Bergan entering the case, the show has gone downhill. Shore doesn't seem to get as much camera time with more empahsis on cases and preaching. We don't need another Law and Order here with bad cases, we just need Shore antics sturing up the office. And yes i like to watch too (raises right hand).
  • "Ally McPractice", as I like to call it, will most likely die a slow, horrible death thanks to ABC.

It's really sad that this show will probably be doomed not by content or ratings, but its treatment. It's already been moved a couple times, put on hiatus, and is in the process of being overhauled with yet another cast change. I've never seen this before. Shows like Friends have the same cast for 10 years and do great, some shows falter and get moved, but it seems like they want to center this show around Spader and Shatner, and damn anyone else who doesn't work out just right. I am excited to see Julie Bowen join the cast, but I hope she isn't just the next new face to get the axe. I like this show a lot, but my hopes aren\'t high that it will last much longer.
  • Dear ABC: Don't screw this up!

7.9
    I really like this show, and I think it has the potential to become the "ER" of the legal shows if ABC would only give it a chance. I'm sick of seeing "BL" being pushed out of its timeslot by "Desperate Housewives" reruns and "Grey's Anatomy". Hopefully the move to Tuesday night will allow this show to thrive. The potential for greatness is certainly there, what with the interesting (and topical!) storylines, clever dialogue, and great performances by William Shatner and James Spader.
  • There is no way I am goning to end this summary of what ever you want, if I have done this summary for twenty minutes and I still don't get to do 50 worrds as I want. Do you understand how it is to take so much time

Do you understand how it is to take so much time to
  • This practice remake is a legal office set in Boston, full of quirky yet fun and oddy honest characters.

I have to admit that I loved The practice when it began. However I started to not care if I saw it or not towards the end and especially when James Spader came on. I really didn\'t like him on the show and really disliked him.

However my husband really wanted to watch boston Legal and so I watched it with him, I was hooked! I am not sure if it is the new cast or the new setting, but this show works!! I love James Spader in this, I love his character, even though it is the same one from the practice. I love the casting, I have never really liked Candice Bergen or William Shatner before, but again I love them in this show. I think the dialog is witty and fun, it is a great drama, but a funny drams. I am missing this show sense they took it off at the end of the season, I can\'t wait for it to come back!
  • Boston Legal is one of the few shows you can set down and watch and not be bored to tears with ovious outcomes. It's one of the few dramas that actually makes you laugh. The cast works so well together and has great chemistry.

Boston Legal is one of the few shows you can set down and watch and not be bored to tears with ovious outcomes. It's one of the few dramas that actually makes you laugh. The cast works so well together and has great chemistry. One of the best legal shows!
  • A must for those seeking comedy

A great, great show...Shatner and Spader play collegues and friends at a law firm - the only fun people there. They constantly butt heads with the other lawyers. Shatner plays a right-wing rich lawyer while Spader is the left-winger. Great comedy, but it goes one step further into drama with Spader. Spader's character has 'issues' which he attempts to resolve. Mostly comedy, but some drama is added in for a message.
  • Spader is Boston Legal.

I would hardly ever watch The Practice until I saw the last episode with Spader and was mad when it was going off until I heard he was cameing back. Everynight her would give make me laught my head off. I would get into so much trouble for wakeing up my sister. You can't go one day withouy him and his partner in crime doing something or saying stupid. Spader would want anyone person want to become a lawyer.
    I can't wait and see what they have instoried for next season starting in Aug.

• A great show with an excellent acting by james spader and a really outstanding cast. Totally oscar worthy!

Boston Legal is one of the best shows in primetime television today. It has smart comedy, great dramatic situations, an outstanding cast, one of the most interesting plots ive ever seen, and it totally keeps you wanting to see more, which is the main porpouse of this type of tv shows. James Spader as Alan Shore is amazing, Shatner really makes us laugh and cry while he still manages to be "Denny Crane" and the rest of the supportive cast really make this show shine.
    "Im a the practice" fan for life, and I can really say that this show has brought it to life in the best way possible. "Simply amazing"
  • Boston Legal is a legal show starring James Spader and William Shatner.

This show is amazing! James Spader plays the part of Alan Shore perfectly and amazes me again and again. He has new great comebacks every episode that are hilarious. William Shatner plays Denny Crane, a loose cannon, almost as well as Spader plays Shore. He can be counted on to do something silly every episode. The rest of the cast is good enough in their supporting roles to Shatner and Spader to make the show work. Boston Legal also brings in many great guest stars each season that keep the show new. The script is well written and the show is definetly worth watching...
  • Boston Legal is my favorite show currently on television. The storylines are funny, yet compelling.

When it was announced that Boston Legal would be a spinoff of The Practice, I was excited. After all, I thought Spader made the final season of the Practice enjoyable to watch again and I was curious to see what they could do with his character. Well this show quickly became my favorite. His timing with veteran William Shatner is priceless (and who know that Shatner could act?!!)This show is fast moving and always fun to watch. I cannot wait for season two and hope ABC promotes it.
  • Cause for celebration -it's coming back! Summer just got a little cooler with the promise of Denny Crane and Alan Shore on the horizon. Hopefully it returns in time to capture new viewers, tired of the drought we have suffered this Summer.

Cause for celebration - it's coming back!
    Hopefully it returns in time to capture new viewers tired of the drought we have suffered the past few months. Tuesdays are a tough timeslot once September rolls around.

New fans may not be disturbed by the replacement of some of the lead characters since the show's hiatus. Those of us who have been loyal from the premiere will have to maintain a wait-and-see attitude. Hopefully these will be the last changes for a while and the series won't suffer the fate of David Kelley's previous hits that were lost to too many casting gaffes.

Personally, I think that Shatner, Spader and Bergen could keep this thing afloat even if they added the cast of "Coupling" and a talking frog.
    Then again, I am suffering from self-induced Reality TV withdrawal and am willing to cling to anything with a plot!
  • Very funny with great characters

Boston legal. Witty, intelligent everything a good comedy needs to be.

So its no surprise that the show is such a success. However the main cause for the show success has got to be the stand out performance by the cast. Mainly Spader and Shatner. It is clearly this that makes the show what it is.

However i often find the female cast to be lacking in something. Sure, they’ve got brains and beauty but there all seem to be shallow and irritating. call me mad. whatever.

As well as whatever case needs to be defended each week, character development is always a standout aspect of each episode. This is certainly the case of Denny Crane who early in the season looked like he was just stupid. As time has gone on we find that he has been diagnosed with a condition that threatens his very way of life.

This is defiantly one of the better new shows out there at the moment and I hope that it has a long life ahead of it.
  • Brilliant, funny show. Definetly a show worth watching and finally a show that is NOT a reality based stomach churning waste of my time. I thank you for taking us (audience) seriously and giving me a wonderfully devilishly funny show. Great Job!

Brilliant, funny show. Definetly a show worth watching and finally a show that is NOT a reality based stomach churning waste of my time. I thank you for taking us (audience) seriously and giving me a wonderfully devilishly funny show. Great Job guys and please keep up the good work.
  • This is acceptable

Boston Legal itself is just garbage, just like Ally McBeal, The Practice and Boston Public, all created by DEK.

1) There's no real character development (In 2 years we we never get a clue about Alan's past, family, how he met Elleonor and why he became so self-estructive)
    Even so James Spader and his acting is the only thing that makes this show a 5 and not a 0.
    The same thing happened in the practice, all we realy know about them is their political views and who are they sleeping with (same with Boston Public, I barely remember Ally McBeal but that woman who used to sing in EVERY episode had the most annoying voice ever)

2) Many of the cases are just a chance for DEK to preach.

3) Seeing the lawyers fighting for the wrong causes and people, or assuming they are guilty only to realize they were innocent. What ever happened to people doing the right thing?

4) Out of character (Alan bringing a motion to discontect (murder) his client's mother (after he tried to kill her)) then later says he doesn't represent evil people (and earlier that year he intimidated a witness to defent some rich spoiled woman who was guilty)?

5) So many cast changes you don't even care about the characters anymore.

6) The fact that this show is more of a comedy than a drama, and we know for DEK the only tipes or "comedy" are wacky, sexual insinuation and catfight.

After a below-average first season, truncated by even crappier medical dramedy Gray's Anatomy, I have no real interest in watching season two with almost half of the cast replaced or gone. I hpe James Spader finds something worthy of his tallent.
    BTW, good luck to DEK in his new reality show, I though he hated reality, but then he realized there was money in it, and it was "good"...

• This show not only keeps people entertained, but also has the story line that shows different problems that are very real in this country, from the moral dilemma's, relationship problems, the legal issues, as well as major events in our country recently.

I haven't been a fan of TV since Roseanne, Fresh-prince, '90210' have gone off the air. Bringing Boston Legal to television is the best thing since Roseanne. It's witty, entertaining, dramatic, and very very real. I love hearing those 2 words just as much as the character does, Denny Crane.
  • Great Acting and Plots

Fantastic cast. Good plots. Enjoyable watching. Sorry some of the episodes got bumped for the surprising spring replacement, but understand they will be shown this fall. Willam S., and Candace ? make the show swing, as do some of the new players. A great combination that provides for excellent entertainment and something to look forward after Desperate Housewifes. Another surprising hit for ABC.
  • Witty yet corny all at the same time. Welcomed comeback for Shatner.

Love this show! I laugh my arse off everytime I watch it. There is just something funny about Shatner, I love the guy. The characters of Crane and Shore are so similar, but have a great uniqueness that makes each of them special. I rather enjoy the fact that Alan Shore has taken Denny Crane as his mentor, Shatners character seems to be off his rocker.
  • Boston Legal writers should be on top of this...

In the episode: "Death Not Be Proud", It would have been a lot more interesting, if at the end when the picture faded out but you could hear Zeke breathing, if the lawyers' phone rang. We all know Zeke got the needle, but what if the phone call came in right after. The writers to this show need to be thinking of this stuff. The show still drags me in, but the more interesting you guys make it, the more veiwers you'll capture.
  • An awesome show with great storylines and a great cast.

I have a fascination with creative television. In my opinion, there is nothing exciting about rehashed plots, poor acting or reality shows. That's why Boston Legal is so refreshing. The show is quirky and contains tremendous acting from James Spader, Candice Bergen, and William Shatner. The show is fast paced and hilarious to watch. This is the only truly great show on television and it is a tragedy that more people haven't given this show a chance. It is truly a cut above the garbage we now call television.
  • Wonderful show that even an actual trial attorney can sit down and watch!

As an recent graduate of law school, I love this show though the objections and the courtroom demeanor arenot true to real life nor do the attorneys adhere to the ethical rules that real attorneys must adhere to. It is cleverly written and the characters particularly James Spader are wonderful. I am so glad to see that it is not canceled.
  • A drama that will make you laugh at times.

This is a great show with a wonderful cast of characters. Think The Practice meets Picket Fences. All it's missing is that crazy old guy who played the lawyer on Picket Fences and the politically incorect teach from Boston Public.
    James Spader is so slimy and uncouth that you can't help but love him. William Shatner is the funniest person on TV these days (thats what happens when reality tv rules the airwaves). His portrayal of aging semi-senile senior/founding partner Denny Crane is beyond hysterical.
    It's freshman season was cut short because of the success of another show. They didn't show all of the episodes last season so they are tacking them onto this upcoming season. Watch it!
  • Finally, a realy look at the legal world.

Boston Legal is like 'The Shield' of the legal world. Everyone, at one point or another, does something which is unethical and maybe not in confirmation with the law. The show captures that world, removing the goodie boy crap that we see in a lot of other legal shows.

The humor must recieve its own place in the hall of fame. James Spader and Willian Shatner are absolutely amazing. The on-screen chemistry is wonderful, not only between the two but also between James Spader and Rhona Mitra.

I wish they continue the show well beyond season 2 and a good thumbs up to David E. Kelly for yet another superb piece of work.
  • Boston Legal is simply superb, a great spiritual successor to Ally McBeal, but also so much more. James Spader, William Shatner, Candice Bergen and the rest of the cast play fabously, even though I feel that there have been a distinct lack of stability in

Boston Legal is simply superb, a great spiritual successor to Ally McBeal, but also so much more. James Spader, William Shatner, Candice Bergen and the rest of the cast play fabously, even though I feel that there have been a distinct lack of stability in it. Boston Legal is a personal favourite.
  • The legal world may never be looked at the same. This is really good.

I got tuned in by accident, and I have to say, Boston Legal is turning into one of my favorites.
    William Shatner is no capt. Kirk here, but he is wonderful as a tongue in cheek smart alec who often turns out to be right, even when you may want to slap him. His methodology may not be politically correct, but he really seems to do his best by his people/clients.
    James Spader, seems almost reptilian he is so cold and unblinking in his jaded view of the world--but he is so effective, you can't help but hang on his every word and motion. He is a riot-and I love watching him one-up as best he can.
    My very favorite part of this whole show is when the two of them meet on that balcony and while at least one of them is puffing on a cigar--exchange their views of what is happening both too them and around them. It is so wonderful to watch them play off each other--it may turn into one of my CAN'T MISS shows of the week.
    I am also really enjoying Mark Valley in this. He is the straight no nonsense one with the common sense, and he plays off the other two very well.
    Truly high quality acting,and excellent entertainment.
  • My favorite lawyer show since "Ally McBeal".

I’ve missed Ally McBeal. While I didn’t watch the last season of the show that I had grown to love over the years it aired, I still missed it. I missed David E. Kelly’s wit and satire. I really do not know what rock I was under to have missed an entire season of Boston Legal, but I am absolutely elated to have found it.

It seems that most TV shows are either too stupid or too serious. Boston Legal is an incredibly intelligent show that does not take itself too seriously. I absolutely adore Alan Shore’s sarcasm and Denny Cranes narcissistic tendencies. This show is fresh and funny and a must see for anyone, especially those who are is sick of CSI: Kansas, CSI: Alaska, or CSI: British Columbia.
  • Very simply, the best law related tv series ever.

Spader and Shatner are genius together. The characters this show has are amazing. This is one of the few law shows that have been on on TV in the last few years that actually seems real. The characters pull you in and you find yourself rooting for them religiously. By far, the best Law series ever and i hope it continues to be as great as it is.
  • unbelieveable bunch of bogus anti gun dribble. don\'t waste my time with biased political statements, entertain or get off the air

0.4
    i will not be subjected to political garbage again. you get one more chance. unbelieveable bunch of bogus anti gun dribble. don\'t waste my time with biased political statements, entertain or get off the air. This was unbelieveable. who writes this garbage? hasn\'t he ever read anything written with intelligence?
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8