Boston Legal

The Chicken and the Leg

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 09, 2007 on ABC

• I you like shows with a political agenda, watch this episode.

The following was posted by Will-of-the-D. I couldn't agree with you more Will. The only thing I would like to add is this: The responsibility for educating our children about sex and sex related issues ultimately belongs to the parents! Any effort to put the blame on anyone else or any other establishment -- such as a school -- is irresponsible parenting. It is good to have schools teach on this subject but, that does not excuse us from being the final word. It is up to us to teach our children in the way they should go. Shame on Boston Legal.

It is also worthy of mention that if everyone was monogamous STD's could not exist.

"Condoms are more important than Seatbelts? The Most Important invention of the past 2000 years? Hardly. Condoms are able to reduce the risk of STDs, yes, but they are NOT 100% as Alan would like people to believe. Saying that they are is giving the child a false sense of security. And I don't want to hear that they will do it anyway. If she hadn't had sex, she wouldn't be HIV positive. And where did her boyfriend get it from? And if she didn't listen to them when they told her not to have sex, why would she have listened to them about having him wear a condom?

This case was so full of holes and lies that I am surprised that however wrote it had the gaul to actually send it in to air. Plus, I still maintain that both Alan Shore and Denny Crane have an STD already, despite wearing condoms. The writers seriously need to start gathering FACTS when writing for this show and not political opinions. It's unprofessional."
  • HIV, suicide and cock fighting provide are the diverse topics litigated this episode.

Denny and Carl defend a man accused of cock fighting with a side bet that has more to do with Shirley than the case. Jerry and Katie litigate a civil suit against a psychologist who treated a man who committed suicide. Alan, with Lorraine's distractive help, represents a fifteen-year-old girl who sues her school for their policy of only teaching abstinence, which left her defenseless against STD's.
    Typically Boston Legal presents quirky, irreverent and politically incorrect story line with dubious legal theory legal theory and courtroom behavior on the part of both lawyers and jurists. This episode was not an exception.
    Occasionally David Kelly's scripts tackle a topic that is timely and necessary, in this case the teaching of sex education in the public schools. Whichever side you take on this topic the fate of a high school sophomore with HIV should tug at your heart. Of course those who promote "abstinence only" take the position that the whore got what she deserved. Those sentiments aside, the topic was approached in a manner that left the audience wondering which side the court would favor and the dramatic conclusion was far from predictable. It made for good drama.
    The other story lines were equally entertaining. Denny and Carl's jostling over Shirley's affections make for an interesting counterpoint to the Denny/Alan repartee and it is good to see John Larroquette back on the airwaves.
    The third case provided interesting information (if it is accurate) on the subject of talk therapy. I also found Jerry's unrequited attraction affections for Katie sadly touching and a nice way of further rounding out his character.
    Like it or not this series typically tackles politically charged topics. This episode was one of their better attempts at relevance.
    On the down side, the usual sexual hi-jinks were tame by comparison to past episodes and as much as I like Saffron Burrows her pairing with James Spader seems to lack that spark usually associated Alan Shore.
  • Absolutely fantastic

I love this show for a dozen different reasons, and this episode had all of them in it.

Denny betting on a case, and as he wasn't actually the opposing council his reputation of 'UNDEFEATED' remains in tact.

Alan and the lift/elevator was another priceless moment, especially his fascination with her neck. The conversation with Jerry and Alan about his feelings for Katie was kind of nice but also sad. I knew that she was just a nice perosn rather than actually into him, and its nice to see that one of the upcoming episodes sees Jery get some screen time. Jerry's noises are getting absolutely hilarious, although I don't think last weeks headbutting will ever be surpassed.

Alan's mocking of Judge Brown was one of the best I've ever seen, especially with 'Everybody's having sex; the birds, the bees, even educated fleas, and someday you your honour'. It was brilliant.

I love this show, it's worth staying in on a Thursday night to see, and if necessary watch again straight away on Living + 1. I recommend, not only this show, but also this episode.
  • Ridiculous beyond belief

1.5
    This episode is a prime example of a discouraging trend I'm starting to notice with Boston Legal. In the early part of the show they would defend causes on all points of the political spectrum. In recent episodes however the show has relegated itself to promoting a sternly left message. This episode is no exception, as it attempts to indict the school system for a girl's contraction of HIV. Whether you agree with total sex education, mixed education, or abstinence only, the idea that any student who contracts and STD or becomes pregnant can sue their school is preposterous. The episode is made worse by the fact that the opposing council's are becoming increasingly ineffective. There is neither legal case nor cause in this episode, yet Allen, without evidence or legal arguments is able to win by giving a long-winded, politically motivated speech. A character that was once noble and innovative has been replaced with one who is preachy and limited in his abilities.
  • Alan, Alan, Alan

6.8

This case was so full of holes and lies that I am surprised that whoever wrote it had the gaul to actually send it in to air. Plus, I still maintain that both Alan Shore and Denny Crane have an STD already, despite wearing condoms. The writers seriously need to start gathering FACTS when writing for this show and not political opinions. It's unprofessional.
  • Humor. Pathos. Denny Crane!

Ah...this is the show I fell in Tvlove with. Two and a half cases all with social resonance being tried or bargained by a group of lawyers that I'm awfully fond of.

The chicken fighting case was amusing not for the subject matter, as despite Carl Sack's closing remarks I still feel it's illegal and cruel, but for the way the case was gone about. You need to take a topical subject like that and dress it up a bit or it's just going to be an exercise in heavy drama. Carl and Denny played well off each other. I'd love to see a Facial Expression face off between those two! ...and let's not forget the Nun Translator. Terrific!

The Alan case was tremendously well done. His antics over his Lorraine infatuation kept mostly out of the courtroom, the case sailed smooth and well to a conclusion that made wonderful sense. Both sides were argued well in this episode and that makes for good television.

The half case is the bargaining of Katie and Jerry. The case gave Jerry a chance to show the new young attorney that he may be made of stronger stuff. It allowed him to try and impress her in his attempt to win her heart. Okay...perhaps a few episodes down the line I'd appreciate that storyline a little more, but I think it was done well.

Missing from the episode was Clarence (who I did NOT miss at all.) I'm also not sure that Shirley made an appearance, but that should be rectified.

My closing statement: Funny and thought provoking with well fought arguments and a balcony scene with chiclets. It doesn't get much better than that folks.
  • Carl Sack and Denny bet on the outcome of a case-that they are trying. Alan takes on "Abstinence Only" policies and continues to swoon over Lorraine, Jerry starts crushing on the new girl and displays his prowess in negotiations.

A great episode, it didn't advance any storylines, but it was a high quality episode.

Alan stole the show once again, at least in my opinion. His scathing attack on a horrible policy provided good social commentary in the form of solid entertainment. Even though this is a fictional show, real life issues are presented, and it makes you think about them. He showed genuine concern and compassion for his client, all the while delivering a blistering argument against the senseless and dangerous Abstinence Only Policies. Whatever your politics are, it made you think. His little jabs against the "virgin judge" added some brevity to the situation without turning it into satire.

The interactions between Denny and Carl were hysterical. The idea the the law firms new "straight man" would bet on the outcome of his own trial to show up his rival was priceless. I thought that Carl put on an OK case, but his closing sealed it. He even mentioned Denny in it, adding insult to injury. The part with the nun who was the translator and the double entendre was a riot.

Jerry was brilliant in the negotiations and showed his skill as a lawyer. He really likes the new lawyer and you really are pulling for him to overcome his shyness and get the hook up. His character is the right mix of funny and serious, and adds greatly to the show.

Boston Legal does it again!
  • Alan's closing on the unspeakable stupidity of a school system purposesly withholding the fact that the use of a condom can save a human being from a most likely and inevitable death due to a sexually tranmitted disease, is inhuman.

This six minute closing statements of both the opposing council and Alan's poigniant and absolutely spot on articulation of how the moral majority and their out-of-touch, holier-than-though "abstenance only" policies are not only so far off the mark, but so squarely not based on anything historical or scientifically proven (that talking to kids about sex and sex ed, makes it more likely that they will engage in such activities) that it's obsurd! THIS IS WHY I WATCH THIS SHOW. Seriously, these are the words I wish I had thought up. David Chase, you are a genious. The character of Alan is someone so flawed and complex and multi-faceted and brilliantly capable of articulating an hidden, perfectly logical and brilliantly accurate perspective on a particular issue in each case puts to words viague ideas that i have floating in my head. This episode most perfectly illustrates what it is about the writing of this show that stops me in my tracks over and over with it's shear genious.
  • Light-hearted, but fun in a Boston Legal kind of way.

Not a whole lot happened in this episode. In fact, if you were to skip it, you wouldn't be lost at all. That doesn't mean it was a waste, though. Some people seem to think something major has to happen in every episode, but I was happy with this one the way it was. I think it was fun and showed that Denny and Carl Sack are still more playful towards each other than they are at each other's throats. I liked the character development in this episode and thought it was a nice change of pace. Just another fine example of why this is one of my favorite shows.