Boston Legal

The Nutcrackers

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 05, 2006 on ABC

• Boston Legal returns to the little things that make this show unique, and this was one of the best episodes of this season.

I have had a lot of concerns about this season. Quite a few episodes, especially ones featuring Jeffrey Coho have left a bad taste in my mouth. Last season, Boston Legal was my favorite show; this season, it fell several spots.

But, Nutcrackers was a return to a lot of what I loved about Boston Legal. We got some unique cases like a woman wanting to sue God because her husband was killed by lightning, and Alan and Shirley betting on the results of a custody case featuring twin, teenage white supremist singers. The stakes? The loser has to show up in a Playboy bunny outfit for the Christmas party to boost morale.

This episode also continued one of the more compelling plot threads of the season: Claire's friendship with a shy man who feels much more comfortable pretending to be a woman. I loved the tension in this episode between Denny and Alan, and it was fun to see Jeffrey and Brad have to work together. They actually made a great team when they weren't trying to kill each other. This episode also cut down a lot of the distractions from this season. Delta Burke's role was much more subdued, and it was nice to see Jerry Epstein in more of a supporting role again. So far, my two favorite episodes this season were the Halloween and Christmas episode. Hopefully, we will get a few more good episodes before Easter.