Boston Legal

The Nutcrackers

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 05, 2006 on ABC

• Some great character cases that tackle big issues with a fun bent equal a good holiday episode.

I admit I was bothered at the whole "suing God" thing as Kelly did that plot years back on Ally McBeal. However, having them go after the phone company was unexpected. I liked Denise's reaction to Brad and Jeffrey, especially when they kept stepping on each other making their case to the cell phone lawyers. That led to another fun fight between them and the bit of them making up at the party was a nice light touch.

I enjoyed Alan's case as he once again makes good points about how, their morality and beliefs aside, you can't really split children from otherwise good parents. My favorite part was another "breaking the fourth wall" comment when Alan tells Shirley "We haven't even gotten to the part with my politically biased but compelling closing." The bet added to the silliness but then it does seem to be turning into a tradition for the show so so be it.

The anexoria case was interesting too. I laughed at Denny's "Exactly!" statement when told homosexuality was once classified as a mental illness, showing again the unique way his mind worked. The way Alan tried to help him while Denny argued he could still win was also intriguing. I really like the deep way their friendship goes. I'm also glad they kept Jerry's cameo to just a short bit with that funny painting of "Mona Allan." A nice surprise was the return of Lawrence as Clare tries to help him get over his shyness problems and work in the office. I look forward to how he goes, just as I look forward to what the new year has in store for a series regaining its stride.