Boston Legal

The Verdict

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 24, 2006 on ABC

• Very disappointing episode. Plot elements stolen right from the last season of The Practice, and Alan reduced to a crybaby. BL used to be one of my favorite shows, but it is quickly dropping down the list.

4.5
    WHAT HAPPENED?? Boston Legal's first two seasons were some of the most incredible shows I had ever seen on television. The first episode this season felt a little off, but I was willing to keep going. By the second episode, they added Jeffery Coho and Claire I-Can't-Even-Be-Bothered-To-Remember-Her-Last-Name to the show, two characters who seemed to add nothing to BL's once great ensemble cast, and just took screen time from the much more compelling characters, especially Paul and Brad, who have been lucky to get a line in per episode lately. This downward spiral has continued, and really peaked with The Verdict.

David E. Kelly and company recycled the "create reasonable doubt by showing the client's mother was in love with him and might be the murderer instead." This would have been bad enough on it's own, but the worse crime is that in this episode, Alan is presented as being a complete crybaby. Instead of seeing Alan as a nasty lawyer willing to do anything to win a case, we get to see him as a pathetic loser. Alan is supposed to be a loveable shark, not someone that the viewer feels pity towards.

The only redeeming quality of this episode was the opening and closing with Denny and Alan. Granted, Denny and Alan's scenes together are always the best part of the show, but they should not be the only good thing about an entire episode. Boston Legal used to be my absolute favorite show on television, but this season is is not even my favorite show on Tuesday nights. I miss my favorite show, and I hope Kelly figures out what happened to it before he loses this viewer.