Boston Public

FOX (ended 2004)

Boston Public Fan Reviews (32)

• Life as a teacher is not always easy, especially not if you teach at Boston Public. This show follows the lives of the teachers at one of Boston's underperforming high schools. Personal relationships and current issues are focused on.

As an educator, I was immediately interested in Boston Public. So many series, whether they were dramas or comedies, focus on the students. This was a show that finally shows the teacher's side of education.

Boston Public battles current issues, both personal and nation-wide. These include homosexuality, teen pregnancy, the recent terror threats and ethical teacher conduct. This makes Boston Public a show which gives people something to think about. What would I have done in this situation?

I have only one gripe about this show: it's hideously unrealistic at times. One episode features a student cheating tests by hiding a 'little person' genius in his locker. That is never going to happen. However, most issues tackled are real-life issues. Boston Public can therefore not only be used as a great show to watch, but also as a model for high schools everywhere and indeed society. The possibilities for discussion in social studies classes are nearly endless.