Boy Meets World

Breaking Up is Really, Really Hard to Do

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Jan 27, 1995 on ABC

• cory's girlfriend wendy is planning a REALLY long term relationship for the 2 of them

cory has a clingy girlfriend wendy who wont leave him alone. she loves him a whole lot, and has plans to get married, and have 3 kids. she gives him socks (argyle - i dont get it haha) but when cory is about to break up with her, she is in his kitchen with amy cooking dinner, and when he actually gives her a note at school the next day about breaking up, she cries and he takes her back.
  • I liked it!

Cory and Wendy become a couple. Eric is forbidden to date. Jason takes him to go get a haircut. The barber is a pretty woman. Wendy is planning out every single detail of their lives together. Cory dreams of when they are old and it scares him. Cory wants to break up. Shawn thinks that you have to date a lot of girls. This was a good episode! I kind have liked Wendy. I felt sorry for her when they broke up. Eric is so funny! I thought that Shawn was wrong and that relationships can be great too! I give this episode a 9.0 out of 10!
  • Cory just wants a date for a couples only party. Wendy wants a life-long commitment.

Cory just wants a date for a couples only party, so he asks Wendy. Wendy asks if this means he wants to be a couple with her. Cory agrees, thinking it's no big deal, but it is a very big deal for Wendy. She is, as Amy says, "a little girl playing house." At first Cory isn't sure about Wendy's clingy ways, but accepts it as part of being in a relationship. When she shows up at his house and makes dinner, he seems to think she went too far, yet he enjoys the attention. The dream sequence when Cory is imagining what it will be like when he and Wendy have been married for 90 years is hilarious. Cory is sitting in Chubbie's (or whatever it will be in 90 years) taking all the freebies he can get, and Shawn is still a ladies man. In the end Cory is beginning to really like being boyfriend and girlfriend, but when he confesses his original intentions to Wendy she breaks it off, because their relationship was based on a lie. Cory has his first broken heart.
  • One of the best episodes, early in the series; An Affair to Forget kicked the show into high gear.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. It's really too bad they didn't keep Wendy around; but I guess the show already had Topanga. The Cory-Wendy storyline is funny and genuine. It's a very real representation of the ups and downs of a first crush. The dream sequence with Cory and Wendy as an old married couple is spot-on and hilarious. I'm not sure where he got it from; but Ben Savage played the role of a wise-cracking old kleptomaniac to perfection. An Affair to Forget is truly a series classic and it's not to be missed.