TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Boy Meets World Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

Cory and Lauren

  • Avatar of HilljaFuFu

    HilljaFuFu

    [1]Dec 3, 2006
    • member since: 09/05/06
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 2,082

    Does anyone else ever wonder what it would've been like if Cory had one way or another ended up with Lauren? Linda Cardellini is a great actress and judging by what she did on Freaks and Geeks, I'd say she could've been a great girl for Cory, I know everyone loves Topanga but I would've liked to have seen Cory with Lauren for longer then he did.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fullhouse346

    fullhouse346

    [2]Dec 3, 2006
    • member since: 07/29/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 939
    Being a C&T fan, I naturally would have been angry at Cory if he went out with Lauren.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seashellpoet

    seashellpoet

    [3]Dec 3, 2006
    • member since: 09/25/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 285
    It could have been interesting if Cory had gone out with her a few times. Maybe we would have learned something new about Cory or seen a different side of him. I have nothing against Topanga but I just think it would have been a little more interesting to see Cory go out with someone new for more than one episode, then eventually have C&T get back together. As it was, they were broken up for 5 eps and other than Cory turning to alcohol in one show, we really didn't learn anything new about either one of them during the time they were apart.
    Edited on 12/03/2006 8:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fullhouse346

    fullhouse346

    [4]Dec 3, 2006
    • member since: 07/29/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 939
    I'm not saying I don't wish we didn't find a different side of Cory or Topanga during that time they were apart, I'm just saying I would have been upset with Cory if he chose to enter a serious relationship with Lauren. She just didn't seem like his type, but then again, maybe it's just 'cause I don't want to see her with Cory because I want to see Topanga with Cory.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Cybrus-

    -Cybrus-

    [5]Dec 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,322
    It would have been great if for no other reason that we would finally have had to see Topanga chase Cory for once.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HilljaFuFu

    HilljaFuFu

    [6]Dec 4, 2006
    • member since: 09/05/06
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 2,082
    Yea, alone Topanga never showed any kind of a character (she did a little bit in the college years) and it would've been  cool to see her without Cory and maybe some of her feelings about him dating Lauren.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SlickRick77

    SlickRick77

    [7]Dec 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 651
    -Cybrus- wrote:
    It would have been great if for no other reason that we would finally have had to see Topanga chase Cory for once.


    Dont even get me started on this.... lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seashellpoet

    seashellpoet

    [8]Dec 4, 2006
    • member since: 09/25/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 285
    SlickRick77 wrote:
    -Cybrus- wrote:
    It would have been great if for no other reason that we would finally have had to see Topanga chase Cory for once.


    Dont even get me started on this.... lol


    Yea, I agree with you both!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [9]Dec 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    I love Tippy, I do not like Lauren. Besdies which it was made appraently obviosu that these two (Cory and Tippy) were forever and would end up tgoether no matter what they went through. It would have felt a little to forced to me if they ahd kept Lauren with Cory any longer then were, though they actually weren't ever really together.
    Edited on 12/04/2006 10:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IndianaMom

    IndianaMom

    [10]Dec 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 54
    • rank: Prison Warden
    • posts: 2,856
    By this point in the show Cory and Tippy, er, I mean Pangers , had come too far for the viewer to believe that Cory could care so much about another girl. I think it was handled well. They each had a chance to see what it was like to be with somebody else, and they cemented their love for each other.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mattevt

    Mattevt

    [11]Dec 10, 2006
    • member since: 08/27/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 1,256
    -Cybrus- wrote:
    It would have been great if for no other reason that we would finally have had to see Topanga chase Cory for once.
    Yeah a few episodes of this situation would have been good. However, Hilljafufu asks what it would be like if Cory "ended up" with Lauren...Honestly, that would probably spell the end of the series.
    Edited on 12/10/2006 6:04pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seashellpoet

    seashellpoet

    [12]Dec 10, 2006
    • member since: 09/25/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 285
    Mattevt wrote:
    -Cybrus- wrote:
    It would have been great if for no other reason that we would finally have had to see Topanga chase Cory for once.


    Yeah a few episodes of this situation would have been good. However, Hilljafufu asks what it would be like if Cory "ended up" with Lauren...Honestly, the would probably spell the end of the series.
    If it were a choice between Cory "ending up" with Topanga or Lauren, obviously I pick Topanga. I just think it would have been interesting to see Cory with someone else and also to see Topanga dealing with that for a few eps before they got back together. I do agree with Mattevt, though. If the writers had tried to split C&T permanently, most fans would have dropped the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fullhouse346

    fullhouse346

    [13]Dec 10, 2006
    • member since: 07/29/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 939
    Right. Cory and Topanga were obviously the perfect couple, together forever, right from the get-go. It would have been OK to see Cory have a relationship with Lauren for a few eps, but nothing too serious. But it is true what a lot of you said about Cory always chasing Topanga and never vice versa.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HilljaFuFu

    HilljaFuFu

    [14]Dec 11, 2006
    • member since: 09/05/06
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 2,082

    I guess I agree that it had to be Topanga, but it's just because she was there from the beginning, if roles were reversed and it was Lauren there from the beginning then she'd be the one everyone would hope for. To me, that's the problem with the people who write for girl characters, there is really no dynamic in my opinion that separates any of them. I know i'm going to get about 1500 your wrongs for saying that, but it's true. The only thing Topanga had on Lauren was history, and when Shawn and Cory are doing the jellybeans in a cup thing he basically says exactly that.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seashellpoet

    seashellpoet

    [15]Dec 11, 2006
    • member since: 09/25/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 285
    HilljaFuFu wrote:

    I guess I agree that it had to be Topanga, but it's just because she was there from the beginning, if roles were reversed and it was Lauren there from the beginning then she'd be the one everyone would hope for. To me, that's the problem with the people who write for girl characters, there is really no dynamic in my opinion that separates any of them. I know i'm going to get about 1500 your wrongs for saying that, but it's true. The only thing Topanga had on Lauren was history, and when Shawn and Cory are doing the jellybeans in a cup thing he basically says exactly that.



    What you're saying is interesting and I can't say that I totally disagree. Part of the reason I eventually wanted C&T to get back together was because they were set up to be "the couple" from early on in the show. There were actually a lot of things about Topanga's character that irritated me, and as the show went on I think the writers missed some opportunities to make both the character and the relationship more complicated. But even with all that, I was rooting for those two because that was the arc that the writers had set up - I mean it's a sitcom after all, and sitcoms follow a certain format. Sometimes it's fun to watch tv shows that successfully break the mold, or do something really unexpected, but for the most part people want the formula because the formula is generally satisfying.

    So, even though I see your point about the jellybean test (that longevity is the only clear advantage that Topanga had over Lauren) I think the writers knew that C&T were a central element of the show by S5 and they chose not to rock the boat. You could make the same point about Cory and Shawn. I mean there is no reason why one of them couldn't have had another best friend through the course of high school, but they didn't. I mean honestly, people do sometimes grow apart or develop other interests - so having their friendship shift would have been perfectly logical. But that would have killed a really satisfying part of the world that they created within the show, so the writers never really messed with it too much. Same with Cory and Topanga.

    OK, that was probably a bit too much rambling but whatever. I usually don't dwell on the what ifs too much.... whenever I get to thinking too much about things the writers should have done - I just turn to fan fiction
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mattevt

    Mattevt

    [16]Dec 11, 2006
    • member since: 08/27/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 1,256
    If Cory and Shawn had ended up not being Cory and Shawn...I would have stopped watching television forever. Same with Cory and Topanga. Although, if Cory went and did his thing with Lauren, Wendy or T.K. or whoever the writers wanted, as long as it was Cory and Topanga in the end, that would have been fine.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HilljaFuFu

    HilljaFuFu

    [17]Dec 11, 2006
    • member since: 09/05/06
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 2,082
    Seashellpoet, I really enjoyed that response, it was very detailed lol.



    And Mattevt I get what you mean, but if you knew exactly what was going to happen and wanted nothing but Cory and Shawn and Cory and Topanga together, and without either you would've stopped watching tv...what's the point? To me it seems illogical and boring to hope that the writers stick to 100% predictability, I guess thats just me though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mattevt

    Mattevt

    [18]Dec 12, 2006
    • member since: 08/27/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 1,256
    I don't believe it's illogical for a show such as BMW. By the time the show reached the 5th season (the time of the Cory-Lauren deal) it was pretty much expected. The series had been hinting at it the whole way. (that C + T would be together forever bla bla bla) It's not a show like CSI or Nip Tuck or something that relies on plot twists and turns and surprises. The writers knew their target audience and they reached them. I (along with many people on these boards I know) just wanted to see one instance of Topanga chasing Cory.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OhioChic

    OhioChic

    [19]Dec 12, 2006
    • member since: 11/07/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,320
    I think Cory and Lauren may have had potential, but Cory and Topanga had known/loved each other for a long time, and I don't think that little fling with Lauren at all compares to the years with Topanga.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mattevt

    Mattevt

    [20]Dec 12, 2006
    • member since: 08/27/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 1,256
    If I might add...

    This (Cory and Lauren situation) would not have been a good time for Topanga to have chased Cory, because it was Cory who messed up. I think what people, who have voiced this opinion, wanted was for Cory to not be the one who makes the mistakes all the time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.