Boy Meets World Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

Cory + Topanga Getting Married

YoungLink89

[1]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 18

Now let me start off by saying that I was an ORIGINAL viewer to this series. I watched it on T.G.I.F. every Friday night as it aired, from day one. I was
    also pretty young back then. I believe I was 12 years old during season 7. I was so happy that C/T got married because they had been together for the entire show, and I thought the love story was good (not so cute anymore now that I'm older).

Im Not Bashing Boy Meets World at all I Love It! This Is Just My Opinion

Anyway, now that I look back and re-watch the episodes from the later seasons (6+7), I have to wonder WHY C/T were so stupid? Rather why were the writers so stupid as to write these two getting married at age 19ish, no JOBS, and no place to live??? In the episode, "The honeymoon is over", C/T come back and just assume that they will live in the apartment. Then when they learn that they have been kicked out, they try to live in Cory's old dorm room (a violation of dorm rules), and then when that fails, they try to go to mommy and daddy, but why did NO one tell them that before that got married that they would at least need jobs/security? After all, if these two are mature enough to get married, surely they would have thought that through. And if they didn't....well someone, their parents maybe....should have cared enough to tell them to wait a few more years.

Which brings me to my main point that it was dumb to have these get married so young. I mean I guess it was just to appease the viewers with some pay off, but it was still so Dumb. Why not really be mature and wait until after college? Poor little Topanga was scared that HER marriage would fail just because her parents' did. Give me a break. I can rant a little more about people on this show basing THEIR relationships off others, (Shawn, Angela, and Topanga), and not thinking that said relationships could or would ever measure up, but that's for another time.

Look, I know it's just TV, but now that I am older (20), I don't get why people in 2000 would rush into marriage. Afterall, we don't die at 50 anymore, so it's not like there was any real reason to hurry up, (except that Cory wanted sex, Give me a break).

Besides, I never realized how much of a Nag Topanga truly was. And not even just the later seasons, but in the early ones too. She was always whining about something Cory was doing wrong, and God forbid he had one night of fun with the guys, he was a "cheater".

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

IndianaMom

[2]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 54

I couldn't agree with you more about C&T's stupdity when they didn't get jobs ore a place to live before they got married. I've ranted about that on here before. As for them getting married at 19, I'm OK with that because it's a TV show. They were committed to each other and, for the most part, they were ready for marriage.

I remember Topanga's reaction differently in "You're Married, You're Dead," the episode where Cory goes out with the guys. As I recall she was very understanding about it. She just wanted him to make up his mind about wearing the engagement ring that he said he wanted.

Mattevt

[3]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 41
    I think C+T's struggle was a good lesson, however silly it may have been. 2 of my buddies got married when they were 20 and 21. As far as young people getting married: I think it's more a maturity thing than an age thing. Some people are more ready than others.

(I'm an original viewer too [I was 8 when the show premiered], and I too am less intrigued by their relationship, now that I'm older.)

biggestlostfan

[4]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 11
    it true what youre saying im ok with people getting married young, as long as its for the right reasons, and they know what they are getting into. for C&T, they always seemed to be responsible with their relationship, and topanga mostly, so it was very odd that she didnt think of someplace to live... or that they were college students, so they would know that money would be tight

but it is a tv show, and now that we are older its easier to see the logic instead of "C&T are so cute together, they should get married" attitude we had in the 90s when we watched it

rowdypiper232

[5]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Also an original viewer (4th grade, age 9 catholic school). At the time, it was the right direction for the show. They were in love and Cory always felt/knew they could accomplish anything as long as they were together. I am getting married in 3 weeks and my wife and I lived through this show and enjoy it almost more now since we can talk about what was going on in our lives as we watched Cory and Topanga grow. The true testament was when Cory went to Disney, a 13- year old traveling across the country to express feelings. I wish I could go back in time and watch it with my wife.