Boy Meets World Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

Does it get better?

Mlebaron

[1]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 11

Hopefully this thread isn't redundant.

Fondly (or so I thought) remembering BMW from its original airing, I purchased the first three seasons for my fiance. As we've watched them, I've noticed that we've been shaking our heads and giving each other WTF looks more than we've been laughing. The first season was cute and cheesy. The second season had some weird guest stars and strange situations. The third season has been pretty terrible. We just watched the Happy Days 50s flashback episode "I was a Teenage Spy" and apart from the presence of Tom Bosley, Pat Morita and Anson Williams, the episode was downright bad.

I know that a lot of changes happen over the next 4 seasons and a lot of new characters and situations are introduced. I don't want to knock on the show too hard because I remember enjoying it when I saw it during the original airing. I figured this would be the best place to get an opinion.

Does the show get better during seasons 4-7?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dopey716

[2]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 1
    It does get better. IMO seasons 4 and 5 are the best seasons of the show. However, if you did not like the first 3 seasons, chances are you will not care too much for the next 4, especially seasons 6 and 7 as some of the situations get just plain weird.

Mlebaron

[3]Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for your honest opinion. I remember the later seasons being more dramatic because of all of the issues facing Cory and Topanga, and I remember Matthew Lawrence bringing something new to the show as well.

I think the first season was good, but didn't bring anything new to sitcom territory. I think seasons 2 and 3 actually handle some of the dramatic moments pretty well, but they fall flat because they're entirely out of sync with the tone set by the rest of the show.

I hope the later seasons get DVD releases because I want to get them for my wife and I want to see for myself if it gets better.

IndianaMom

[4]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 54
    IMO seasons 4 and 5 were the best. Disney/Buena Vista did a diservice to the fans with the season 3 release. Though the episodes were good, the extras were pretty bad.

biggestlostfan

[5]Sep 28, 2008
    i think they get better, season 4 and 5 were really good. ive always liked the later years more

good news, the other season will be coming out! not sure when though

Mattevt

[6]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 41
    If you really didn't like 1-3, it's possible that you may not like the remaining seasons. I understand what your saying, and I too am starting to realize that BMW isn't for everyone.

(Don't worry, I still love it.)

Mlebaron

[7]Sep 29, 2008
    I think maybe it has to do with the target audience for the show. It's clearly a family show and I think it was probably aiming for children the age of the main characters (and more importantly, their parents). After all, it was a staple of TGIF on ABC. Perhaps that's another reason the early episodes don't resonate as well 10-15 years later.

p4poetic

[8]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 10
    You may like the show better during the later seasons, when the characters are older.

dool_girl

[9]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 27
    While i love the entire show, im way more into the later seasons when they are older. I love it when they are a bit older!

Mattevt

[10]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 41
    I'd like to revisit this thread for a second.

I've slowly realized that Boy Meets World wasn't really a well made show. Characters and storylines were sometimes too silly and continuity was terrible -- but that's what I love about it. I'm drawn to the events through the characters, despite the unrealistic storyline. Boy Meets World is not the best show ever made but it will always be my favorite.

efwa4life

[11]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    Boy Meets World is much better at the end of the series than the beginning. The continuity errors I think are the best part of the show, like when Lindsey Ridgeway came on as Morgan and said she had the longest timeout ever.

RTTV989

[12]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 21
    Yeah, I agree with everybody else the later season are the best.

acsgrlie

[13]Jan 1, 2011
    • level: 8
    My favorite seasons are the middle ones- 3,4,5 and 5. Right before they all went to college and Eric became too crazy. Eric, Shawn, and Cory together are comedy gold!

alirk

[14]Jan 26, 2011
    • level: 22

I will agree with everyone on here...I prefer the later seasons!

talielle

[15]Mar 12, 2011
    • level: 4

Yes! Like others have stated... it gets much better! I loved seasons 4 & 5 i the best i think.. Just keep watching

Just_Jos

[16]Jul 16, 2011

IMO, the later seasons (season 5 onward) were pretty horrible. If "Boy Meets World" ended after its 4th season (the BEST season in my opinion), the show would've been of my Top 5 favorite sitcoms of all time. Most of all as the show continued, I was REALLY annoyed about how the writers massacred the Shawn Hunter character, making him so melodramatic. Well, the show as a whole became very melodramatic in the later seasons anyway. That is why I have no interested in buying the show's DVDs.