Boy Meets World Forums

ABC (ended 2000)

Season 7 DVD Brave New World Edit..

efwa4life

[1]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 5

I was watching the finale episode on the DVD set, and noticed they cut out the line in the beginning that should go like this:

SHAWN: What about Topanga?

CORY: I don't care about...Why does everybody always take her side?

(This is what was cut)

ERIC: Boobies.

And Cory's reaction to Eric's line was also cut.

Anybody else notice this, or know why they would cut this out of the dvd? If it was ok to air in 2000, I'm pretty sure it's ok to be on DVD in 2011!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Noteldnep

[2]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 16
    I haven't watched this episode on my Season 7 DVD set yet, but I agree with what you are saying if it is true. Uptight people are likely the reason why it was cut out.

OhioChic

[3]Jan 11, 2012
    ABC cuts out a lot of random lines. I doubt it was because the editor was uptight, I'm pretty sure Disney even aired the "Boobies" line but it might have been ABC I saw it on the first time I don't know.

mattyg1306

[4]Nov 12, 2012

efwa4life wrote:

I was watching the finale episode on the DVD set, and noticed they cut out the line in the beginning that should go like this:

SHAWN: What about Topanga?

CORY: I don't care about...Why does everybody always take her side?

(This is what was cut)

ERIC: Boobies.

And Cory's reaction to Eric's line was also cut.

Anybody else notice this, or know why they would cut this out of the dvd? If it was ok to air in 2000, I'm pretty sure it's ok to be on DVD in 2011!

I realize this comment is now a year old, but figured its never too late to give a definitive answer to an important question. The reason the first part of the series finale is changed is because Lionsgate wanted to present the farewell episode as close to original broadcast as possible. Many don't realize, but there are two specific edits of the final episode...the ABC broadcast...shown on TV only twice (original May 5, 2000 telecast, and again when the show aired for the final time on ABC in September 2000)..., and the syndicated version. While, for most TV shows (including all other episodes of "Boy Meets World") the syndicated version is generally just a slightly abridged version of the original broadcast version...just a few short clips are actually MISSING. But for "A Brave New World", there is actually a "new" clip that wasn't in the original broadcast...where "Eric" says 'boobies!', as you mentioned.

When ABC cut the original broadcast version in 2000, they wanted to pack in as many clips as possible, to look back "nostalgically" on the shows 7 year run. In doing so, they decided to include some first season clips of Cory and Topanga to show why "everyone always takes Topanga's side". The reason Eric's line was cut was because it wouldn't have really made sense for them to cut to the flashbacks and then come back to him saying "Boobies". For the syndicated version, they needed to cut the flashbacks for time anyway, so it was easy to just put Eric's line back in.

Being a "TV Purist", I prefer the original broadcast version to the syndicated version, but wish there was a way to have included all the footage in both versions.

IndianaMom

[5]Jan 2, 2013
    • level: 54
    Thanks, Matty. That makes more sense than what I think most of us assumed--that Disney didn't want to air the word boobies.