Boy Meets World

Heartbreak Cory

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Feb 06, 1998 on ABC

• You either simply adore this episode, or loathe it completely...not much of an in-between

Ah, the infamous Lauren plotline, beginning with "Heartbreak Cory" and sort-of-but-not-quite culminating in "Torn Between Two Lovers(And Feelin' Like a Fool)" two episodes later (really I believe that the Lauren 'issue' as some people saw it, was finally resolved in "The Psychotic Episode" nearly one season later). These three episodes featured a younger, pre-Freaks and Geeks and ER fame, and brunette Linda Cardellini as the down-to-earth girl working at a ski chalet, who befriended Cory after he injured his ankle, and who dared come between the destined Cory and Topanga.

Now, many people despise Lauren, understandably so, seeing as we've been rooting for Cory and Topanga since the show's pilot...but really, I found Lauren to be a very well-written character, and in all honesty, though I love Topanga, I wouldn't have minded seeing a longer relationship forming between Cory and Lauren. It's a shame that she only appeared in three episodes (and in one she was only a figment of Cory's imagination...)

This episode marked an important point in the lives of all of the main characters of the show, and from this episode on, Cory in particular, showed a lot of character development in terms of discovering who he truly is, and whom he truly loves.

Definitely one of my top five episodes.