Boy Meets World

Poetic License: An Ode to Holden Caulfield

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Nov 20, 1998 on ABC

• perfect

What I liked: Seeing the poetry side of Shawn, something we do not see often, Rachel twirling her hair, Eric clipping his pen and Jack biting the apple, and Eric getting upset that Rachel is twirling her hair, Rachel and 'the troll' becoming friends, Eric doing horribly on his exams, amongst other things.

Good episode. The main plot was good for plot development, and the sub plot was good for some comic relief. Overall grade is definitely going to be an A+, I think is more than fair.
  • Bottom line: Poetic Shawn + Unbearable Cory = a horrible experience. Luckily, we're given an Eric-centered "B" plot, to pull us out of the mire. Read on..

First of all, "Poet Shawn" does not appeal to me at all. It's such a drastic change for his character and it seems very forced. Yes, Rider Strong is a poet, but actors are supposed to fit the characters. The writers shouldn't be forcing Rider's persona on Shawn's character.

I hate that they tried to justify the change, by making it appear that Shawn has always been poetic. Shawn: I've been doing it since I can remember.

Wrong! The writers tried to pull one over on us, but I have a good memory. How could one forget this exchange from season 3's "New Friends and Old":

Shawn: I hate poetry!
    Cory: Shawn, if our friend who's going to let us live likes poetry, then we like poetry!
    Shawn: Oh, poetry! I thought you said...liver.

It's not the fact that they added poetry to Shawn's repertoire that I dislike. It's the fact that new Shawn almost completely replaces old Shawn. If we were to bring Eric down to earth the slightest bit, and then give that bit of devil may care goofiness to Shawn, we'd be golden. Alas, it was not to be. The other thing that bothers me about this episode is that Cory is turning into quite the unsavory character. He just doesn't know when to quit. He makes everybody else's business his own, and never takes no for an answer. The best part of the episode was when Shawn blew up at Cory for just that.

Shawn: That's not what I want to hear! Not this time! I want to hear that you were wrong. That I asked you to back off and you wouldn't take no for an answer. That you totally disregarded my feelings! You went way to far this time, Cory!

Bottom line: Poetic Shawn + Unbearable Cory = a horrible experience.

Luckily, we're given an Eric-centered "B" plot, to pull us out of the mire.
  • I loved it!

Everyone finds out that Shawn is a poet. Cory reads one of his poems without permission and Shawn says that the poem he wrote was about Angela. Angela slaps him. Angela confides in Cory that she still loves Shawn and Shawn confides in Topanga that he still loves Angela! Eric makes up a study habit which actually helps everyone on their finals, everyone that is, except himself. It was too relax a little. Mr. Feeny tells Eric that that does work, only if you've studied the material first! Eric had forgotten that part.

This was a great episode! The poetry was beautiful! I really hate it when two people love each other, but they don't want to other to know! Eric's plan really does work! I give this episode a 10!