Boy Meets World

The War (1)

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Feb 11, 2000 on ABC

• Lose one friend, lose another friend, lose yourself.

This is the theme that runs thoughout the whole episode. This is one of the darkest episodes of the show, which isn't all funny but actually invested in deep drama and emotion. Thanks to the cast and their strong acting ability, we see once again how human everyone truely is.
    At first the pranks one faction after the other plays on one another are harmless and fun, but soon it escilates to become hurtful, kinda like someone throwing a snowball with a rock inside it. And that's when it's war and there are two factions, Cory, Shawn and Tapanga are Faction 1. Faction 2 is made up of Angela, Rachael, and Jack. Eric is the nertral spy for both. But the more Eric is involved the more he sees how one thing is starting to lead to another, not just are the factions fighting each other but also fighting from within when negative feelings of distrust and deceit creep within them and start hurting one another for a reason or none at all. Eric realizes that he must play the peacekeeper role and put a stop to the war before it's too late. I feel at that point of the show we not just witness the raw intensity of the war and how hardened everyone has became, but some real growth on the Eric character. His character was always a little odd, being a goofball on one hand and being a level headed guy on the other. Hear he still does both but this time he's more strong on the level headed end of the weight. He comes though making everyone listen to him whether they like it or not, and also like any mediator lets everyone speak his or her part as to how they feel in the matter.

The themes of this episode are about the nature of war, what it can do to people, how much it changes them, and that no one ever really wins. I'll admit it's painful just seeing all these characters tear each other apart, it really hits home and tuged at my heart strings knowing how unsafe friendship is against the flames of hatred.
ABCFAM