Brandy & Mr. Whiskers

Get a Job / Jungle Makeover

Aired Weekdays 12:00 AM Feb 03, 2006 on Disney Channel

• A better than average start to Brandy and Mr. Whiskers' second season.

After the overall weak first season finale (containing the disheartening Freaky Tuesday and the disappointing Brain of My Existance), Brandy and Mr. Whiskers finally return for their second season. The result is...well, not a bang, but not a whimper, either. Just somewhere inbetween.

'Get a Job'--Finding a hidden shopping mall inside an abandoned Mayan temple, Brandy and Whiskers want to start shopping, but need shiny rocks for their purchases. They get a job working as food vendors, but things go wrong when Brandy starts shirking her share of work.

There was a mall inside a Mayan temple that everyone in the Amazon knew about...only before, no one seemed to know what a mall was (see 'The Babysitter's Flub'). Brandy introduced the Amazon residents to them in 'Trouble in Store'...where did that come from? (I know I probably shouldn't gripe about continuity, shows like The Flintstones and The Simpsons neglect theirs left and right), but it was odd, like how I felt about The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa (see my review).

What I liked in this episode included Whiskers' idea for a 'money tree' (it got a good laugh out of me), and there were some other consistencies, such as Brandy not wanting to work (again, stated in 'The Babysitter's Flub') and thinking the uniform would make her hips look big (self-explanatory). Of course, I know what it is like to work fast food (very hectic) so I know that it is a drag when I see a co-worker shirking their responsibilites.

What I didn't necessarily like, beyond the previously stated 'out of continuity' error, was the 'generic' nature of this episode. It just didn't seem to go anywhere. It was directed by Steve Loter and John McIntyre rather than Russell Marcus and Timothy Bjorklund, and probably due to the direction shift, the animation style differed as well. Whiskers seemed to go out of proportion (especially with his head and his arms that 'flailed') and little attention was paid to shadowing, much like McIntyre's previous work on shows such as 'The Powerpuff Girls'. In addition, it never did the Brandy and Mr. Whiskers trademark of cutting to a photo-realistic image. I missed that.

I won't say this episode was terrific, but it wasn't terrible either. Just 'in the middle'.

Jungle Makeover: Whiskers is going to throw a party, but Brandy think the treehouse needs a makeover. They return to the mall where after entering a raffle ticket, Whiskers wins a remodeled home; and Brandy can have no say in the home remodeling (she swore him off).

Okay, Timothy Bjorklund's directing again. This should be better.

While obviously meant to exist in the same continuity as 'Get a Job', 'Jungle Makeover' was the superior episode. I loved Whiskers' way he spells his name ("Mr. Whisqqqqers"), and Gaspar Le Gecko not wanting to 'let go' of Whiskers winning.

The painting part was also very funny (I can imagine someone retching around a set of walls colored like snot), and another nice touch was the 'shadowing'. This is more like the Brandy and Mr. Whiskers I came to know and love.

Still, I couldn't help but think this episode felt a little generic. It just felt like I saw this episode a bunch of times before.

Again, maybe my expectations were too high. There have been stronger episodes, but I am anxious to see future misadventures. They aren't the series' best, but it is definitely a rebound from 'Freaky Tuesday/The Brain of My Existance'.

"This is my side, that is your side, and never twain shall meet, understand?"
    --Great, let's do the same thing for McIntyre and Bjorklund, "Jungle Makeover"