Brandy & Mr. Whiskers

On Whiskers, On Lola, On Cheryl and Meryl

Aired Weekdays 12:00 AM Dec 17, 2004 on Disney Channel

• Christmas comes to the Amazon...

'On Whiskers, On Lola, On Cheryl and Meryl' marks the last episode of Season One that I had needed to see, and it, for the most part, didn't disappoint. While I think titling it 'On Ed, On Lola, On Cheryl and Meryl' would have been more appropriate, it made for a nice little holiday themed episode for the series.

'On Whiskers, On Lola, On Cheryl and Meryl'--Brandy is upset that she won't be able to spend Christmas at home with her family, so her Christmas wish this year is for Santa to bring her home. It doesn't go according to plan, though...Whiskers is terrified of Santa, thinking he must be an intruder, and tries to get rid of him. Brandy, though, learns she made Santa's 'naughty' list. After he gives her a piece of coal, she throws it up in the air...clocking Rudolph in the head, and Santa blows out his back. It's now up to Brandy, Whiskers and their friends to save Christmas.

It was an original story, I'll tell you right now. I don't think I've seen many Christmas episodes like it.

While more friendly than humorous, this episode's writing was well done and competent enough so anyone could follow it. Even Gaspar Le Gecko appeared to want to be good for the awaited day. I liked that he had only a minor role here rather than have him tag along trying to sabotage Brandy's scheme; even a villain deserves a merry Christmas. It is notable for being the first episode where we see Brandy's home (not in a picture or flashback), and Whiskers' analogy that Santa Claus sounds like a criminal mastermind got some good laughs out of me (when you think about it, it's pretty funny!).

The theme behind this episode seemed to be 'take responsibility for your actions', which I thought was a good underlying theme. Brandy knew her action against Santa would have destroyed not just her, but everyone else's, Christmas, and while at first, she thought of only herself, she does learn the true meaning of Christmas.

If there was anything I would have suggested, it might have been that a little more detail could have been provided; maybe if it was an hour long episode something more could have been done. But hey, you can only squeeze so much in one half-hour.

Another factor is Brandy foregoing her Christmas wish once inside her home. It would have been nice to see Brandy's family. But I do know that Whiskers reminds her that if she turned her back on her promise, Santa, in the future, would judge her in a particularly harsh fashion. Bad karma to an extreme measure.

The main thing I didn't like was...Santa Claus's design. Something about him...just didn't sit right with me. Now, it's not like he was depicted as a cold, emotionless CEO of a mega-conglomerate corporation (a la The Polar Express), he appears much more jolly in the B&MW world. He just reminds me somewhat of his depiction in 'The Powerpuff Girls: 'Twas the Fight Before Christmas' (which had one *creepy* Santa, I'll tell you!). I just don't know why in some forms of media, Santa Claus comes off looking...a little odd. It didn't work for the Cat in the Hat and it won't work for Ol' St. Nick.

'On Whiskers, On Lola, On Cheryl and Meryl' is a nice holiday themed episode that, chances are, I will start making a holiday tradition to watch. I am convinced that Brandy and Mr. Whiskers are strong enough hold attention for a half-hour. I've always been something of a sucker for holiday-themed episodes of a series (especially involving Christmas), so I'd seriously reccommend this episode. Merry Christmas!

"Thank you, Santa Doggy!"
    --Little Joey is going to have a lot of questions next year, 'On Whiskers, On Lola, On Cheryl and Meryl'
  • A great episode to put people in the holiday spirit.

This one one of my favorite episodes in the entire series. I would not say it was nerve wracking or all that funny it puts a little development on Brandy. It is Christmas and Brandy is upset that she will not get home to celebrate it with her family so she makes up a crazy scheme to get Santa to take her home. She tricks Santa (Which is supposed to know everything about everyone on Earth) and she gets to deliver the presents to the kids worldwide. We get to see Brandy's home for the very first time in the series but we still do not get to see Brandy's family. Which deducted the marks because I like most people want to know if she lives with other dog's or with people. The most impressive improvement of Brandy is in this episode where she decides she does not want to stay home and continues on delivering the presents. So in closing this was a great episode but it had many flaws.
  • This episode is very heartwarming. Christmas is about giving.

This episode is very special to all of us. Im sure the title of the episode was off but this episode was well written.

Brandy thinks that Santa will give her a ride back to Florida but he doesnt as he thinks shes naughty. The last straw came when she knocked him with her lump of coal. Mr Whiskers may have been slightly irritating but thats the way he is. So, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers help Santa to deliver presents to all the children of the world. But, when a kid thanks Brandy, she has that nice feeling inside her and when she is about to stay in her Harrington house, she leaves as she learns the true meaning of Christmas.

The ending made me slightly sad for Brandy but if she went home, the series will be finished! Everyone at Disney wishes you all a merry christmas! (Im not from Disney!)