Brandy & Mr. Whiskers

Disney Channel (ended 2006)

Brandy & Mr. Whiskers Fan Reviews (111)

7.8
  • Brazil seems so enticing...

Back in July 2004, when I was watching a commerical break during 'Lilo and Stitch: the Series', every so often I would see a commercial advertising a new Disney animated show called 'Brandy and Mr. Whiskers'. They didn't look like much...it looked like the two title characters just having one big block party in the jungle (a memorable shot involves Brandy and Whiskers shaking their butts at the camera), and I didn't know what to expect. One of my friends thought it looked like another 'Ren and Stimpy' wannabe (it was surprising, coming from Disney).

Come August 21, 2004, the world got their first official introduction to Brandy and Mr. Whiskers. After watching a few episodes, I was ready to deem this new show a 'Tier 2' Disney cartoon (ie. a show I would watch, but not hold dear to me).

Then, something hit me. I don't know what it was, but I started to love Brandy and Mr. Whiskers. Maybe it was the fact it was an American cartoon that was actually being an American cartoon, rather than an American cartoon that just does...'whatever works for the Japanese' that sold me (I had seen many 'anime-wannabes' since the days of 'Dexter's Labratory' and 'The Powerpuff Girls').

The setup behind the show is a well-pampered dog from Florida and a poor bunny with a horrible case of body odor fall from an airplane and crash land in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil. They must forge a friendship with themselves, and the other jungle natives, until rescue.

I know it isn't Dickens, but I like the show, after a hard day's work, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers is relaxing. As Whiskers, Charlie Adler ends up reusing voices he did for other series (at times, I hear Buster Bunny, Cow, Chicken and Mr. Bighead/the Red Guy), but his delivery is quite humorous. While not a veteran voice actor like Adler, I love Kaley Cuoco's voice acting for Brandy. Her interpetation of a dog only knowing the finer things in life is suitable, and while used to having her way, Brandy does have a sweet side, and makes her chemistry with Whiskers believable. I like how she knows she isn't perfect, and tries to learn from experiences. Due to this role, in my view, Kaley Cuoco has gone from 'John Ritter's daughter from '8 Simple Rules...' to 'the voice of Brandy Harrington, of the Florida Harringtons'.

Of the secondary characters, the strongest roles come from Lola Boa, Ed the river otter and Gaspar Le Gecko. While one can see the characters as stereotypes, they are nothing to worry about. Yes, Lola is obviously a Mexican woman, Cheryl and Meryl are dysfunctional African-American twins and Ed is the 'resident geek' but to Brandy and Whiskers, they are friendly and supportive, and willing to aid the two in time of need.

The characters' designs...are different, very Max Fleischer (think the old Betty Boop cartoons). At first, it threw me for a loop (features like the wide, expressive eyes made the characters look quite alarmed at times, like the time my cat first caught sight of a puppy), but I adjusted quickly.

I enjoy the humor, such as the cuts to photo-realistic images. It is a series I can reccommend to anyone, it's themes are appropriate for children and interesting enough for the older audiences. It's earned it's status as one of my personal 'Tier 1' Disney cartoons, as well as it's high ratings, and I hope one day to buy a 'Brandy and Mr. Whiskers' series boxset.

In addition, yes, I think Brandy is hot.