Brandy & Mr. Whiskers

Sandy & Mr. Frisky / Thinking Outside the Fruit

Aired Weekdays 12:00 AM Apr 14, 2006 on Disney Channel

• Another dog and bunny crash land in the Amazon? Not too appealing in my book. Thankfully, 'Thinking Outside the Fruit' is better.

7.4
    I had my doubts about the former episode, but thankfully the latter made it worthwhile.

'Sandy and Mr. Frisky'--Brandy and Mr. Whiskers get competitive when another dog and bunny crash land in the Amazon.

As opposed to the repeat of 'One of a Kind/Believe in the Bunny' that I would have prefered, we get a non-Easter related episode that starts with another dog and bunny landing in the jungle.

To say the least, I wasn't a big fan of the premise; they already made a first season episode involving Brandy meeting a clone of herself, in the episode 'One of a Kind'. But while Tiffany showed some signs of relatability, Sandy and Mr. Frisky are poor wannabes.

Basically, Sandy and Mr. Frisky are eerily polite, they don't make mistakes and get along perfectly; exactly the opposite of Brandy and Whiskers. Never mind the fact their designs are wierd (something about Sandy and Frisky doesn't look right to me, while I think Brandy and Whiskers look just fine); if they were to get their own show (as suggested by the ending) it would fail mainly because they don't seem very real.

Ironic, isn't it? These two are very much like Brandy and Whiskers yet they lack the realism to make an effective comedy pair.

At least, it had some good moments; the Truth or Dare game was fun while it lasted, as is Brandy and Whiskers' attempts to sabotage Sandy's party and the fact Sandy and Mr. Frisky DON'T stay in the jungle is a relief. If they stayed, they would be a redundant pair of support characters.

It's not the series' worst (that dishonor still belongs to 'Freaky Tuesday'), but there are much better episodes.

Sayonara, Sandy and Mr. Frisky. You weren't welcome while you lasted.

'Thinking Outside the Fruit'--Brandy makes a wager with Gaspar involving Whiskers' impossible goal that he dreams of coming true.

This episode, I thought was much better. It had stronger writing and better character depiction; we get classic Brandy and Whiskers proving he's not completely useless a character. It is nice to see Gaspar Le Gecko back in 'villain' stride, rather than screaming fanboy he is depicted in some other episodes.

The Announcer 'running gag' was also a funny touch; especially when he cracked saying he would chime in outside of another statement about Brandy lying.

Some animations were a little wierd, like the shot of Brandy and Whiskers screaming, but some others, like the shot of Brandy with dilated pupils (man, those were big), sat better with me. I understand that your pupils dilate around something that you like, so I thought it was a clever 'little touch'.

As these two episodes stand, 'Sandy and Mr. Frisky' is weak, but 'Thinking Outside the Fruit' is the better episode. While they both dealt with a ridiculous idea, 'Sandy and Mr. Frisky''s 'another dog and bunny' idea didn't work so well, but 'driving up the Andes Mountains in a car made of fruit' in 'Thinking Outside the Fruit' worked better. I don't truly reccommend 'Sandy and Mr. Frisky', but I would reccomend 'Thinking Outside the Fruit'.

'Brandy is ly...Oh wait. What do you know? Brandy is telling the truth!'
    --You mean, she spoke out against Sandy and Mr. Frisky?, 'Thinking Outside the Fruit'