Brandy & Mr. Whiskers

You've Got Snail / The Magic Hour

Aired Weekdays 12:00 AM Mar 17, 2006 on Disney Channel

• Well, they were just okay.

7.2
    They weren't my favorite episodes, but 'You've Got Snail/The Magic Hour' did have their moments.

'You've Got Snail'--Brandy and Whiskers try to force a cranky neighboring snail to move out from their treehouse.

Hmm...it was nothing special, really. I think it could have been stronger and it didn't appear to add anything to the characters. Mr. Cantarious, as a character, was serviceable, we know that he doesn't like Brandy and Whiskers for their loud behavior at night, hence the reason he's so cranky.

The majority of the laughs were coming from the running gag involving snail slime and Brandy (and various other characters) would run out to the creek exclaiming how gross it was. The spoof on "The People's Court" (Otter's Court) was also good for a laugh. But the end was the best bit part. I won't spoil it, it was pretty funny.

The theme might be 'Love thy neighbor'.

I know I'm stretching a little. But there wasn't a whole lot to it; 'You've Got Snail' just felt a little empty. I don't know what it is, maybe the pacing (and the fairly limited variety in laughs) had something to do with it.

All things considered, it is a passable episode.

'The Magic Hour'--Whiskers uses his old box of magic tricks to combat Gaspar and his newly discovered magic pair of socks.

This episode, I felt, was overall stronger, it adds a talent failing history to Whiskers' character and we learn why he, as a bunny, never wanted to do magic after he would fail to successfully do the 'vanishing legs' trick.

More variety in the laughs in this episode, they included Brandy condescending Gaspar's magic socks, Gaspar returning in disguise after being banished and Whiskers' card trick ("You are now wearing them as pants").

More strong antagonism between Brandy, Whiskers and Gaspar, it is always enjoyable to see them clash. The magic showdown is fun to watch, and Brandy's 'lovely assistant' garb is a nice touch.

The theme, I think, might be 'Don't abuse power'. Which is a good message, it would encourage kids to play fairly and not try to control everything in sight.

Ultimately, I think 'You've Got Snail' was something of a missed opportunity, but 'The Magic Hour' was better. They weren't my absolute favorites; they are both 'in the middle' in my book. However, they are still worth checking out.

'And if you need to borrow salt, you can borrow salt!'
    --To make peace with snails, use a saltshaker, 'You've Got Snail'