BraveStarr

The Price

Aired Weekdays 3:30 PM Oct 22, 1987 on

• My hat is off.

Don't hit me Derek, but up until I watched this episode, Bravestarr had seemed like a pretty standard action cartoon to me. Like He Man but cowboys. But in this anti-drug story, Filmation did something I had never thought they were capable of: they taught a lesson by killing someone. Lots of cartoons had a character get hooked on drugs and see firsthand how they destroy lives and futures, but it was always in time for their friends to intercede and show them what a huge mistake they were making. Bravestarr refused to play by those rules and left its message far more deeply ingrained in my impressionable psyche than any commercial about fried eggs (and if you weren't a kid in the 80's trust me, if you weren't watching a show that had an episode like this, you were watching a commercial break that had a warning about drugs). Let me restate this in case you missed it: A kid OD'd and died on a kid show. In that day and age, that was unbelievably gutsy and showed somebody was through playing nice with the material. Nice work, Filmation, I'll never forget you guys.