Breaking Bad

...and the Bag's in the River

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 10, 2008 on AMC

• Walt and His Captive Befriend While Jesse Is Doing Nothing

In the last episode, Jesse didn't exactly ace his task when he went beyond simply dissolving the body of the corpse in his RV, but also dissolved his bathtub and his floor, which resulted in him and Walt having to clean up lots of intestines an extraordinarily appetizing scene. The other thing that's still left to do is the disposal of Krazy-8, the surviving drug dealer that now involuntarily dwells in the cellar of Jesse's house. And that's the part our protagonist Walt has been assigned for.

Max Arciniega plays Krazy-8, or as he's actually named, Domingo, and although this man isn't a well-known actor, he's actually a great addition to the small cast Breaking Bad has at this point. Sadly and with spoilers ahead he isn't there anymore after this episode. And with this, I did find some flaws: we've observed that Walt and Jesse were able to hear it when Domingo was only remotely coughing in the cellar down below, but in Vince Gilligan's mind, this process functions unidirectional, as Domingo appears to haven't heard anything the other two were talking upstairs. And if he did, then he would've been aware of Walt searching the trash can for the plate shards and also that Walt didn't find one piece as he audibly uttered "Y u do dis" a couple of times. And Walt discovering that Domingo does plan to kill him through the help of a trash can was a really cheap and unbelievable trick already. But there are positive aspects about this story part as well, for example the long conversation between those two.

In general though, I consider "And the Bag's in the River" to be significantly worse than the first two episodes of the series. Reason for that is that you discover how important the writing is for this show for the first time. And what I mean with that is that once the screenplay isn't flawless, the overall picture deteriorates as well. The episode is still very good simply due to the great story and the fact that most parts of Mr. Gilligan's screenplay are excellent, yet a fall-off in quality is obvious in my opinion.
  • Growing a Pair

It was obvious from the moment the heart-to-heart started that Walt was going to kill Krazy 8 this episode. You don't do that in this kind of show without it making the murder worse on the character. The female appearances were either nags, vain or addicts, making my loathing of how this show portrays women all the worse. I did like that we didn't go back in time for once, but also have that sinking feeling that the next episode will open once again with a flashback because we didn't see how Walt dealt with Mr. 8 and the show's all about showing everything. In between the pilot and the second episode.
  • breakingbad123

Great
  • Walter finally deals with Krazy-8

When Walter has an argument with Jesse he is left alone to deal with Krazy-8 and it is clear that Walter doesn't want to kill him and he even comes up with a list of why he should or shouldn't kill him but Walter was still persuaded by Krazy-8 to set him free I never did trust Krazy-8 to stick to his word in the end and it just gave Walter a reason to kill him Walters brother in law Hank is starting to become a problem for Walter and Jesse now that he has found their meth site from the first episode This episode was left on a cliffhanger that makes you more eager to watch the next episode.
  • Jesse leaves the house while Walt is left to deal with Krazy-8 (it goes without saying there's spoilers here.. but I'll say it anyways)

There seems to be at least one or two moments per episode of Breaking Bad that comes to define that particular episode and acts as a symbol of growth for Walt or Jesse or other main characters. For this episode, it was both the discussion that Walt and Krazy-8 shared in the middle of the episode and the moment when Walt finally is forced to kill him. Vince Gilligan is so methodical with the way he sets up each and every scene leading up to the ending that when you rewatch it again, you can just sit back and marvel at how each scene connects to the next, how certain scenes that might seem inconsequential in other television shows are actually defining moments here.

It's difficult for me to figure out what my favorite Bryan Cranston moments are, but I'd say this entire episode is in the top three, at least. It finds Walt getting caught in a lie for the first time, murdering somebody with his own hands for the first time and pondering the morality of his decisions for the first and what will certainly not be the last time. And Aaron Paul has a very understated role in the episode; he grows to be a much more important character over time, but his addiction to meth, coupled with his paranoia, makes him a downward spiral type of TV character that's fascinating to watch, despite how awful he is at times.

As I mentioned before, Walt gets caught in his first big lie (this time, he tries to claim he was at the car wash place when his wife already knew he had quit.. oops!) The thing that works so well about the show (well, one of many things) is that Bryan Cranston sells every single moment that he's in Walter White's shoes. To go from a comedy show like Malcolm and the Middle to something like this takes an enormous leap from genre to genre, and he does it like nobody else I've ever seen. That scene where he kills Krazy-8 and muters "I'm sorry.." over and over was heart-breaking and you can truly feel how bad he feels about it.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing tiny little things, but with the show in hiatus until this July, I'm finding these older episodes to be just as exciting, if not more so, than the new ones. That's the sign of a good show.. it doesn't peak because every season is its peak.

A really intense episode of the series, I found myself in shock when Walt put those pieces of the plate together, I got enticed in to Walt & Domingo's conversation, and I was I guess almost relieved that Walt was going to let him go, but then when he put the pieces of the plate together, I was in shock.

This amazing drama has proved itself once again, where was I when this show first came on television? I'm barely catching up in 2010? Big mistake on my part, this is an intense amazing drama, which makes me consider other dramas on AMC.

This show is not only successful with drama but it is very successful with dark humor which is what I mentioned in my previous review. From Walt & Jesse cleaning up the insides of a person off their floor to a DEA trying to tell Walter Jr. that smoking marijuana is bad and by doing that he confronts a drug addict.

Then after the most amazing climax that might as well have been on the big screen, we get such a great cliffhanger. Walt is going to tell his wife, cannot wait for the next episode, and I must say, I'm officially hooked on Breaking Bad.
  • wow

I had heard good things about Breaking Bad, and the first few episodes proved that this show was well worth watching, but this was the episode that really secured my position as a fan of this series.

When Walt put the pieces to the plate together and realized that one was missing and that he had to kill Domingo, that kind of drama had not been on my TV in quite some time. That is when I knew that Breaking Bad was going to be a very special show, and it has been, earning Emmy wins and constant praise over the years.
  • This sure is a differen show

Surely this is a pretty different show from what we are used to...you see the whole episode..47 minutes long,and you just figure out that actually nothing really happended...i mean..this last 3 episode told walt's 2 or 3 days of life...nothing huge happened that made you jump on your seat,except maybe when you find out that one of the to drug dealers is not dead,but nothing incredible...For some people this could be a reason to stop watching the show,or maybe never start,but after all in some way this is the beauty of braking bad..it deals with the psychological aspect of the character...But probably this few episodes aren't enough to judge...i personally think that the story is setting up for something bigger....we'll just have to wait and see!
  • Best episode yet

So, this episode aired a little while ago (I am aware of this) but now I have been watching it on DVD and I really like it.
    And this episode was no exception. This episode was really tense and dark and the way it challenged the moral dilemma that Walter faced was intriguing. The scene where (Spoiler Ahead) Walter was piecing together the plate was so heartbreaking how he had felt relieved that he may not have to kill this person and then to learn it was all an act... Tense! (End Spoiler)
    This really ramped up where the show was going and I liked it a lot. I hope the next few episodes are just as good.
  • You know...

Well, the last episode seemed to leave you hanging. They flipped a coin, right? Well with Jesse having held up his end of the dirty deal that just leaves Krazy-8 and Walt. But Walt isn't a cold hardened killer as so normally television characters seem to be capable of being without any thought of their actions nowadays, just look at Jack Bauer. Walt looks for a reason to kill Krazy-8 but just can't find the heart to do it. Even as the two share a beer and Jesse continues to put pressure on him, Walt won't budge. What's so convincing is that Walt only kills Krazy-8 out of self-defense after he makes a convenient plate shank when Walt falls down the stairs unconscious, Walt then apologizes loudly as he uses the bike chain attached to his neck to slowly strangle his new "acquaintance." Very strong performance from Cranston and a realistic take on how hard it is to take a life make this a truly great episode of this new series.
ABQ