Breaking Bad

Bit by a Dead Bee

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 22, 2009 on AMC

• Clearly not as rememberable as the last episode, but still very good.

With Tuco dead, the biggest fuzz for Walt and Jesse is over. However, the two still have to think up believable excuses for their abstinence the one to his family and doctors, the other to the police. Logically, there's less thrill than in the last episode, but "Bit by a Dead Bee" still provides us with outstanding dialogues and acting performances.

Other than the awesome pre-credits sequence (I find myself saying that in virtually every single review for a Breaking Bad episode, but it's just true), this episode is the origin of a temporary style of the show that I do not approve of: lots of talking and barely any doing. Don't get me wrong, the show always has a great screenplay, yet that can't ever keep up with scenes like we've seen them in "Grilled" just one episode ago. Anyway, since I'll focus on this critic point quite a lot in reviews for episodes after this one, why not emphasize the positive parts of these 50 minutes. Bryan Cranston, for one. There's not one episode of the show in which he isn't good, but when he portrays a character that actually portrays another character in front of his family (hope you get what I mean), he's extraordinarily good. In a conversation with a psychiatrist, a telephone call with Jesse, or a nocturnal promenade Cranston always manages to keep his character the center of attention.

The suspicion of Skyler was not what I'd call entertaining to see, but at least it contributed to the realism of Breaking Bad and same goes for the Jesse story part. Altogether though, I enjoyed "Bit by a Dead Bee" almost just as much as its preceding episode.
  • Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

So far every episode of Breaking Bad this season scored lower than the previous episode. Granted we are only three installments in, but I have a feeling the 13 episode order is going to cause the events of the lives of these characters to be stretched out more as opposed to the 7 episodes of last year.

There was some top-notch subtle dark comedy that this show is famous for from Jesse (such as calling Tuco Taco, and mocking his aged relative, and you cannot forget Walt doing the naked man, twice) but this episode definitely dragged at points.

I understand we're going to get some filler episodes but hopefully next week is better than this.
  • Walt and Jesse form a plan to get back to their normal lives.

After last week's freight train of an episode, this was sort of the slow-down before it stops at the station before it fuels up. However, the way the writers are able to maneuver through the plot and figure out clever ways for characters to escape getting caught is incredible, way better than shows like Dexter, which despite being an awesome show in itself, finds really lame cop-outs for the same thing.

There was a lot of subtle things going on in the episode. Knowing Jesse was responsible for what was happening at Tuco's house made it that much funner to watch his lies to Hank and Gomez while they interrogated him. Jesse may be somewhat of a burn-out, but he's definitely more intelligent than people would give him credit for. In fact, over the three years of the show, I'd be tempted to say he's just as interesting of a character as Walter White, and that his acting skills are nearly as great as Bryan Cranston's.

We also get some subtle glimpses at the crumbling of Walt's marriage; his reaction to Skyler's questions come across as too schmaltzy and confused. She can see through what he's saying, and even if he's playing the cancer card and trying to make people feel bad for him, he's making it awfully hard on himself. Sometimes, I sit and wonder why in the world Walter continues to do the things he does. He sees what he's doing to his family, and despite them needing money, he knows he could've taken Elliott's money from Grey Matter. For me, this was the first time I really started questioning Walt's motives and I actually started to realize that maybe he's addicted to that thrill of cooking and that he'd be nothing without it (you see this a lot in Season 3).

Not as fast of an episode as the week before, but it still has that typical tension that comes with an episode of Breaking Bad.

Another very intriguing episode of Breaking Bad, and even though the drama wasn't as intense as the past two episodes, it was still an intriguing entertaining watch. From Walt & Jesse walking away from the shootout to Jesse getting questioned by Hank, it was a great episode.

Now I don't even notice if the episode is slow paced anymore, even if it is slow paced, we got some great drama that we saw a lot of here. Walter being naked in a grocery store was quite interesting, a great cold opening definitely, it leaves you saying, "Whaa-?" Although there weren't a lot of interactions between Jesse & Walt, this episode tied up a lot of loose ends, and continued the story arcs quite nicely. I was in utter shock when we saw the uncle at the DEA's station, the bell continued to cause some definite tension.

Walt pretends to have amnesia, Jesse briefly gets questioned, and it looks like things are going to get back to normal, great development here, great episode.
  • Back to normal?

Walt secures a cover story after having showed up naked in a grocery store with no recollection from when he had wandered off. He is admitted to a hospital for inspection and confides a lie of his hating his life circumstances to a hospital psychiatrist who is analyzing him. Meanwhile, Jesse (with the DEA having found his car at the site of Tuco and Hank's shootout) gets his "special friend" and gives the police probable cause to enter the room. The DEA takes Jesse in and interrogates him and he and his friends stick to the same story and that his car had been stolen. The DEA however, has a surprise witness who can tear the whole thing right open, or do they? And Walt's wandering is called a one time instance and it will surely "never happen again." Overall a good episode and how our two favorite meth cowboys of ABQ can get their lives back on track.