Breaking Bad

Breakage

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 05, 2009 on AMC

• A Slight Betterment, But Parts of This Episode Were Still Unnecessary

After I was rather disappointed by the previous episode, "Breakage" is a notable improvement in quality while still not coming close to the outstanding episodes at the end of season one/beginning of season two. Maybe this is due to the ever changing writers and directors of Breaking Bad's episodes, but I seriously felt a genuine change of style between this and the last episode and that as there weren't any major changes plotwise.

Cue plotwise, "Breakage" deals with the new style of drug contribution Walt and Jesse attempt, Hank becoming scatterbrained after a long-awaited promotion, and Skyler still having immense troubles with the lies of her husband and her sister. Of those three parts, I only really enjoyed the first one as Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul once again impressed me with their wonderful on-screen chemistry, one of the show's biggest assets that is additionally promoted by the excellent writing. In fact, the writing was so good that I didn't even mind seeing Badger and Skinny Pete again, which in my opinion are the two worst characters on the show. For the one and only time in all five seasons, my favorite scene of the episode actually involved these two characters: a consummately shot and edited drug dealing montage. I remember writing something similar for my reviews on earlier episodes, but I can't help myself: whenever it comes to scenes like that (or also the drug cooking process), I'm gazing at the television screen in awe.

As with the contras, I was annoyed by yet another puking scene I had to endure in this episode. Of course, it adds to the realism the show wants to convey, but seeing such things is just utterly disgusting and I didn't find any necessity in including that scene. That also applies for a couple of other scenes in "Breakage"; some others weren't executed as well as they could have been (Hank's promotion). Possibly, just two episodes for the episodes 3, 4, and 5 of this season could've helped to sort out some of the really useless parts and would've made them less boring when you watch them for a second time.
  • Not as strong as the beginning of the season, but does a great job building up the suspense. (Spoilers are scattered throughout, so beware...)

Walt may claim he has no street smarts and that he's simply a chemist, and he may also claim that he doesn't want to get into bed with another Tuco-esque distributor, but I think that he doesn't quite realize just how similar to Tuco he is. Sure, he doesn't crush up meth with a knife and snort it, and he doesn't beat the crap out of random people, but he does have the ability to do the tough thing. He knows what needs to be done, and when Jesse and Jesse's new henchmen end up losing a thousand bucks, Walt gives Jesse a gun and tells him to handle it. How about that for a chemistry teacher?

That's basically the end of the episode, and it may seem weird to start off a review that way, but I must say, it certainly sets the tone for the rest of the season. Walt does things now that he never would've done in the first season, things he knows that are necessary to avoid him and Jesse's business going down the drains.

The rest of the episode is made up of some nice little moments. I think this was the big episode that helped me view Hank as more than just a secondary character looming in the background to fill up remaining episode time. When I wrote my first review for this episode, I said his plot wasn't any good, but I think it's actually a good way to get his character more invested in the show. I still think Marie is a pain in the neck and that her actions don't require the amount of attention they actually get.

And I still think that the relationship between Walt and Skyler and the way it's slowly crumbling makes for great television. It's funny how Walt thinks he has a one-up on Skyler for finding the cigarettes she's been smoking and then gets it shoved back in his face. The "fugue state" alibi he comes up with was weak at best and I'm glad to see somebody acknowledging it.

I wouldn't exactly consider this a filler episode, or any of these episodes filler.. it does what it needs to do in advancing the plot forward and includes at least a few interesting things that keep it from being pointless.
  • Filler.

7.3
    I don't know, I just don't feel the same way I did about Breaking Bad as I did last season. The writing is still strong and they still have me hooked until the end credits begin rolling, but that magic that was there last season is just missing.

I feel like they're purposely stretching out storylines that should be resolved over the course of one episode, instead of making them arcs. Why couldn't Jesse "deal" with the situation today?

Walt was also pretty much absent from any major storyline and just sort of there throughout the course of the episode.

Not bad, but not a classic.

This season continues to be superb and even though nothing "big" is going on right now on Breaking Bad, it's still one of the most enjoyable hours of television of the week. The writing continues to amaze me, in this episode in particular, so did the direction. We got a lot of development here, I'm glad they didn't go down the same path as to find another distributor. Jesse becomes a distributor and has past friends sell for him, it was almost like a promotion. Jesse starts putting his life back together with his new income.

The Walt & Jesse scenes continue to be flawless and are easily the most enjoyable of the show, the end cliffhanger was intriguing. Walt hands Jesse a gun, and wants him to "take care of it." Very intriguing final scene and it got me excited to watch the next episode.

Skyler does have a reason to be mad at Walt, but she has become just unlikable now that she put her baby in danger and is just cold to Walter. Hank's storyline, I didn't care much for, I felt like he was shoved center stage but it was a great tie in from the opening scene to the final scene. Just another superb episode of Breaking Bad for many reasons.
  • A 'classic' episode in every sense of the word.

Walk and Jesse must resort to teaming up again together - but this time with a new plan for distribution, as Tuco is as dead as disco. This brings a heated mini-discussion between the two of them on how to go about doing so; Walt thinks Jesse should sell at night while Walt cooks during the day. Jesse thinks Walt's idea is crazy. So that leaves them three choices; Walt comes up with this first two, Jesse the third:

1. They go into bed with yet another homicidal lunatic (Walk is of course referring to Tuco).
    2. Jesse selling whatever Jesse can of their inventory.
    3. Jesse suggests that Walt and he 'become' the new Tuco. Cut out the middleman and run their own game.

This episode also featured the introduction of Ms. Ritter, who was a great addition to the show, and health issues arising with Hank. All in all, one of my favorite episodes of the show ever.
  • "I want you to handle it."

The episode begins with Jesse moving into a duplex apartment managed by a girl named Jane and he promises to pay cash up front for rent each month and goes by an alias of Jesse Jackson. Next he goes to Badger's cousins lot and offers to pay the guy for damages for example the portable restroom he ruins, the fence when he broke the RV out, etc. So the guy will store the RV meth lab until Jesse needs it again. Then Jesse follows Walt's advice that he needs to get "foot soldiers" and gets a whole team full of dealers together to work for him and sets up the chain of command. In no time his crew is selling big deals, but something goes awry when Skinny Pete is held at knife point and the meth he's carrying is stolen by a couple of junkies. Walt gets his cut of the past weeks deal but when he realizes that he is a little short and Jesse tells him of the rip off Walt tells him to "handle it." Jesse then grabs his gun and is on his way to do some enforcing.